Grand Slam/Ovis magazine

P

PopeShawnPaul

I finally wanted to see what the hubbub was all about with concern to this club and magazine. I recently became a member and looked forward to receiving my first magazine. I must say I'm going to be a bit critical but I think I keep it directed in a positive way...

I was mostly excited and a bit disappointed with the magazine. There was tons of information in the magazine and it brought recognition to a lot of good people about their hunts. It was printed well and the pictures were great.

However, here is my constructive criticism. Maybe I'm missing something that others may be able to point out to me. I thought the stories about the hunts were very brief and a lot of focus was on the outfitter, the hunt result, and how it helped that individual meet that specific slam. So much emphasis was put on the fact that an individual was this much closer to reaching one of the specific slams. So little emphasis was put in the story of the hunt. For me personally, I don't necessarily need to know that John Doe has 7/8ths of his slam but would rather have a nice story on one of the individual hunts.

I found that it was difficult to read the main body of text as each page had a different skyline or highlight section on an individual. I found that I had to go through and read the main body of text, and then go back to the beginning and read each individual highline or skyline section. However, when I was reading the main body of text I would find that I would notice a picture of a great ram in a highlight section and go to reading that story. I would then need to go back to the main body of text and try and get back to what I was reading about before I got sidetracked from the main body of text.

Maybe the magazine was layed out in a way that was so different than what I was use to that it will take a bit of getting use to. The information in the magazine was very informative and I think I will keep my subscription for the future as I just love to see pictures of sheep from around the world. Am I just missing something here though? Is this the proper forum to discuss this in?

Shawn

Shawn,

It has to do with tradition. Bob Householder kept the members informed with a newsletter. When Dennis Campbell took over, he kept the format the same. As for me I like the way it is put together. I read the Skylines and Milestones first, and then go back and read the text. The "story of my hunt" magazines are the ones that bore me. To each his own...I am glad you joined as a member!

Shawn,
For what it is worth, I used to be a member, but I discontinued after GS/Ovis sued FNAWS. I agree with your complaint about the lay out of the magazine. My opinion is, the lay out problem has to do with the whole concept of honoring those who achieve a Grand Salami.(I can't say Slam in fear that they might sue me!) I think they originally intended to honor those who completed their 4 sheep, but it seems now days to be more about messaging egos than honoring a great experience in the wilds. I too love sheep hunting and I love to see the wonderful animals that are taken on fair chase hunts. But this magazine seems to be increasingly more about people with large wallets and even larger egos than sheep. (keep in mind that many issues back my picture and the story of my hunt were included in it)
I once read that Jack O'Connor once said that had he known what the "grand slam" would do to sheep and sheep hunting, he would have never mentioned it in any of his articles. In my opinion, he was right! For what it is worth.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom