(Graphic) Dont let your horse bite you

deadI

Very Active Member
My Dad and I went for a horse ride this morning. We had just walked the horses across a creek (my colt would not cross it while I was riding him) My dads wanted him out of her way so she reached down and tried to take a chunk out of his arm. Luckily he was wearing a couple of jackets he had been just a t shirt she would have had a chunk of arm in her mouth. The jacket didn't tear so she actually did not get any spit or dirt into the wound but as you can see from the pictures his arm is going to be a little sore for a while.

This is what his coat looked like.
472cc28c78a6cca1.jpg

this is before we got it cleaned up
472cc2bc79558ab7.jpg

this is after we got it cleaned up at home.
472cc2cd798f7d61.jpg

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Too many good horses out there to put up with that.......I'd of shot her dead on the spot.

Glad he's OK.

JB

That looks like it hurts. If that horse had done that to me I would have put a bullet in it's brain. Or tied a big knot in the end of the lead rope and beat her till she couldn't stand up anymore. Either way she wouldn't bit anybody anymore.

LOL

Yea it is probably a good thing we didn't have a gun with us. She is a really good horse, this is the first really stupid thing she has ever done. She has never bit before and I dought she does again. She was taught a lesson it you know what I mean.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Damn, I know that hurt. Remedy...... A firm limb across the chopps next time he pulls that.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-03-07 AT 01:19PM (MST)[p]>Too many good horses out there
>to put up with that.......I'd
>of shot her dead on
>the spot.
>
>Glad he's OK.
>
>JB

I agree if it were to do that again I would definately be looking for a new horse..........gelding

horsepoop.gif

Ouch, I've been bit but never like that.

Many times it's brought on by people letting their horse nibble or lip them thinking it's sign of affection. I always whack a horse for putting their mouth anywhere near me unless it's my idea. it's respect and boundry thing with no tolerance, if they see you as another horse they'll treat you like one.

I'm not saying you're a novice but that's just a mistake I see a lot.

If she did it as an act of resistance I'd have myself a dead mare.

I'm afraid that pony would be on it's side on a flat bed trailer and headed for Kuhni's if it were mine.

Skull Krazy
"No Bones About It"

Dog food...........every last one of them. Find a good riding mule and you won't believe you ever even fed a dumb ass horse....

That's why they invented baseball bats. I'd a beat that sumbit@h till it didn't have teeth to bite & then took it on a 10 mile ride at a full trott.

geeze, I'm a tough SOB ain't I. Hope your Pa's OK!

RUS

LOL

Yea he is doing okay, arm obviously hurts a bit. I totaly agree to not let them get there mouths around you, we start to teach them that as soon as they are born. This not the first horse nor the last that we will have and train. Like I said she has never ever tried anything stupid like this. Hopefully this will be the only time.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

oh yah lets beat the horse with a baseball bat. That will teach them some respect.....or it won't be able eat correctly for the rest of its life from its teeth being knocked out.

Obviously the horse was green, or something else happened to make this horse bite like this.

I have and have had many gelding quarter horses. Thers's right ways to deal with this, and there are was as such as beating them with a bat. Comments like that make me sick...

I sure as hell hope that was a sarcastic comment

muleyman

He said it was a mare, not a gelding, I almost won't take a mare anymore they're often too much effort. more crap like this and heat cycles, 100 times more likely to kick, you can have them.

I agree she has to be green or spoiled, you don't beat an animal for what you didn't teach them or they're too young to know.

That said , she better have lots of potential or she'ld be down the road for me.

Yep I agree with you guys, horse needs some serious lessons, and I think a lot of that could be worked out in a round pen... However if she did it to just be an ass, well then you bet she'd get one more chance and after that it's adios!

One thing I notice more with mares than I do geldings is they think things through more often than geldings. When crossing slippery slopes or any dangerous obstacle they'll take their time and pick their way...

Mules are just so damn sure footed and they know it... Smarter than heck to and know how to carry a load! But when they act up watch out! Most stubborn and coolest animals there are.

Geldings are great! Love 'em, but you can't breed 'em which kind of sucks...

Michael
"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

Arab horses are evil too...LOL

I have 4 Quarter Horses...never been bit...Had my clock rung once or twice...my fault each time...but like MJ said, a little round pen works wonders.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-07 AT 03:51PM (MST)[p]The very best mountain horse I ever saw was a gelding - Quarter Horse of course. One of the most intelligent creatures I have ever been around and docile as a lamb. He acted dumb so he wouldn't get all the attention, but he was the most sure footed horse around. Never took a step he didn't think about first and he though quickly too. His half sister though was named Sassy but we started calling her Hell-Beotch. In her prime, there wasn't another horse that could run her around. She never bit, well maliciously anyway but one day after going sideways from Queant Lake all the way back to the West Fork Trailhead I wished I could have killed her! She was a racehorse as a 2 and 3 yr old and around other horses she had to be in the lead. If another group of horses was on the trail ahead of us, forget it - she would be on the dead run if she could to catch up to them and get in front. Found out too late that she should have been a cutting horse. Mom and Dad finally had to put her down a couple of months ago. She wouldn't have made the winter. We always let Triple-K think she was hers, but to tell the truth, Sassy knew we belonged to her.

For the most part she was a great horse - just had a personality. Even if she would have been a biter there is no way we would have ever really put her down. She was a part of the family.

You can train bad behaviors out of horses if you are willing to take the time and patience to do it right. You have to work with them everyday though. If you don't have the time, you just have to come to an understanding.

When I was 15 I started working my first real job on the Trail Crew for the Forest Service. I rode an old gelding that had belonged to the FS for a number of years. Most of the time the FS people who rode him didn't know jack about horses so he had acquired a few bad habits that I didn't necessarily have the time to train out of him. He had mainly been used as a pack horse and once they had rigged the pack wrong and given him a sore spot on his withers that got infected and almost killed him. He would always be bothered by that sore spot and didn't like the cinch tightened. Well the first few days I rode him he really tested me. I would make sure the saddle pad and blanket were on just right, protecting his sore spot and that the saddle didn't ride too far back and then I would go to tighten the cinch and that old bugger would step right on my toe. The first day I forgave him and blamed myself, the second day, he just caught the edge of my boot but the third day, which was already shaping up to be a bad day anyway, he leaned on me until I had to step to keep from getting knocked down and then he stood right on my toe and just ground it down. It was all I could do to lean back on him and move him off my toe and hold back the tears. I wanted to punch him and knock him out, but I knew that hitting him in the head would only give me more problems in the future so I didn't. Besides I had to pull my boot off now and see if my toe was still attached to my foot. It was, but man it sure felt like it wasn't! Well my savvy old boss helped me out a little and we took a length of rope with a dog chain on the end and chained it around his hoof, lifted it up and dallied it around the saddle horn while I cinched him for the next few days. Afterwards I would give him an apple slice and scratch his ears. That seemed to work and after two or three days of that he seemed to be cured. He only tried it one more time, when we were out on the trail and I hit him on the hocks with my knotted lead rope just as he was going to do it and he didn't do it again until the next year. So I would repeat the process again for the first few days. Since I only rode him for a couple of months out of the year, I could never totally break him of it. Finally, after 3 years of riding him he stopped trying to do it to me, but to others, he would still do it everytime.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

"I sure as hell hope that was a sarcastic comment"

muleyman

I sure as hell wish everyone wouldn't take stuff so seriously on this web site. I actually have a reputation for being overly generous with my critters. I fed some replacement hefiers last year and when I went to sell them the 1st guy to look at them said "they're too fat" & I said "I like my critters fat, look at my dog"

The only time I seriously considered the baseball bat technique was when a 400lb steer kicked me in the nuts. I probably would have beat that steer but I was rolling around in cow sh!t gasping for air.

RUS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom