Grouse ID Help

Daxter

Very Active Member
Help me ID these grouse photos. I have ideas as to what I think they are, but have a couple friends that don't agree. Your opinions are appreciated, especially if you can explain why you come to your conclusions. Thanks.

Dax

P1000388.jpg

BC_ruffed.jpg

The second one is definitely a Ruffie. The first one looks like a blue with some lighter colors.

I always look for the little "Mohawk" on the ruffies. The blues tend to have a bigger beak and smoother head feathers. The blues are also about the size of a chicken.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-10 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]#1 Blue
#2 Ruffed

After you've killed a bunch they are easy to ID..

LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-10 AT 01:13PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-04-10 AT 01:10?PM (MST)

First one is a blue grouse. notice the darker-colored tail with light band on tip.

Second photo I think is a little tough by the one picture it is difficult to tell. It has the markings that help identify a ruffed grouse (erect tail, crest) but it looks too similar to a juvenile blue...like the blue in the first photo.

Although I want to say ruffed on the second photo, I believe they are both blue grouse yearlings. The ruffed is marked just a bit different with different color variations and patterns on the flank, tail, and head. A ruffs tail is lighter and then a darker band on the tip, where a blue is typically darker with a lither tip. Notice how similar both photos are.

Let's see more photos of the second bird.

Just my explanations.

I knew the blue was a blue. But I really thought I had found a Ruffed in an area that doesn't historically have Ruffed Grouse. I was thinking I had made some kind of discovery, but I got shot down and told that my "Ruffed" was just another blue by the experts. Sometimes we see what we want to more than what is actually there. I guess a guy can make a mistake.

Dax

I didnt pay much attention to the tail on the 2nd one...but on 2nd thought i'd have to agree, it looks like a blue thats "ruffed" up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom