Gun question, refinish

bowhunt

Long Time Member
Hey guys,
I have an Old Pre 64 model 70. It is in pretty good shape. The mechanics are perfect, but the stock is a little worn.

Will the value of the gun be diminished if I refinish the original stock?

Thanks.

Mike

bowhunt, normally refinishing a collector will downgrade value by a good margin. What you need to figure out is if you have a true rare M-70 that will draw top dollar from a collector. Or do you have a not so rare pre-64 M-70 that has more value as a good hunting rifle and would be a good one for refinishing and using it in the field.

Things that would make it or break it as a true collector is it a standard grade or is it one of the "Super Grade" models. What caliber is it? A very common caliber or one of the rare calibers that very few were made. You will need to do more research and make the decision to keep it original or refinshing it and get many more years out of it in the hunting field.

RELH

A gun needs a little character. I like my stuff all pretty too but some things are better left as is.

Semper Fi

I have a lot of guns most not abused but with nicks and other signs or use on both my rifles and shotguns. It really doesn't bother me at all. I look at the wear and nicks as memories of great times in the field. The knick on the comb of my Orion occurred just after I shot my only triple on pheasants with a double gun. My .300 has some blueing wear from a memorable backcountry hunt with a scabbard that wasn't quite right. Now if I was looking to sell them I'd follow RELH advice. It depends on what you're going to do with the gun.

Thanks RELH, that is what I was looking for.
I am not going to refinish.
Thank you very much!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom