Great evening with son!

CAelknuts

Well, you know you're getting a bit older when your kids take you fishing, instead of the other way around. This evening, my 20 year old son took me striper fishing for the first time this summer. He's been wanting to get me out as he's caught and released some real big fish this summer, including one of about 30-35 pounds and one that we estimated at 45+/- pounds.

I hadn't been fishing all year, so I went and bought a license and met him at the river this evening. He already had his drift boat in the water and rowed over to get me upon my arrival. He mentioned that it looked like it was going to be a good evening, as he'd already hooked and lost a couple fish. He rows back to the spot where he was anchored, without me noticing that he was dragging a bait along in the water. As soon as he anchors up, he picks up his rod, holds it less than 1 minute when the line starts peeling off, counts to five and slams the rod back and into a nice deep bend. Being a good kid, he then hands me the rod and says 'have fun.' Well, that ended up being about a 15 pound striper that we released after admiring him for a moment. By the time I left a little over an hour later, he'd caught another striper of around 10-11 pounds that we released and lost two more. I finally left a little before it got dark. Darn kid hasn't come home yet, probably tied up with another cow striper or something like that....

It's really nice when you get to spend some quality time with your kids, even when they're older. Kinda weird, though, having them take you fishing. I guess payback isn't a b*tch in this case, but something I'm looking forward to getting a little more of soon.

sweet trip!
I have a few more years before my son takes me anywhere.....
But it started by me putting him behind the wheel last weekend for his 1st driving lesson while up in the mountains.
He did OK even though he was petrified and road was kinda narrow!
Hes 14 and I thought it was time to start!
rm

HEY JACKMASTER!!!

YOU BEING THE TEACHER WOULD BE A SCARY THING!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Isn't it nice when they grow up and you see you've done some things right. Sounds like a great day. Payback IS awesome in this case.

CAelknuts

Sounded like a real cool evening with your son. Raising them in the outdoors pays real good dividends.
My son and I are headed to Nevada in october for a deer hunt. Hopefully he'll spot a monster for me to take.

Rack

Your teaching your son to drive story reminds me of when I taught my 2 daughters to drive. The oldest one ran down 50 feet of 3 wire fencing and the younger one hit the only tree in the field. LOL they had a crappy teacher.

Ransom

Nuts...congrats, Wow, letting the "old man" land the 1st fish, nothing better than that. Does he get to go on your Monroe elk hunt, you probably need the help....LOL.

from the "Heartland o Wyoming"

No, he doesn't get to go to Monroe, and he's not happy about it, either. He's heading off to San Luis Obispo for college in about 10 days, and he'll be playing baseball down there while I'm chasing elk in Utah.

Actually, we caught those fish in an area you're familiar with, Dan. They were right below the hatchery right there at Nimbus. He catches these big stripers all summer, all up and down the river and most people don't ever realize that river has a summer striper fishery. He seldom sees anyone else fishing, other than a few of his buddies, and they catch some really nice fish on a regular basis. It's amazing how large of a bait those big stripers will eat, we had a few live baits on last night that were 1 to 2+ pounds, and those stripers just crush them.

CAelknuts, that's fantastic! Our only child, a daughter, doesn't hunt or fish, so I'm missing that part, but she did give me three grandsons, so there's still hope!:)

A buddy of mines son graduated from San Luis Obispo in June with an engineering degree and now works in Santa Rosa. Good college.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Aug-06-08 AT 11:29PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/489a87f502f9a029.jpg

Here's one of his stripers, not from last night but a different trip.

489a8bc211f28f85.jpg

He probably fishes from the banks of the river 10 days for every day he fishes from a boat. Here's a striper he caught with a topwater plug.

But then, sometimes he gives up catching stripers to get some really big fish. His dad has never caught a fish even close to this big....

489a8d4c1788345d.jpg

Between fishing, school, and baseball, that's one busy son!

He LOOKS like a baseball player!

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom