Grizzly Delisting by 2014?

Man, if Wyoming gets to hunt Grizzlies EVER, I'll be pleasantly surprised. We've had a tough enough time trying to hunt wolves...let alone the "symbol of the wild." If the hunt does happen, I owe my old man a steak dinner! I would be MORE than happy to shell out for that lost bet.

The Federal recovery/management plan for Greater Yellowstone grizzlies specifically states that hunting of bears is an accepted and expected management strategy when control is returned to the states.

Even though it is written, all agreed to it, and signed by all in charge, expect grizzly delisting to make wolves look like child's play.

I would love for delisting to occur, having spent three years on the Governors' roundtable that worked with the USFWS for integrating the state plans with the Federal plan. I would smile real big, if this could be pulled off.

I expect it to follow in a similar pattern to wolves. The USFWS biologists will determine delisting should occur, followed by delisting status granted by the USFWS.

Then, the money machines of the serial litigators will get fired up and we will be in court again, and again, and again. It will require vigilance and determination to prevail, far more so than with wolves.

I do think it will require Congressional action to intervene, the same way it required Congressional action for wolves. My worry is that even if we have Congressional action, the planets will not be aligned in Congress, the fortunate way they aligned in March, 2011, when the wolf rider made it through Congress.

Gbears are a money machine for the enviro crowd. Always have been, and always will be. Once we get closer to delisting and more of their bullets are spent, expect them to fire up the presses and have money pouring into their coffers to fight delisting.

Good news is that science is on our side. The USFWS, the Director (Salazar), and their biologists, are on our side. Expect the issue to wind up in Federal Courts, and then we will see which side that/those judges are on.

Looking forward to the day, even if it will be a Herculean task to get there.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Hopefully talking about hunting grizzlies will take some of the focus of the anti's off the wolf! Maybe let us take care of some overdue business in Wyoming....

The most recent ruling set the stage for this to occur. Once the court ruled that the regulatory mechanism was sufficient, the debate was decided. Once the science pertaining to reduction of whitebark pine nuts has been collected, analyzed, and released we will see that grizzly bears will do just fine even without whitebark pine nuts.
The stories are already being primed though as we now see an overly high "natural mortality" starting to mount within grizzly bear populations. With the continued drought we are likely to see increased human conflicts as well.
Watch for continued expansion of grizzly bears into currently unoccupied habitat and be extremely cautious when in bear country as those human/grizzly bear conflicts are sure to follow that expansion.

Bob---I thought the exact same thing that you are mentioning when I read the blurb about higher mortality rates this year than normal. There are so many factors that come into play such as increasing age of a good portion of the population, increasing numbers out into areas where there is a greater chance of interaction with humans, drought, etc. My feelings are that there are many more bears than what the biologists will admit to and there has been for some time. When guys go into one drainage and see a dozen different bears in a weeks hunting trip, and I hear that from many and not just in one area of the ecosystem, that should tell everyone that numbers are higher than they will admit to. That's my take on it anyway!

I read an article that talked about how hunting will actually increase the Griz population. The largest threat to Griz cubs are mature boars because they will kill offspring that are not their own. As most guys would go after the largest boars the cub mortality rate would improve. There could quite possibly be the potential for more Tags and hunting opportunity than one would initially think using this theory.

>I read an article that talked
>about how hunting will actually
>increase the Griz population.
>The largest threat to Griz
>cubs are mature boars because
>they will kill offspring that
>are not their own.
>As most guys would go
>after the largest boars the
>cub mortality rate would improve.
> There could quite possibly
>be the potential for more
>Tags and hunting opportunity than
>one would initially think using
>this theory.

Black bear populations increased with hunting back East. As you mention, the larger black bear boars kill a lot of other bears. Once the large boars are thinned, very few bears die other than from hunting. Hunting does seem to reduce attacks on humans and property. Griz may be different than blackies, though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom