Got a generator???

eelgrass

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-12 AT 10:43AM (MST)[p]We lost our power last week for a couple days. Yawn.

I strung my extension cords and fired up my generator. I kept three 100 watt lamps burning, TV on, refer and freezer plugged in. The wood stove was going for heat. It cost less than 3 gallon of gas.

I was a little bummed when they got the power back on.:)

I don't understand why more people don't get, and use a generator?

Eel

Edit: At one point we even plugged in our outside Christmas lights. I think it pissed the neighbors off.:)

i suggest you dont run a tv or a househould computer on the genrator. unless you got a generator that can keep a constant voltage. the sine waves really fluctuate on a generator {spikes in voltages} and you could burn your tv up or lessen the life of it..

I have a 15,000 watt propane generator as a backup for my solar electric system at my hunting camp.

2311idiot.jpg

Maybe if I would have asked for a generator for Christmas I wouldn't have gotten divorce papers...

"Our house is protected by the good lord and a gun, You'll meet both of them if you show up uninvited."

70 guy, if true, sorry to hear that!

Steve, it's my own fault. i have a cheaper 3500 unit, a Champion, that is pretty nice really but i've not ever ran it during a outage. I keep saying that i'm going to...but i don't.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Joey, I have a 7000 watt generator. Had a electrician friend wire it up to the house so that I can switch over from power company to generator by switching over the breaker switches.
Got lazy in my old age, it has a battery start engine. I also have power surge control on the computers and T.V.

When I first moved to the hills in 1980, we could have power failures that would last up to 3 days. Now it is rare to go beyound 3-5 hours without power.

RELH

RELH, Those are sweet systems. Quite a few guys around the lake have set-ups like that. A bit costly initially but when the power is down, it's living right!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>i suggest you dont run a
>tv or a househould computer
>on the genrator. unless you
>got a generator that can
>keep a constant voltage.
>the sine waves really fluctuate
>on a generator {spikes in
>voltages} and you could burn
>your tv up or lessen
>the life of it..

Should be fine if you run it thru a decent surge protector, No?

Thats all i've done anyway.

Picked up an old army generator about 3 years ago. as its an army generator you can adjust the voltage from 70 to 256 also adjust the cycles from about 42 to 81,If memory serves me. Old Chrysler engine with airplane plugs, you have to wrap the rope by hand each time you pull it. I'll bet a shiny nickel its starts on pull #3. Loaned my Honda to my son a year ago, I haven't ask for it back yet. runs everything at our camp just fine. Don't know how we could stay on the mountain as long as we do without it

>
>Should be fine if you run
>it thru a decent surge
>protector, No?
>
>Thats all i've done anyway.

that you will be just fine, lot of new generators come with surge protectors on them anymore..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom