Green River, WY - Little Help

D

Dodger

I posted this one of the other forums, but that one is a little slow...

I didn't know where else to turn, so I'm asking here...I have an antelope hunt in unit 91 in WY. I'm traveling from AZ, and I'm planning on staying for 5 days. Last year, I was done with my hunt in 2 days, and played golf in Rock Springs. Golf is not my thing...This year, I'll be staying in Rock Springs again, but I'm thinking about taking my fly fishing gear in case I finish early again. Any suggestions about the Green River? Or any other waters that could be fished? I'm only planning on having one day to fish, which I know isn't a lot, but any help, like patterns or access areas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

You have many options. You can fish the Sweetwater or the Big Sandy. Both are part of your hunt area boundry. You could also fish the Green below the Fontenelle Res. or in Utah below the Flaming Gorge Res.
If you want to fish with spinning gear I would suggest Flaming Gorge Res. You can call the G&F in G.R. @ (307)875-3223. They should be able to help you with what is being caught and on what.
Good luck on your hunt!
ONTHEHUNT

I can't offer specifics, but I can offer this: I am in a similar situation for my hunt in October and I am looking into also fishing (hopefully!)...go on line and check out WY's fishing regs if you haven't already. The regs are pretty complicated IMO, or at least they are compared to my home state's fishing regs!

There seems to be a lot of can and cannot do that are specific to each watershed. As far as the license thing... the good news is that you can purchase daily licences that are cheap and seem to be the way to go for up to a few days fishing.

Good luck to you on your hunt.

I sent the G&F in Green River an email and they really didn't give me much to go off of. I know there is A LOT more water up there then there is here in AZ. I'll probably stop by the office there in Green River and talk to them one on one, if I have time.

Thanks for the info.

Dodger;

when you get to Green river, go into a local bait & tackle store and they will give you more detailed infromation about fly fishing in the local area. alot of the local small streams have excellant fishing in them for trout and they will turn you on to ones you can have excess too.

RELH

RELH's recommendation is good as gold. The Green River has some excellant fishing. Consider getting a BLM map and find some off the path areas out in the middle of nowhere.

theres an old-time drug store downtown by the town square in green river that has an extensive hunting and fishing shop downstairs...they have been there since the olden days and should be able to help..good luck on your expedition...

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully I'll have some time to try the fly fishing up there. One more week...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom