GPS units

theox

Very Active Member
So I am looking for some input on gps units. I have a friend that is not very technologically advanced and needs an easy to use gps.
2 requirements
. 1 he has a parachute plane and hunts coyotes he would like a gps that a waypoint/spot can be marked easily so he can retrieve the coyotes. preferebly with just a one button instant mark type thing. for ease while flying.

2. it has to be affordable. the cheaper the better. (work is slow)

the bushnell backtrack is something he was looking at but it only holds three marks. which most cases that may be enough but sometimes it may not.

thanks for any ideas.

I just bought the Etrex Legend HCx recently to upgrade from the old one. I got it on Amazon.com for $153 to my door and just bought the Wyoming chip with the landownership features for it last week from GPSMAPS. Satellite acquistion is great and one push of the front toggle will mark a waypoint. It sounds like just what he would need for an economical GPS. I have heard bad things about the Bushnell backtrack and would saty away from it.

I've got the Garmin 550T and I don't leave home w/o it !!!! The Newer model 650 is just too bulky . But the Garmin 550T is very user friendly and it has a 5MGP camera . W/ one push of the button, it will take a picture and simultaneously mark it as a waypoint. So after done flying, view your map, touch the marked picture waypoint and view the picture or just go to the waypoint ... very simple. Buy one through Ebay if you can and if you happen to go that route.

+1 on any Garmin GPS. We use the e-trex but you can get one for less than the e-trex as stated. Garmin is a quality company and they stand behind their products

))))------>

Whatever you get, make it a Garmin. The most user friendly GPS out there.

I have wanted to comment on Garmin since I got back from my Coues hunt the first of the year.
I have had the GARMIN 60CX for three years now. Works great
And I can use most of the features; I would hate to have to learn to use another one. Any way when I
Got back from AZ my lovely wife was helping out! I carry it in an old sock to protect the screen.
Any way as you can guess she ?washed? and "dried" it ?sanitary? cycle of her new star trek High Efficiency
Washer and dryer?.. I didn't say a word?that spooked her. I just put it in a sack of rice and put it in the safe for a month?.Got it out expecting the worst?.it still works perfectly? it's clean too!
Buy a Garmin.

>I have wanted to comment on
>Garmin since I got back
>from my Coues hunt the
>first of the year.
> I have had the GARMIN
>60CX for three years
>now. Works great
>
>And I can use most of
>the features; I would hate
>to have to learn to
>use another one.
>Any way when I
>Got back from AZ my lovely
>wife was helping out!
> I carry it in
>an old sock to protect
>the screen.
>Any way as you can guess
>she ?washed? and "dried" it
>?sanitary? cycle of her new
>star trek High Efficiency
>Washer and dryer?.. I didn't
>say a word?that spooked her.
> I just put it
>in a sack of rice
>and put it in the
>safe for a month?.Got it
>out expecting the worst?.it still
>works perfectly? it's clean too!
>
>Buy a Garmin.

That is just plain funny!

It really wasn?t that funny when I came in from hanging the deer, to Hear my GPS going thump thump thump in her new dryer!

I got my friends kids to down load his map program into mine. The topos of CO, AZ, NM and UT. Have used the topos on hunts in AZ and NM. It works well on Lake Powell the most relaxing place in the world. The basic maps it comes with have worked for me Showing high ways In Glacier Mt and a 10 day rented camper trip in Alaska. I NEEDED it to find ?Old Seward Highway? to get out of Anchorage in the dark.
I would highly recommend GARMIN GPS.
Their sales pitch should be. Even dumb old guys can use them. And Water and ?WIFE? proof.

Theox,
I also like the Garmin and have owned two different models. I don't recall the first one I had (Etrex??) but the one I've had for the last 4-5 years is the GPSMAP60 CSX.

Its served my purposes very well. Its durable, dependable, waterproof, long battery life and what I need most, it's very user friendly.

I've only been in a few spots (slot canyons) where its lost satellite contact, but this silly thing will even track inside our home, I guess since its hits a number of satellite at the same time it's getting signals through the windows.

It's also very very accurate, even in the trees. I used it a few years ago on the Manti to backtrack through 3/4 of a mile of thick spruce dead fall jungle and found a new arrow I lost out of my quiver a couple of days before.

I'd like to see some of their new models they've come out with lately but afraid I go buy one.

They're a great toy/tool.

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom