guide tip question

marley

Very Active Member
As this will be my first time on a guided hunt next week, what is the customary amount of money to tip a guide? I know that it can vary with work ethic, experience and so forth, but lets assume I kill a monster (who knows if I will) and my guide worked his tail off which I know he will based on who I am with. Thanks for any help with this. I want to be good and fair.

10% at least for a good guided hunt. If your happy with him and feel your hunt was a success then you decide but at least 10%.

Why is it everyone wants tips after you already paid for the service? This is not about guides just the tip in general. Just wondering, every where you go now has a tip jar. Tip's seem like tax's anymore.

I have always used the 10% rule but have a question for everyone. So on a stone hunt that now costs close to 40k you should you tip the guide 4k? This seems rediculous to me. I had some business associates that went on a stone hunt and tipped each one of their guides 1k and they guides were offended by it.

I have thought a ton about this topic, I feel like I tip only on the effort of the person. Wether it be a waitress or guide. If I can tell the person is putting a ton of effort and doing their best, I tip very gracious. However if they are horrible and just going through the notions, I refuse to tip. I have even told someone my reasons for not tipping.
To answer your question, if the guide did that good of a job I would leave a very good tip, over 15%, reguardless of size of animal. Hunting is about the experience.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Very good point! If a person is making 40,000.00 on a sheep hunt he is so far over paid it is ridiculous. He should be bending over back wards for you and insisting on no tip. I fell the tipping is out of control. It was meant for waitressing not guiding. Guides make very good money and 10% is a very big tip.

i guided for 10 yrs.

as far as tips, everyone is different. i once had a guy who had saved for 8 yrs come on his dream hunt. he killed a good bull, and was a blast to hunt with. he was almost in tears apologizing that he could only tip me $100.00. i was happy with it, that hunt went down as a memory for me to.

i also had a rich bass-turd tip me 800.00 buck for him and his buddy who both shot big bulls, were cocky and arrogent to be around, wouldn't put forth any effort to hunt, shot the bull and sat back and wouldn't even hold a leg for me while i gutted it for him. that joker was a cheap S.O.B as far as i'm concerned.

joe blow, that has saved forever, shouldn't be expected to tip like mr. rich guy , who does this a couple times a year.

if he workes his butt off- treat him right! (but on YOUR budget)

" Guides make very good money and 10% is a very big tip. "
Now that's funny right there. Guides typically don't make shiznut. 10% is the standard, and should NOT be based upon the kill, but rather the experience.

Whats funny they make damm good money! If you guide and you don't then your and idiot.

You go on about the guides making all this money. The guide service may make all this money yes. But most of the time the actually guide that you are on the hunt with dont make shiz except for what you tip him. So when you say a 40 grand sheep hunt should not deserve a tip. Im sure the guide dont see much of that 40 grand. Plus if you got 40 grand to drop on a sheep hunt you got to much damn money anyway so whats another 4 grand to the guy who made it happen.

Bearman, you obviously haven't been a guide yourself or you'd know better than to make that statement. The master guide or outfitter might do alright, but the subguides out in the field definitely aren't raking it in by any means. By the time you factor in all the wear and tear on your equipment there's not much to be made at all. And even most master guides or outfitters, by the time you factor in licenses, insurance, and all other costs that they have their net take home would surprise you. Most guides aren't in the guiding business to get rich.

>You go on about the guides
>making all this money.
>The guide service may make
>all this money yes.
>But most of the time
>the actually guide that you
>are on the hunt with
>dont make shiz except for
>what you tip him.
>So when you say a
>40 grand sheep hunt should
>not deserve a tip.
>Im sure the guide dont
>see much of that 40
>grand. Plus if you
>got 40 grand to drop
>on a sheep hunt you
>got to much damn money
>anyway so whats another 4
>grand to the guy who
>made it happen.

wow... it is interesting to see all the differing opinions on this regarding the high dollar sheep hunts. I know most guides work their ass off but I don't know if you can say they are the ones that make it happen. There are alot of factors that come into play to make it happen including the outfitter and their responsiblities and also the hunter. I just feel that tipping 4k for a 40k hunt is expecting too much. Also, I think the tip should be based upon how hard the guide works, how long the hunt was, etc. I think that 10% has always been a good rule of thumb until the costs of these hunts went way out of line. I don't have 40k to go on a hunt so I guess I don't have to worry about it.

I just did a guided elk hunt. My guide did a great job. I tipped him $350. It wasn't a percent, it wasn't based on how hard he worked, it was what I could afford. He seemed appreciative. I tipped the cook, the wrangler, and two other guides for some stuff they did around camp. IMO, if a guide goes into the business expecting a big tip from every hunter, than he needs to get the hell out. And I know most guides don't expect that, so tip what you think is reasonable and what you can afford...

You have no clue who you are talking to! I'm not a Utah city person acting like a hunter. I have been asked by just about every guide around my area to guide for them. We are talking about Guides not a sub. The guides make lots of money and the subs don't make crap. Anyone working for 100 dollars a day or what ever their master guide is paying them is crazy. Once again the Master guide is making lots.

Bearman
What do you think is "lots" of money?
I'm not 100% on what it's called in Utah, but in Colorado it's called outfitter, head guide, and guide. An outfitter owns a company and hires guides to work for him. A head guide is simply one who is the most experienced, like a foreman on a jobsite.
In Alaska it's called Master guide, assistant guide, and packer.

Now, maybe it's different in Utah, but the lingo that you are using, and the money you think they make, makes me think you are not in the hunting industry.

I know exactly who I am talking to, Brandon. I live in the same great state of NV that you do. And again, especially in NV, the master guides are not raking it in. Most master guides I know don't just guide for a living, they have to get other jobs outside of hunting to supplement their income. From reading your posts on here regarding guiding I can tell that you're not a fan of the industry, but you wrong if you think their getting rich.

Regarding the tipping, like others have said, I think it all depends on how the hunt went and what you can afford.

If you go out of the country to hunt,especially for Sheep,in many places they will ask you straight out how much you are going to tip before you even start.And if your guide doesnt like what you say,you dont always get the full tour...

>You have no clue who you
>are talking to! I'm not
>a Utah city person acting
>like a hunter. I have
>been asked by just about
>every guide around my area
>to guide for them. We
>are talking about Guides not
>a sub. The guides make
>lots of money and the
>subs don't make crap. Anyone
>working for 100 dollars a
>day or what ever their
>master guide is paying them
>is crazy. Once again the
>Master guide is making lots.
>
LOL.... That's that's what I thought

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-10 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]I was a guide for Deer and Elk hunts in Montana for about 8 years in the late 90's and early 2000's. I had some the same experiences has KBkiller stated. Some people went big and some didn't. I never ask for anything and didn't expect anything. I had guy's tip me with knive's, optic's even had a guy give me a muzzy that he had built.

My thought is that you should tip on the experience and not the kill. Also, tip what you can afford. I don't believe in the 10% of the hunt rule. Good luck!! HAWK

Last time I looked at the mossback website it said any buck over 200 inches and any bull over 400 and so on a certain percent(can't remember exactly what it was) will be added on to the total cost.

Tip what you feel is necissary and what you can afford. Do the best you can and hope they are ok with it. In the end that's all you can do anyways.

I agree 4k is too much tip!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Make sure you tip your guide and camp help directly. ive seen a 500$ tip left to the outfitter to be given to the guide to find out the guide only got 50$ of that. Take care of your guide they make your hunt but watch out for the outfitters trying to milk you for all they can.

The outfitter in BC that I went with paid his top guides $150 per day and his sub guides $100 per day. Did not matter whether a stone sheep hunt or a mule deer hunt. They got paid all the same. I asked those guys their thoughts on tipping and they flat out said 10%+ and if that meant 4k for a stone sheep so be it. Everyone has a different rule of thumb but I personally think I have made sure I go above and beyone if my guide is good and did his job because I knew he was not making much from the outfitter. I have left money, knives, binocs, spotting scopes, you name it and don't feel bad at all. If your guide is good; take care of him. I have had some bad ones and still paid them more than I thought was right but I did anyway.

Ok who are you then? Yes every master guide does have a regular job. They make damm good money for each hunt!!! And if you know who I am you know that I know what I'm talking about. As for not a fan of the industry you couldn't be more wrong. The only guiding I don't like is the big business guides. They make all sportsmen look bad and I don't feel how they go about it is fair chase. As for most guides they are good guys doing what they love.

The 10% or $100 per day is a good starting point but I wouldn't give 10% on a $40,000 hunt.

$500 for a $5,000 five day elk hunt or $1,000 for a ten day $10,000 Alaska Dall sheep hunt would be normal. But I don't know what the Stone sheep guide thinks he is doing to earn $3,000 more than the Alaska guide did. $4,000 for 10 days work is $12,000 per month and probably tax free since he received cash. If he thinks his services are worth that he need to give up guiding and go to Law or Medical school.

I feel the same way about hunts that include land owner tags. If a hunt is $10,000 and $5,000 of that is for a land owner tag the the tip is $500 not $1,000.

Even on dangerous game hunts in Africa that could go to a 100 grand they don't get 10% of that. That hunt would be a daily rate plus a trophy fee and the guide could expect 10% of the daily rate and nothing on the trophy fee.

Interesting topic i enjoy seeing everybody elses opinions. I will still stick with the 10 % no matter how much the hunt is. ITs their job its how they earn a living. The 40 grand for a hunt yes the 4 thousand dollar tip seems like a ton to me or us who would never spend that kind of cash anyway but like i said before if you got 40k to spend another 4k is pocket change.

Africa is totally different when it comes to tipping. A dollar in Africa is worth significantly more than it is here. A 4k tip is a lot but not when you consider it is a 40k hunt. I am sure if you spent 40k on a hunt and did not get a sheep you would gladly have paid 44k if your guide made it happen and you were successful. We all tip differently. Do what you think and go with it. Personal preference. Myself, it will always be 10% plus in the states and Canada.

>
>" Guides make very good money
>and 10% is a very
>big tip. "
>Now that's funny right there.
>Guides typically don't make shiznut.
> 10% is the standard,
>and should NOT be based
>upon the kill, but rather
>the experience.

Extremely well said and dead nutz on!

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

My experience with guiding (which is very limited), and that of friends that do it full time is that they can make some decent money, but they work their asses off for it, and are away from their families for extended periods of time. At least half of their total income is from tips. I've only paid for one guided hunt, which cost $2500, and I tipped $600 because I felt like I was well taken care of, and being a business owner myself I couldn't see how they were making any real money.

2a0fcsk.gif

I guided for a lodge here in colorado for about 10 years primarily for elk. We hunted out of our lodge which was situated on a 640 acres of private but did most of our hunting on our adjacent National Forest & BLM permits. This was in an OTC unit. I think over the years the price of our 5-day 2-on-1 bull elk hunts went from around $2800 to $3400. I started out at $100/day base pay as a guide and at some point ended up at $120/day. While I am absolutely certain the level of enthusiasm, expertise and commitment varies widely amongst guides, I can tell you that even with tips it was an emotionally and physically challenging way to make the money I did. I did it because I loved it and was addicted to the personal gratification I felt from showing a guy a great hunt.......regardless of whether we punched a tag or not. As head guide I was tasked with going over the lodge "rules"/dow regs the night before each 5-day hunt began. I had no problem telling my hunters(that in my financial world had shelled out a good pile of $$$ to be there), that it was my job was to work as hard as I could to help them get what they paid for.....a great elk hunt. I told them that myself and my guides would work our tails off to make sure they had a successful hunt and hopefully while enjoying that success they would have the opportunity to harvest a bull but that if they didn't harvest a bull and couldn't still say they had a fantastic hunt then either I didn't do my job or they were there for the wrong reasons and basically should look into a "guaranteed" elk "hunt" in the future. I would basically work as hard as the hunter would "let" me during his hunt. I did my best to cater to the limitations(either physically or otherwise) of each hunter and still provide the best experience I could for them. I had clients who flew into the local airport in their personal jet aircraft as well as guys that saves for years to go on ONE guided hunt. Most guys were somewhere between the two. I found NO correlation between wealth and generosity when it came to tipping. I recieved some of my biggest tips from the guys that probably had to save for some time to generate that tip. I don't really know what guides elswhere make for example on elk hunts but it seemed to me that a guide's "base pay" was appropriately low in order to maintain an work atmosphere that "encouraged" a guide to work hard for the client. Very much like the way it is in waitressing. Perhaps it may come down to the individual guide's desire to satisfy the client but I think there is a tremendous amount of internal pressure to produce for the client. If you haven't guided professionally I really don't think you can fully appreciate how that pressure feels. It is HUGE. I hired and ultimately fired(for their own good) several of my really good friends for that reason mainly. They were and are very good elk hunters and we still enjoy hunting together but they just couldn't stand up to the pressure of having to "make things happen". It was eating them up and when it got to the point that they stopped enjoying it....that is something you can't hide from a client & their guiding suffered for it. Regardless of what conditions a guide faces during his hunt it should NEVER feel like an ordeal to him.......perhaps a huge challenge but never an insurmountable one. I expect a hunter to expect ALOT from his guide because I know just how much a guide can give in effort. If I had a hunter that was tired and wanted to take an evening of hunting off or perhaps sleep in for a morning.....if at all possible I would go out anyway just in case I could learn or find something to further help that hunter when he was ready to return to the field. It was his perogative to take the time off but I felt it was a disservice to him if I did as well. There were times during the fall when the elk were bugling that at the end of the day when it was dark and my clients were comfortably back at the lodge eating a great meal, I would grab a "to-go plate" and head back out in the dark for a couple hours to listen and hopefully learn something that might help in the following morning's hunt.....a tactic that paid off many times. If you don't expect alot from your guide you might not recieve alot. Keep a good attitude. Your guide is under alot of pressure and a good attitude will really inspire your guide to do his uttmost for you in most circumstances. Hunt if at all possible despite adverse conditions(unless really unsafe to do so of course)....we made a silk purse out of a proverbial sow's ear on many occasions when presented with crappy inclement weather or unseasonably hot conditions by just being willing to hunt it anyway. I know this thread was presented as a simple guide tip question but there are no simple answers to it. Remember that you paid for a "hunt" not a kill and tip proportionately to the effort your guide puts into assisting in that experience. Don't forget your camp cooking staff either.....great meals can really go a long way under tough hunting conditions. If you are hunting as a group don't pool your tips and give them to any one person to "divide" between guides, etc. That rarely comes out equitably and there are bound to be some grudges(founded or not) left lingering around camp if even at eachother. Tip those that put the personal effort into helping you. Over the years I got tipped from as little as $50(coincidentally by a guy that got his hunt for free after a buddy won a hunt for two after my boss donated it to ducks unlimited and was raffled at a banquet) to as much as $2500. I would say the average tip was in the $400 range but never really kept track. I do remember the tips I recieved other than cash....like binoculars, hunting clothes, boots, knives, etc. I had guys that bought new boots for the hunt and probably wouldn't wear them again for a year or two and simply either looked at the size of my boots after I had taken them off at the end of the day(I saw a guy do that once) or simply just casually asked. A guide can never have too many pairs of good boots(we burn alot of boot leather during and between your hunts) and I appreciated those things as much if not more than cash. One of the best "tips" I ever recieved is a used but great set of gore-tex rain-gear. Hugely appreciated. Give what you feel like giving be it in $$$ or gear....don't let ego pressure you one way or the other. If you have a good guide IT WILL be appreciated no matter the amount and your guide will genuinely look forward to seeing you again. I have made a number of lifelong friends over the course of just a 5-day hunt. If I weighed the amount of money I made over the years(guiding) against the amount of effort and pressure to produce it would not even be worth it. However if I add to that tangible payment the personal gratification I recieved from helping a whole bunch of guys have a great hunting experience they will cherish for years as well as the personal memories of those great times.........it goes from not worth the dollar to richly rewarding. Go out and do what you can to have a great experience and everything else will fall right into place.....including how much/what to tip.

One more thing..........if you act like a pessimistic, frutstrated grouch in camp.......expect your guide to "tip" you back with plenty of extra gained/lost elevation on your feet. ;-)

I am suprised that so many (good) hunters have used guides. I never have,never will. so I dont have a clue.

That is your decision to not use a guide. I went to Canada several times and it was mandatory. I will and have used a guide in the lower 48 and will do it again. When work does not permit and I have limited time and a good tag. I make the call and go. Just because you go with a guide; does not mean you are a bad hunter.

>I am suprised that so many
>(good) hunters have used guides.
>I never have,never will. so
>I dont have a clue.
>

I SECOND THAT!!!

I third that..... Marley you are headed to one of the greatest mule deer mountains in the world. Do it yourself.....The buck you kill will mean that much more to you. Don't be the hired trigger puller. Hunt the way you have hunted your whole life, you have been successful and this hunt will be no different. Trust yourself and just go hunting, no pressure and enjoy the hunt. Everything else will come together....A deer killed with a guide is like an athlete using steroids it taints it just a little bit. Just my opinion. Good luck and smoke a toad!!!

I don't agree with you. And that's fine, to each their own. But last year I went on a dall sheep hunt in Alaska where you are required to have a guide. Just because you are hunting with a guide does not in anyway mean that I am just a "hired trigger puller." I worked harder on that hunt than I have ever worked for one animal and still came home empty handed. My guide said several times on that hunt that he has never in 20 years had any client willing to go where I went. We were able to get to areas that even he had never been because of the limitations of his clients.

Anyone that knows me or has hunted with me would stand in my corner about any hunt. Some athletes train for football, some for basketball, some for a marathon....I spend my year training for hunting and that alone. I spend more time scouting every year than most 10 guys combined. Most my hunts are backpack only hunts miles from any road and mostly around 12,000 feet. My decision to go guided was based on two things......my lack of time to scout somewhere that is a 7 hour drive away and I had 4 other tags with big potential, and the fact that I will NEVER draw this tag again. I am still heading down there 3 days early to scout on my own and I guarantee that my boot leather will be spent on that mountain. I'm not looking for an average Henry mountains buck. I want a TOAD!!

Thanks for all the helpful comments, this has been an interesting topic to read so thanks. On my hunt in alaska my guide was also my outfitter so I didn't feel like I had to tip him as much as he already had $12,000 of mine to start with so thanks for the insight. Good luck to all of you this season!!

One more reason I'll never pay someone to 'guide' me. I value my own experience in the woods too much to pay someone for it. DIY all the way. A 2 point I found myself would mean more than a 180" buck from a guided paid for hunt.

If the guide isn't making enough money and is away from home and misses his family, doesn't like the hunter, maybe he should look into doing something else. Everyone wants a tip, most people work their azz off all year and never get "tipped." If the outfitter isn't taking care of his guides then IMO thats the guides problem ,don't tell me how broke you are.

I paid a guide in BC for his camp, horses, knowledge of the area, etc. The experience was unreal. Could not have gone without him. The country was amazing. Saw areas I would have otherwise never seen. Unbelievable experience. Also, I don't know of any guide that does it to get rich but tips are expected. Same as a waiter at a restaurant. It is part of the game. I do a lot of DIY but I go guided when I can to see different parts of the country; especially Canada and Alaska. We all put a different value on what an experience is and what it means to us. Guided or DYI is a personal choice. I will continue to do both.

>If the guide isn't making enough
>money and is away from
>home and misses his family,
>doesn't like the hunter, maybe
>he should look into doing
>something else. Everyone wants a
>tip, most people work their
>azz off all year and
>never get "tipped." If the
>outfitter isn't taking care of
>his guides then IMO thats
>the guides problem ,don't tell
>me how broke you are.
>

Wow....now that's some intelligent insight there folks!!!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-10 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p] Don't worry about the crap you read here Marley.
You will be by far more of a DIY with your 1 guide than the DIYers and their 15 friends and family in tow. You will see what I mean when you get to the Mountain. Giant camps of 4 or 5 trailers and more guys that you can count tagging 1 DIY hunter!
Just walking out the door for the Mt. see you down there!

P.S. You also look a little smarter than the DIYers on here asking "I drew the (insert hunt unit)once in a life time deer tag! Don't know anything about the unit where should I go?"

Nunya, wow! Heaven forbid someone spend time in the hills with family and friends. Again, I would rather spot, stalk, kill a 2 point buck or a spike bull with my 15 friends on a DIY hunt, than shoot a BC type of animal with the help of a guide. That's just me. I don't care if anyone else wants to. Good for them, more power to 'em. It's just not for me.

"You will be by far more of a DIY with your 1 guide than the DIYers and their 15 friends and family in tow." You really didn't just say that? Yikes! I'm bet there is reason you have to pay people to hunt with you...prolly has something to do with your beaming personality.

BTW, this is a hunting website setup for the very thing you dislike....hunters helping out hunters. I'll let you go call your outfitter. I'm sure your bought and paid for buds are waiting for their tip.

I don't think he is dishing crap on the DIY hunter. I think what he is trying to point out is the definition of DIY. I don't consider hunting with 1 guide DIY but nor do I define hunting with 10 family and friends when none of them have a tag a DIY hunt either. To me DIY means exactly what it says. I love hunting all ways......DIY, with my family, and with a guide. Put a rifle in my hand and a tag in my pocket and I GUARANTEE that fun times are about to happen, animal down or not.

With all the guided hunters on here my question is, what do you pay the outfitter for? You pay him thousands of dollars then you have to pay his help? I thought a guided hunt for thousands would include everything..... DIY all the way, you get more out of it!

>With all the guided hunters on
>here my question is, what
>do you pay the outfitter
>for? You pay him
>thousands of dollars then you
>have to pay his help?
>I thought a guided hunt
>for thousands would include everything.....
>DIY all the way, you
>get more out of it!
>

So the outfitter just pockets all your money and banks it as profit and all the equipment overhead, permit & license overhead, fuel overhead, food overhead, lodging overhead, utilities overhead, insurance on you/vehicles/staff/etc. overhead, property leases overhead, camp staff overhead, etc. just magically pay for themselves???? I can't afford a guided hunt right now myself and love DIY hunts but would add a couple guided hunts a year in a heartbeat if I could. You ever been on a guided hunt jodog? I truly doubt you had that experience prior to forming your opinion. The experience you value might well be different than the type of experience someone else might value just as equally. Trying to downtalk the value of any fair-chase hunt just betrays the small-minded/class envy nature of some of the posers..err, posters here.

You pay restraunts a ton of money for the food you eat right. Where does that money go to the owner of the store who just pockets it. But then you have to pay for the service of the waiter to. WTH :)
The point is if you enjoy and have the money for a guided hunt do it. And make it worth while to the guide who hopefully makes your experience a life long memory.
If you dont agree with the guided hunts then dont do em.

Nobody in their right mind would rather have a truly do it yourself 2 point than a 180 class buck guided or not sorry. That size of buck dont come around to often

Sniper you are 100% right. I continually amazes me that people are so concerned how one wants to enjoy his or her hunt. I don't need to justify any legal method of hunting to anyone; especially on an internet forum.

I would say that the 2 Point vs the 180 buck toppes all of the comments lol.... Maybe he was just joking!

Marley:

Go and enjoy that hunt. I don't blame you one bit for hiring a good Outfitter. I was down there 2 years ago and it is unbelievable! Too bad your original topic got hijacked!

If people stop tipping waitresses and waiters and guides and others in service areas, then the employers will be forced to raise their salaries and you will pay for it in your base pay. If this is the case, then the quality of your service will most likely decrease. I like the 10% rule and wish that was our American constant for all services. go up or down from 10% based on the actual service given. I use 15% as the base for waitresses and then go up or down from there depending on how hard they worked. The can of worms that hasn't really been opened up yet is collecting income taxes from tips, sort of a sticky issue.

I believe in most cases the trophy fee/landowner tag... that was brought up should be subtracted out of the hunt cost prior to calculating your tip.

It was interesting that a lot of the guides on here thought equipment was OK to tip with...I've heard the opposite...cash is much preferred.

Great thread and great insight.

"It was interesting that alot of the guides on here thought equipment was OK to tip with.....I've heard the opposite...cash is much preferred."

LOL....I think I preferred cash tips back before I was married. After learning the intricasies of marital bliss for a couple years I also learned that my wife not once tried to get her hands on the equipment "tips". :D

I'm not joking. I will shoot a small buck everyday that I find on my own (or with my family and friends) long before I would shoot a B&C buck that I paid someone to help me find. I'm not going to pay to do it. I just won't. Never! But if you want to...so be it. I don't care if you want to spend your money on that. I won't, and that shouldn't bother anyone either. Neither should you tell me I'm not in my right mind cause I won't pay for a big buck. The money I spend on my hunts would more than pay for a guided hunt. But the paid guided hunt wouldn't mean anything to me. Now its a totally different story if a friend helped be take an animal. Becuase that person is helping because he wants to.

This is an interesting post to say the least. Lot's of different opinions. For the sake of argument, lets assume you have settled on a 10% tip for the guide, but some outfitted hunts have a wrangler, cook, spotter, etc. Does their tip come from the 10% guide tip, or is their tip seperate. I'm guessing it would be a seperate tip for each individual. If so, what would be an approprite amount or percentage for the support help?

This thread is starting to sounds more like a case of the have's and have nots. Its always been my experience, that a lot of guys who can't afford a guided hunt tend to be a little holier than thou. That's ok, I used to be one of those holier than thou DIYourselfers. Still have a number of friends who fall in that category. I'm still primarily a DIY guy, but the attitude is somewhat changed. If yer gonna do a guided hunt, expect to tip. If yer bitching about it, you couldn't afford it anyway. I'm a max pointer holder for sheep and will likely pull a tag next year. Had a guided sheep hunt lined up this year, but didn't draw. Already making plans for next year. The thought of ponying up that kind of coin makes me cringe. However, I'll be doing it and I'll be handing out some cash to the guides and camp help if they work hard and provide good service...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-10 AT 02:13PM (MST)[p]>I'm not joking. I will shoot
>a small buck everyday that
>I find on my own
>(or with my family and
>friends) long before I would
>shoot a B&C buck that
>I paid someone to help
>me find. I'm not
>going to pay to do
>it. I just won't. Never!
>But if you want to...so
>be it. I don't care
>if you want to spend
>your money on that. I
>won't, and that shouldn't bother
>anyone either. Neither should you
>tell me I'm not in
>my right mind cause I
>won't pay for a big
>buck. The money I spend
>on my hunts would more
>than pay for a guided
>hunt. But the paid guided
>hunt wouldn't mean anything to
>me. Now its a totally
>different story if a friend
>helped be take an animal.
>Becuase that person is helping
>because he wants to.

You are the one who made it an issue. He wanted to know the tip amount recommendation. He didn't want to know your preferred method of hunting. You are the one who seems to be bothered by what people do. If you didn't, you wouldn't have replied. Don't worry about me responding to another one of your ridiculous comments. Start another thread called why I like shooting DIY 2 points better than 180" guided bucks. I will then be happy to argue with you lol....

SneakAttack, never say "never". Famous last words. You act like a guide has the animal tied up and you just go shoot it. Could not be farther from the truth.

Marley anyone EVER tipped you for Doing a great job on their teeth,

No They asked for a good job from the start and they just pay you to do your job and do it right. I bet you don't look for a tip either.
I wish I could get tips for doing my job.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Believe me....I thought about that before. I do trade some work for private property hunting though. So there are some benefits.

I live by a rule that my grandfather lived by and that was if you can't afford to tip then stay at home. He was as tight as they came when spending money but he firmly believed if someone did a great job in providing him service he would always tip and tipped everyone including the doctor. So marley had you been his dentist you would have been tipped.

Get up earlier and maybe I won't be standing over the critter you promised your "client".

How's that?

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

"I'm not joking. I will shoot a small buck everyday that I find on my own (or with my family and friends) long before I would shoot a B&C buck that I paid someone to help me find."

That being the case, then you are as far from "doing it yourself" as could possibly be imagined. Your posse of family and friends is no different than a crew of guides and spotters. Do any of your family and friend carry binos or spotting scopes? Do they follow right behind you or are they sitting in multiple spots trying to locate your "do it yourself" animal for you? Surely you can see the hypocrisy of your statements.
Get real.

T264

I'm just amazed at how people put guiding in with being a waitress. I have nothing against guides or guiding but the client paid lots of cash for the hunt they don't need to pay a tip also. I think the guide should tip the hunter for going on the hunt. Everyone has their hand out for a tip these days just ridiculous.

>I'm just amazed at how people put guiding in with being
>a waitress. I have nothing against guides or guiding but
>the client paid lots of cash for the hunt they
>don't need to pay a tip also. I think the
>guide should tip the hunter for going on the hunt.
>Everyone has their hand out for a tip these days
>just ridiculous.

I think the waiter analogy is perfect.

People eat at a restraunt for 2 main reasons. Because they don't have the time to prepare the meal for themselves, or because they want to eat a nicer meal than they would be able to prepare on their own (at a fancy place).

My basic knowledge of the food service industry is that there is generally a 200% premium on the price of the food. I.E. a steak that costs the restraunt $10 would be sold to the customer for $30. That covers all the overhead, embedded labor, etc. That also includes the profit the restraunt is expecting to make. The waiter/waitress recieves a tip based on the service that they provide.

People generally use a guide for 2 main reasons. Because they don't have the time to scout for and setup a camp for themselves, or because they want to shoot a higher quality animal that they might be able to get on their own (high quailty hunt area on private property or in a far away state).

I would think an outfitter would price his services pretty similar to a restraunt. Probably around a 200% premium over the cost of the camp. That covers the cost of the fuel, wear and tear on equipment, labor, etc. The guide receives a tip based on the service that they provide.

Pretty straight forward analogy to me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom