Guns in SL County

gznokes

Very Active Member
It seems there is a lot of confusion about guns and hunting in Salt Lake County--not just from citizens but also from government agencies.

I called the DWR today to ask if was legal to shoot a cow elk with a rifle in hunt "4124 Wasatch Mtns Salt Lake ANY LEGAL WEAPON" (these are the canyons on the east side of the Valley, South of I-80, to Draper). The person on the phone said it is not legal because while the hunt code says "any legal weapon" shooting a rifle within those boundaries is not legal period--therefore a rifle is not legal. When I asked, "Why is it legal to hunt mountain goats with a rifle in Little Cottonwood Canyon?, he said because that is a special circumstance".

Anyway, I decided the guy didn't know what he was talking about so I called the Sheriff's office. The dispatch guy just said to look it up online but had an officer call me back when i said I'd appreciate a little more insight. The officer had to call his supervisor after I asked the question but said, basically the old law that you had to be a mile from a structure isn't in place any more and that the state law of 600 feet is what applied so long as one was out of the city limits. Therefore shooting in most canyons in Salt Lake City is legal.

So here are my questions
1. can I hunt with a rifle in that area 4124 if I draw that permit?
2. Even if it is legal, is it worth the hassle of dealing with misinformed citizens and people in government who might not be aware of the rule? It's just a stupid cow elk permit.
3. Are there other parts of the puzzle I'm missing?

Mr GZ,
I can't answer your questions but have a comment anyway.
It would appear that you've done more research and have more knowledge about the legal issues than the folks who are in charge of enforcing them.
I would guess that the "special goat hunt circunstances" is no different than any other rifle hunt. If you follow the code and stay the appropriate distance away from permanent structures it SHOULD be fine.
Sounds like it's open for interpretation. That's never a good thing for a hunter with a gun!

I would hope someone on here would have a definitive answer to these important questions.

Good luck, Zeke

I asked the same question to Logan City PD about the east side of Cache Valley. They told me to be 600 feet away from any structure and outside of Logan City Limits (the same thing you were told).

The officer also asked nicely if I would move up the mountain a little so they didn't have to get any calls.

Go shoot something.

Grizzly

If I remeber right the laws in Salt Lake County used to be different. Prior Big Game proclamtions used to have different rules wirtten that were restrictive up to a half mile (even though the DNR didnt speak for the county.) I think they ended up just adopting the Utah Code which is the 600 feet rule. I think part of it may have had to do with the Emigration issues last year.

I think there is a misconception on the Wasatch front because of the Archery only deer hunts.

Thanks for the info!! I think the info has always been a little bit misleading on this subject.
I was going to put in for that tag at the last minute, but was unsure of the rules and regulations. Not enough time to make sure of the rules so I ended up not putting in, didn't want to draw and then not be able to hunt with a rifle.

I have asked a few different people or have asked the dwr before. I was told about the 3 canyons in SLC area, that they are archery deer and elk only, but you are able to hunt moose and goats with any leagel weapon as long as you are 600 yards away from structures and out of city limits and not on the ski resorts.

So go kill something with your rifle if its goats or moose. I would be a little extra carefull/cautious because of all the hippy tree hugging weirdos. Just go that extra distance so here is no question. Good luck.

The way the old county ordance was worded was in a nutshell : no discharge within a mile of a building that could be occupied , no discharge unless it was for a legal and prescribed hunt or at a designated range .

The last District Attorney decided the county ordance was too restrictive . There is a new District Attorney and I know the matter is being addressed again from special interest groups .

So to answer your question . Yes you could use a rifle on that late season cow hunt . Just a heads up on the fact you are going to run in to a bunch of hikers , joggers , tree huggers on the Desolation trail and that area where the cows will be late season . Those tree huggers call about every thing and any thing so make sure you have all your ducks in a row .

I looked up the ordinance last winter to see if we could hunt dogs up on the front. All county wording on the subject had been crossed out which leaves the distance to structures at 600' per state law.

Right now there is no Salt Lake County code for the discharge of weapons anywhere in the county that I could find in written form.

You can hunt anywere on the front from just 200 yards away from homes and cabins.

Make sure you double check before your hunt to see if they have changed the law by then, just in case.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks for chiming in with your experiences and confirmation of my interpretation.

It sounds like an issue we will need to stay abreast of in case the district attorney ever revisits it.

Whatever the law, I'm personally going to take into account the likelyhood of having a run in with someone who is misinformed if I decide to carry or shoot on the wasatch front because while i may be within my rights, I also don't want to cause a hassle for myself, or any of the law enforcement who might have to respond.

I also think it is helpful to have this issue addressed because it will help members of this site explain the rules and laws to people who might be misinformed.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom