Gun Question

justr_86

Long Time Member
When I was 14 my dad bought me a Remington model 700 BDL in a 270 win. I used it for about 10 years then cleaned it up nice and retired it more or less after buying a bigger caliber rifle. I was going through reminicing all the memories from each gun I have and just doing little touchups on cleaning and polishing and noticed a little bit of rust starting to build up. I dont use alot of oil when I clean just enough to get it done right. Why is it getting rust in my gun cabinet??? What can I do to stop it on this gun and keep it from happening on any of my others? All of my guns have alot of sentimental value and I really dont want their condition to keep deteriorating so I can pass them down to my sons when I'm no longer a pain in their butt. Any help will be appreciated.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I live in a dry area so do not really have the problem, but, I know several guys that keep a dehumidfier plugged in, inside their safes to keep moisture out.
I am sure you will get more specifics from others on your post.

fyi even if you live in a dry area and you have a propane heater you can still get rust. propane heaters put out water vapors. best advice is to oil your guns. not WD40!! or put a dehumidifier in your cabinet.

Northeastern utah is a pretty dry area. I do have a propane heater though, that never even crossed my mind. Good point though. I will look into a dehumidifier thanks for the help guys.
Why is it the only one showing signs of rust? I have others that haven't been shot for a longer period of time and they look great.

P.S. No wd40.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have a little silicone disk in my safe that turns pink if there is moisture in the safe. Pretty cheap from cabelas. Dehumidifiers are an easy fix. I still use my A bolt I got when I was 16, to me a gun is a memory, break out that rem., I bet you will get more enjoyment out of it because of the memories. I bet it means more to you than it will to your kids. Dad died a while back, but everytime I strap on that .06' it brings back the memories of him and I hunting together. Yeah I love guns, and have bought a ton, and I know there are better calibers than the 06', but that gun is my big game gun. Keep your .270 and buy your kids new guns so that when your gone, they have that piece of history that is part of the life you and them had together. My .02

I will buy them their own rifles and shotguns as they get old enough. I was just talking about I want it to still be in really good condition when I die for an inheritance. I still love to shoot the gun and it goes hunting with me from time to time.the gun I killed my First coyote, buck, bull, fox and lots of varmints with.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom