GPS Recomendations

bragabit

I plan on hunting deer this fall in Colorado on a unit with quit a bit of private property. So I am looking for a GPS that will allow you to download maps, and show property and state lines. Please let me know what to look for in a good GPS, and what to stay away from. Firsthand experience good or bad would be great.
Thank You

LAST EDITED ON May-10-11 AT 08:53AM (MST)[p]Hands down you would be most happy with the Garmin Oregon 450t. Purchase that along with a 24k topo map (Garmin) with land status (HuntingGPSMaps.com). I've had all sorts of GPS units from all makers, and nothing compares to the size, functionability, and features.

Austin A Atkinson
www.AAAOutdoors.com

I have tried multiple GPS units and love the Garmin 60csx (Cabelas often has it for $199). I also have maps from huntinggpsmaps.com and they work great.

Grizzly

How much more is it to buy the mapping software? I see where some of the delorme gps's include the mapping software installed. Anyone use them. I will look into the Garmins.

Looking at huntingnmaps.com I see where you can get sd card loaded with maps for $99. Are these for the entire state? Units? or what?

If you get the 100k than it is for the entire US. If you get the 24k it is only one state. I also use the Garmin 60csx and love it. When looking for the SD cards, get on ebay.com. There is a guy that sells them for $59. That is where I purchased mine. I will admit, I am not that happy with the 24k.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

Should be state specific. There are two options (for Utah anyways). You can do a preloaded SD card for $99 or a download onto your computer that allows you to program up to two GPS devises for $129 (if you have two units or buy an upgraded GPS down the road). You can update your maps yearly and here is the delema, if you get the preloaded SD card option at the $99, they send you a new one for $30 for your update every year you want to update. If you do the downloadable option for the $129, you can upgrade yearly at no additional cost.

I got a Delorme PN-60 & love it! Delorme began as a mapping software company, so I dont believe u can beat the mapping for it!.... You can add topos, as well as 3D images & lots of other stuff that is way above my head! I do like the screen size of the new Garmins though!

I dont believe you can go wrong with either....

Bamacpl,
From what I can tell by reviews Delorme does have better mapping software, but Garmin has better GPS software. Delorme is alot cheaper for their maps. You can download all you want for $30 a year. But do any of the maps you use show land ownership? That is the biggest need for me right now. Everyone that produces a overlay program that shows land ownership only produces it for Garmin.

I have used my 60csx with huntinggpsmaps countless times, once in Idaho in a heated exchange with a farmer that was trying to keep us off BLM land. He threatened to call the sheriff, I got out my cell phone and asked for the number. When I told him I was pressing charges against him for unlawfully posting public property and hunter harassement he threatened to "kick my @ss", I then told him I was also charging him with assault for threatening bodily injury. He sped away in his truck so fast he tore up his own hay field.

I had my hand on my sidearm the whole time... it was pretty heated, but I would've been screwed without the land ownership portion of the topo to defend myself. I have used that info in four states to access public ground that most people couldn't get to. I can't recommend it enough.

Grizzly

I think a Garmin Rino is the best GPS for hunting. There are several different models to choose from depending on budget. The 530 HCx is the best and can hold the most data. Rinos have a 2-way radio that you can talk to most compact radios, and Rinos can communicate with each other and show you the exact location of others in you party. I have had a Garmin Rino 120 for almost ten years now and it still works great. As far as downloading landowner maps on it, I do not know. The maps I put on mine show national forest lines and some other stuff like that but does not show the landowner. You can read more about the Garmin Rino here: http://www.bestforhunting.com/?page_id=180

Yes, it does show land ownership...You can set several options with this. You can have them in different "shades" or different color borders etc....There are several different settings for this. There are also all kinds of vector overlays that u can set in there as well!

Like I said, some of it is VERY complicated!! It copes with TOPO North America 10 as well as $40 worth of free downloads. $40 goes a long way too!

When u install the dicsc it comes with you can choose how to show the difference between private, BLM, State land etc.....

Go here & look around

http://forum.delorme.com/

These dudes in there will answer any question you might have! Last time I asked a question I had to get a dictionary to try and figure out what the guy said back to me!!! hahahahah!

I have a Garmin Rino 530 HCX for sale, Barely used lost a hunting member so we have a extra one. $300.00 shipped.
They are great for 2 or more hunters the downloads are great and the radio and screen location of your party locations are top-notch.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON May-12-11 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]Is the GPS part of the Rino's as good as say the CSX? I have good radios. It would be nice to combine the gps and radio, but I don't want to sacrifice quality of the gps to do it. Does the model of the rino GPS have to be the same connect to another? How many units can you connect together?

The 530 HCX can handle up to 50 contacts at a time.I believe they do have to be the model 530 HCX to be used together.
We have been 15 miles away on a flat desert floor and didn't have any problems talking to each other (they claim 14 miles).
go on line and check them out, they have a ton of features that are useful to hunters.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I had an early model Garmin etrex Vista (B&W, no memory card, etc) that worked great for many years until I found out I need more capability. I started hunting with a computer wisard from work that had the Legend and had all kinds of cool stuff programmed in. He never buys any of the commercial maps (like huntinggpsmaps.com), but makes his own from public sources that are the same sources that the commercial guys use. (After using the good maps, I would pay for the commercial stuff if I didn't have access to the same quality maps free - it's worth paying for to get land ownership, water sources, etc.) So I had to upgrade to get the good maps (needed expandable memory and color display). I looked at the Rino, but no one else I know wanted to pay for one, so that was out (but the weather radio function would be a good idea). I bought the Oregon from REI, but after a couple days I took it back because the screen was too dim to view without having the light on and that ran the batteries down right away. (The guy at REI said thats the big complaint with the Oregon on their REI website reviews.) So, I ended up with the etrex Vista HCx, which has the high speed, high sensitivity satellite acquire, color screen and expandable memory. I could have went with the Legend, but I am used to having the electronic compass and couldn't live without it so that meant I had to go up to the next level (Vista). Here is some advice no matter which unit you buy: also carry a real compass (just in case). I would like to have satellite imagery, but my hunting buddy downloads Google Earth and we have it offline at camp in the Command Center Computer System (his wife's laptop).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom