Gun safes

J

Jersey

I want to buy a gun safe. Does anyone have any recomendations? Also, I am going to have to put it in my basement, so I am worried about moisture.

Thanks for any help.

Jersey,

I bought a Liberty. Is it the best? I dont know, but I have been very pleased with it. Kind of middle of the line in quality and size. I believe it is the Franklin model? Holds 8-10 guns, my optics, and important papers. I think it is rated at 1200 degrees for 45 minutes?

I got a Browning 52 gun a few years ago. It'll hold all my long guns, hand guns, optics, rangefinder, GPS and other valuables & gadgets. It was a mid range Browning safe, it also had the 1200 deg 45 min rating.

I would say get one bigger than you think you need and maybe it will be big enough, lol!

I put mine in my basement too. I used heavy weight tar/felt paper on some plywood about 1" larger in dimension than the bottom and back of my safe. I tacked the paper to the plywood, put the plywood with the tar paper side facing toward the masonry wall and the concrete floor and sat the safe on the floor and slid it back to the wall into the other piece of plywood. That way moisture can't get to the bottom or back of the safe from the masonry/concrete.

Then on the inside a put four (4) 7 watt bulbs that I let stay on 24/7 to keep the inside dry and warm. The de-humidification rods are okay but I have heard they quit quite often and you don't really know if they're working or not. With the four bulbs there is no chance that all four will go out simultaneously so I'll always have some heat and when I notice a burnt out bulb I replace it. If they're burning I always know they're working. ;-)

And I bolted it down to the floor with some 1/2" bolts and concrete expansion type anchors.

Wow, I agree with Marco.
Get the Fort Knox and also get the Dehumidifier rod.

Great topic, thanks for the post. For the guys recommending Fort Knox can you tell me the price range, approximately? I've been considering buying a gun safe for a while and really need to pull the trigger pretty soon. I try to live by the motto "buy it nice or buy it twice" but when it comes to gun safes I cannot afford the top of the line ones that run $6K or more. I'd really like to find one around $1500, perhaps even a used one. Can anyone recommend a good gun safe that will hold 15 rifles with room for optics and a few hand guns for less than $2K? Or am I crazy to think I could find one in that price range which is fire proof and truly safe?

LBR

If you have a cold storage and don't plan on moving then look at a vault door. By doing this you have everything locked up and lot's of room for other stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom