Great book

NVBighorn

Long Time Member
If any of you are looking for a great book to read, if you're at all interested in the military, "Lone Survivor" by Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell is a great read. First half seemed a little slow as he tells all about what it takes to become a SEAL but the action part is awesome. All about operation Redwing which was a failed attempt to take out a Taliban big wheel where the auther is indeed the Lone Survivor. Interesting perspective on the war against terror, Afghanistan, the liberal media and of course the SEALs.

I thought it was a very interesting read. I did wonder why they had so poor communications equipment, seems like that could have most of them out. I give it a two thumbs up.

Funny you should say that NV - I am actually reading it right now. The first few chapters read like a propaganda tract for the Bush Administration and Special Forces and it is not particularly well-written. I hope I can get past all that stuff though and enjoy it.

I guess I have been reading too much literature, it has jaded me on non-fiction to a certain extent, I guess.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

You only hear a 1/10 of the BS that actually goes on!

I Heard the US Government & the Military Ain't real Happy with this Seal?

The Dew I had for Breakfast wasn't Bad so I had one more for Dessert!:D

I think thats a different SEAL bess.

Roy, I understand what you're saying. Let me know what you think when youre done. I think I understand why it reads that way. It goes back to that unwavering patriotic thing discussed a couple weeks ago.

Not the same guy Bess - this guy is actually very careful about what he says and how he says it, mentioning several times there are things he can't say. He is just basically giving a first hand account of information that has already either been de-classified or released to the public. He isn't really telling any part of the bones of the story you can't find in the public domain. He is just adding his personal side to it. The one they are upset with is the one who leaked classified info to the OBL raid.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

I will - I think it is part of his storytelling and I am leaving it at that. I can tell the author who is writing the book with him gives him a lot of leeway to tell the story as he feels. I plan on reading this book, his other book, Chris Kyle's book and then Zero Dark Thirty, then watching the film. It is fascinating subject matter for sure.

HOOK 'EM!

>The
>one they are upset with
>is the one who leaked
>classified info to the OBL
>raid.
>

I just downloaded that one.

Agreed. I read "Lone Survivor" about 6 months ago and just finished "No Easy Day" about a month or two ago. Both good reads but I enjoyed "Lone Survivor" more. They are filming the movie just east of Albuquerque in the Manzano and Sandia Mountains and have cast Mark Wahlberg to play Marcus Lutrell.

Sounds like I am the only one, but, I really like the first part of the book. I thought the training was one of the best parts to get an insight of.

Anyways, I agree, really good book.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

I read it a couple years ago and thought it was ok. I enjoyed the training portion of the book far more than the story of the actual operation. I was in awe of the training these guys go through, and don't think I could have made it past "getting wet and sandy".

After the operation was blown and they were in retreat, I swear it seemed like every other page contained a miraculous account of Lutrell tumbling down the mountain and through some miracle, his gun rolled down with him every time. And despite all of that tumbling the gun did, the scope still managed to shoot pretty straight. For some reason those portions seemed hokey to me and took away from the action. I wouldnt hesitate in telling someone it is worth a read though.

I just bought the Autobiography by Chris Kyle and it is a BIG book, lots of pages to read. Going to take awhile to read for sure.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

This is ironic this just got posted. I finished no easy day last night and really enjoyed it. I finished it in two sittings. I was the same way with Chris Kyle's book as well. Chris was a great man and my prayers go out to his young family.

I read it a while back and I really liked it! There were a few spots where some sand or something fell out into my eye's (made um kinda watery). Like when he heard that Ax had continued to fight after Marcus had though him dead!( hope that didn't give anything away for you folks reading it). I have heard rummers of a movie being talked about, Might have been on the Blaze or somewhere. Anyway I agree Great read.

Great book !! Next time you are felling a little "scared" just think of what Marcus went through. I have seen him on alot of hunting shows in the last few years.

So NVB?

Next you'll tell us You've read/and Practice 12 Shades of Gray,Right?

Bess, its 50 shades and of course I've read it. A guys gotta know what they're thinking. I bet your wife has read it and wishes you would too.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-13 AT 10:46AM (MST)[p]I finished Chris Kyles book a couple weeks ago getting ready to start Lone surviver....Sniper was a really good read....Also ordered Dr Ben Carsons book, "what made America great" from Amazon.com...waiting for that to be delivered..

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

50 shades was very educational, thats why I read it .

I start both of the ones mentioned above, for my book club!!!

>I thought it was a very
>interesting read. I did
>wonder why they had so
>poor communications equipment, seems like
>that could have most of
>them out. I give
>it a two thumbs up.
>

Such poor comunication equiptment??? Obviously you have never seen or been in the mountains of the Hindu-Kush? Peak to peak it may only be a half mile, but these mountains are so steep that it is hard to get any communication out of them, even with SAT phones and then you have to be away from a cliff wall and have a line of site to the clouds to get a faint signal. At the peaks of these mountains there is not even enough room for a full touch down when being dropped off from a bird....they are very steep and very, very rugged. Nothing but shale rock and cliffs.

My vote for the goat hearders, dump em and move and split the op. I know that they say hind site is 20/20 but look at how many lifes it cost and what good men we lost to our own political critisizm. All that have spent time there know that the tribes report back to the taliban, even when they mean no harm or say they dont like the taliban they still hate us more, in most instances.

>>I thought it was a very
>>interesting read. I did
>>wonder why they had so
>>poor communications equipment, seems like
>>that could have most of
>>them out. I give
>>it a two thumbs up.
>>
>
>
>Such poor comunication equiptment??? Obviously
>you have never seen or
>been in the mountains of
>the Hindu-Kush? Peak to peak
>it may only be a
>half mile, but these mountains
>are so steep that it
>is hard to get any
>communication out of them, even
>with SAT phones and then
>you have to be away
>from a cliff wall and
>have a line of site
>to the clouds to get
>a faint signal. At
>the peaks of these mountains
>there is not even enough
>room for a full touch
>down when being dropped off
>from a bird....they are very
>steep and very, very rugged.
> Nothing but shale rock
>and cliffs.
>
>My vote for the goat hearders,
>dump em and move and
>split the op. I
>know that they say hind
>site is 20/20 but look
>at how many lifes it
>cost and what good men
>we lost to our own
>political critisizm. All that
>have spent time there know
>that the tribes report back
>to the taliban, even when
>they mean no harm or
>say they dont like the
>taliban they still hate us
>more, in most instances.

Well!

Ya gotta Realize!

We got Ant hills bigger than the Mountains in Fallon!:D

>
>We got Ant hills bigger than
>the Mountains in Fallon!:D

And egos. And A$$holes.

Bess, I believe shootinfool was responding to Beanman not me. Try to keep up will you?

>>
>>We got Ant hills bigger than
>>the Mountains in Fallon!:D
>
>And egos. And A$$holes.
>
>
>Bess, I believe shootinfool was responding
>to Beanman not me. Try
>to keep up will you?
>

COOL IT NVB!

Just seein if You're Payin Attention!:D

Ain't Eggos them things you eat?

The Asssholes around here don't have them $$ in them!

Shootinfool,

You're right, I really don't know anything about Afghanistan. It sounds like you have had some first hand experience. Thank you for your service.

Goatherds: Plunk em. But, I've never been in that position.

Finished the book tonight. It was a great story, just not the greatest storytelling style. I can certainly see why he included the philosophy at the beginning of the book and the chapters on the training. Pretty amazing stuff, and those guys were made of pure steel. My hat is off to them and I am grateful for their service.

The decision about the goat herders? Wow. It is hard to say exactly what would have happened if they had killed them, hindsight is 20/20. They were definitely loyal to the Taliban and their commander, but the Taliban may have found them anyway, eventually. It was a fubar mission from the beginning.

I did a quick search and found that the Taliban commander they were after, Ben Sharmak, was actually named Ahmad Shah and he was killed in Pakistan in 2008. Here are some great articles about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmad_Shah_(Taliban)

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/06/navy_sealbook_070618w

http://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2008/04/_commander_ismail_im.php

HOOK 'EM!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom