'Green acres is the place to be

feddoc

Long Time Member
Farm livin' is the life for me....

I was doing some research on my uncle (K-3-2 in Tarawa, Saipan)

And came across this:

http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/walkercarol.htm

Many of the Marines in Companies A and B were hit by the intense machine gun fire. One of the Marines wounded by the machine gun fire was Sergeant Carroll Walker. Several Higgins boats that were not hung up on the large coral reef immediately began to take aboard wounded Marines and carry them back to the ships. Sergeant Walker and 44 other wounded Marines were rescued and placed aboard a Higgins boat commanded by Lt. Edward Albert Heimberger, a US Navy officer. Lt. Heimberger came under the same heavy intense fire as the Marines he was rescuing.

All of the wounded Marines were brought to the USS Schroeder, a destroyer. Sadly, when the Higgins boat arrived at the USS Schroeder Sergeant Walker was pronounced dead. He was buried at sea from the USS Schroeder in the vicinity of 01-26 N and Long. 172-56E.

For his actions at Tarawa for rescuing wounded Marines under intense heavy enemy machine gun fire Lt. Edward Albert Heimberger was awarded the Bronze Star with Combat "V". During the battle he had made three separate trips rescuing a total of 70 wounded Marines. After the war Lt. Heimberger continued doing what he did prior to his enlistment in the US Navy and that was acting in Broadway stage productions. He also became a prolific character and movie actor, and would later star in the TV series "Green Acres".

Lt. Edward Albert Heimberger's stage name was Eddie Albert.

"...and now you know, the rest of the story"

Good bit there, thanks!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom