gun/scope combo Question?

A

AyA

just bought me a 378 weatherby magnum
got me a bushnell 3 X 9 scope
got the heavy duty weaver type base & rings
I think i've got a bad barrel?
every time i pull the trigger on paper at 50 yards,it seems to throw a 3 foot pattern
I've been known to pull a little but sumptins wrong

nice post/thanks for sharring

You need to drink some aiming oil....start off with 80 proof

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-15-10 AT 10:48PM (MST)[p]378 weatherby what are you going to Africa ? Its probably kicking you so bad you shooting all over the place. I am not recoil sensitive,and the 378 was the worst kicking gun I have ever shot. I think it knock a filling lose.
Sorry ...Make sure nothing came loose,the rings or bases. My dad had one shear a bolt off of one of the bases.
If you are recoil sensitive that is not the gun for you !!

ain't nothin loose on that Bushnell
I dosed every screw with Loc-Tites strongest thread locker
I've since checked every screw,can't budge any of them
the first time I shot it I run a quick 2 box's(40 rounds) through it with a pillow between the gun & my shoulder,the barrel should be broke in now?

First off you need to throw that piece of shat bushnell in the trash and get a real scope! If your going to shoot a gun that big the only scope I would put on that bad boy is a tasco!
Go to wal- mart and quit being a tight wad and buy the tasco 3-9 with a 30mm lens. Its on sale for $67.99 you will never look back!

Oh and next time use two pillows between the gun and your shoulder!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-10 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]So let me get this right...you bought a Porsche 911, you put some used worn out bald tires on it, and now you don't like your car because it doesn't corner well? Hmmm...

I agree with one_dryboot...toss the Bushnell. You have a really high end expensive gun with a cheap ass scope...where do you think the weak link is here??? Don't get me wrong, Bushnells have their place, but it is NOT on a Weatherby rifle.

Personally my rule of thumb is to spend roughly a same amount on my scope that I spent on my rifle. And with that cannon you're shooting I would definately follow that rule of thumb.

Myself I'm a Leupold fan. You can't beat the warranty and the quality is fantastic!

Good luck!

GrizlyHunter

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-10 AT 07:05AM (MST)[p]Yankin' our chain is he??

Last time I ever try to help.

GrizlyHunter

P.S.-Maybe you should sell that POS gun and keep the scope.
P.S.S.-Nice name too. Honestly though, I have a friend with that name. It's really hard to introduce him without smiling.

The only Scope you should put on that kind of gun is a Leupold or Nightforce,They are the only ones that can hold up to that much gun.

No - AyA has it right. Bushnell is the way to go for that gun. Nightforce or Swarovski or anything else (except maybe besides the Tasco) would be too much optics for that caliber.

I think 3 foot groups are great. It might take you a few more shots than normal AyA but you can get 'er done for sure. Just need to sew another couple of pillows into the shoulder of your hunting jackets.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

That grouping sounds about right for a 378-
just need to sneak in real close when shooting at game.
carry lots of shells, like teddy r. used to say, shoot fast and shoot often.

The barrel probably isn't broke in yet with just a quick 30-40 shots. You should put aprox 300-400 rounds thru it & squirt a little WD40 down the barrel everyonce in awhile. You should see a noticeable difference in the accuracy after that!

7 Mag

thanks for all those that tried to help.

The WD-40 is a good idea 7mag, why didnt I think of that!Rust prevention and I bet you get more speed from the bullet too. 300-400 rounds isnt what I want to hear, 378 bullets are very expensive. The guy at the store told me it was because they were made from depleted uranium.

The scope is fine, it is the scope mounting that needs improvement. If you have not incorporated duct tape and bailing twine...you need to do that immediately. Duct tape and baling twine can be used to fix anything...anything.

As for the barrel...has it been properly tempered? If not wait for a real hot day...drink a minimum of 6 beers (twelve is better). Shoot your rifle 20 times as fast as you possibly can and then pee down and on the barrel. Water does not work, human urine resulting from beer consumption is best. Not sure why, but it works. Good luck.

I think some of you guys are yankin my chain! Why would I pee on my gun? I've pee'd on hot steel before, it really stinks.

I've been breaking her in, my ears havent stopped ringing for two days, it has a brake and is very loud. I looked online and I guess what I have is called tinnitus. Looks like I'll have to start wearing earplugs, but I dont have any handy. Will cottonballs work ok?

Get some of those OB ear plugs. Just add water if you need them larger .If that thing kicks you in the nose you can use it to stop the bleeding to. Good luck

You have a muzzle brake on it and it still kicks that bad. I would change the scope for sure. Luepold or nikon. make sure the rings aren't too tight. You are supposed to torque them and it's not too much.

You have a muzzle brake and it still kicks that bad. Maybe you are anticipating the recoil and jumping. You should for sure change scopes. Luepold or nikon are my favs. Make sure the scope rings aren't too tight b/c they are supposed to be torqued not tightened all the way until they don't move. I would change the rings and bases too weaver aren't my go to rings and bases. I would rahter have leupold or teh one piece bases and rings made by deadnutz or the bass pro z2alloy aren't bad either.

When I see that AyA has started a new thread, I instantly reach for my "BS Card". But this one has been entertaining. My advise is to lean closer to the scope "so you can see the target better".

+1 get close and lean into it.

You could also put some of your old used transmission fluid down the barrel it will cool it better then your piss. Then tape some of your unused maxi pads to your ears you don't want to be giving us the NRA salute in a few months.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

try holding it about an inch from your shoulder too when you squeeze the trigger....and relax....

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

AYA! Don't you think that you're getting real close to your limit of the fish that you been catching?
Wait! I guess there isn't a limit on suckers, so if they keep biting, keep baitin! :)

better yet AYA put the cannon away and pick up one of these.
5010backwards-gun--38919.jpg

It will solve the problems you've been having with guns/vehicles. lol

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-10 AT 08:29AM (MST)[p]This has got to be one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time. I REALLY hope AyA is joking, because otherwise I fear for our species and the future of hunting.

I got a particular kick out of the fact that the biggest LEUPOLD fans couldn't spell the word correctly!

that wasn't very nice andrew
bet if Bushnell was the only scope builder you'd own several of them
plick

LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-10 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]Come on you thought that was funny.

Friends don't let friends shoot a bushnell!

Unless that was the only thing made. Then our deer situation would be solved because no one would hit a thing!!!

respect my authorita

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-10 AT 06:34PM (MST)[p]>thanks for all those that tried
>to help.
>
>The WD-40 is a good idea
>7mag, why didnt I think
>of that!Rust prevention and I
>bet you get more speed
>from the bullet too. 300-400
>rounds isnt what I want
>to hear, 378 bullets are
>very expensive. The guy at
>the store told me it
>was because they were made
>from depleted uranium.

hehehehe,thats what an m1a1 shoots.and its more accurate.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom