grinding burger

deepforks

okay. so ive been cutting up my own critters for awhile now but a rarely ever do burger. my question is what cuts do you guys grind? do you ever grind stuff with the "silver skin" on it? i dont even know if that stuff will go thru a grinder. seems i may be wasting a bit. some cuts just have so many layers of it. i didnt make any burger from my buck, but i just shot my cow on saturday and am drooling for some elk burger.

My Wife and I cut and grind our own. She is really picky about how we cut up our stuff. There will be a minimum of silver skin and no fat at all. We probably end up with less meat but it tastes better.

I'll plug the Cabela's one horse grinder here too. That sucker really grinds anything without missing a beat. It was definately worth the extra brass over a friends 1/2 hp cabela's grinder we used before buying our own.

Bean

+1 beanman, but i'd go with the 1 1/2 hp cabelas grinder. We have it and it's fast and we put our burger through the grinder twice to help break down the silver skin stuff better. I think they are having a sale now on grinders and the 1 1/2 hp is on sale. Great time to buy! Most of our deer goes to burger.

>+1 beanman, but i'd go with
>the 1 1/2 hp cabelas
>grinder. We have it and
>it's fast and we put
>our burger through the grinder
>twice to help break down
>the silver skin stuff better.
>I think they are having
>a sale now on grinders
>and the 1 1/2 hp
>is on sale. Great time
>to buy! Most of our
>deer goes to burger.

Dang most of your deer goes to burger...Thats a shame....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Hey Deepfork-- unless you are much more meticulous than I am at trying to salvage every single little possible piece of stew meat chunks than I am (and I'm pretty meticuous) I'd bet you are wasting plenty of meat by not gringing. When you get in the habit of gringing and making burger, you'll find that your using MUCH of the meat that you'd otherwise waste, the whole neck, the lower legs, all the rib meat.

Plus, like you mentioned- ground game is good stuff, and over the years is well worth the one-time investment of getting a decent grinder.

I don't worry so much about the tendons and connective tissue, and usually the grinder strips the meat off of it, and I pull the tendons out. I try to trim as much fat as I can as it will make it Gamey. Many folks add a little beef fat (my ex-wife used to make me) but I like it lean and natural. I also try to make up a batch of breakfast sausage every year, a little pork fat and some seasoning- (OHH YEA!!! as cherished a package as backstrap).

For me, tending to the meat you bring home is a big part of the hunting experience, expecialy for my kids. Too many American kids, including even some in hunting families, don't really have a firm grasp on where their food comes from.

>Hey Deepfork-- unless you are much
>more meticulous than I am
>at trying to salvage every
>single little possible piece of
>stew meat chunks than I
>am (and I'm pretty meticuous)
>I'd bet you are wasting
>plenty of meat by not
>gringing. When you get in
>the habit of gringing and
>making burger, you'll find that
>your using MUCH of the
>meat that you'd otherwise waste,
>the whole neck, the lower
>legs, all the rib meat.
>
>
>Plus, like you mentioned- ground game
>is good stuff, and over
>the years is well worth
>the one-time investment of getting
>a decent grinder.
>
>I don't worry so much about
>the tendons and connective tissue,
>and usually the grinder strips
>the meat off of it,
>and I pull the tendons
>out. I try to trim
>as much fat as I
>can as it will make
>it Gamey. Many folks add
>a little beef fat (my
>ex-wife used to make me)
>but I like it lean
>and natural. I also try
>to make up a batch
>of breakfast sausage every year,
>a little pork fat and
>some seasoning- (OHH YEA!!! as
>cherished a package as backstrap).
>
>
>For me, tending to the meat
>you bring home is a
>big part of the hunting
>experience, expecialy for my kids.
>Too many American kids, including
>even some in hunting families,
>don't really have a firm
>grasp on where their food
>comes from.

+1... We put a lot of that meat with the silver side through the grinder and it still comes out cleaner than most grind you buy at the supermarket....Get some insta cure, a little liquid smoke and some pepper corns and you got some tasty summer sausage...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I use a friends commercial grinder. It is an old 1 1/2 or 2 horse model, very heavy. We grind all the shoulder meat, neck meat, rib trimmings and trimmings from the hindquarter. We add 10% beef tallow and grind everything twice. First grind is course/chili grind and then change plates and grind with the fine/burger plate. It comes out excellent. Don't have to worry over "siver skin". We remove what is easily removed and grind the rest. The burger is used to make burgers, tacos, stews, sauces, etc. We waste very little from the game we shoot. And since we process our own we know exactly what is in it and where it has been. If my budies grinder ever gives out I'll be buying another. Great investment.

Phantom Hunter

Grind it twice with the fine plate. Also, I like to add ground bacon ends and pieces to my game burger. It really adds a great flavor and the fat makes it cook up perfect. Tastes like a Bacon sirloin burger. MMMMMMMMMMMM, MMM!

To each his own, try it different ways, I have. I've tried pork fat, beef fat, grinding everything including tendons, etc.
What I've found is I like the animals own fat in the meat and keep as much of the tendons and connective tissues out as possible, but will still grind some of it. For burger I use the better, meatier pieces, the other I use for pressed jerky or summer sausage, think I'll go get a piece right now!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom