Gun & Ammo Taxes: Should I be Proud?

gznokes

Very Active Member
The NRA publication this months has a blurb by J Scott Olmsted, editor in Chief.

"We should be proud to know each of our meager purchases, taken collectively, does more every year to protect the land and wildlife we love than any other group of Americans."

He reports "excise taxes collected on firearm and ammunition sales were up 29% in the 3Q of 2009 compared to the same period in 2008. That shakes out to $116 million collected between July and Sept of 2009 that we gave to wildlife conservation--almost $450 million for the fiscal year.

Can someone put this in perspective for me? Should I really be proud of this? I know I won't agree with how every dollar is being spent in any program but I'd be surprised if I agreed with how 25% was being spent. As a general rule I am disgusted at how much this country taxes things.

Scott is talking about the Pittman-Robertson exise tax which was established in 1937. It is a tax on firearms, ammo, archery and other hunting goods. This is the primary funding for hunter safety departments throughout the country and accounts for lots of habitat restoration and other good projects.

The Clinton administration abused this tax and none of the money was being used for what it was intended during his administration. There was a new law inacted that prevented this from happening again. It does account for a higher cost of goods but it's been here since before most of our grandparents were buying guns.

....and if I had to guess it payed all wolf expenses...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom