GOOSENECK PREP PACKAGES ON GM,FORD & DODGE???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
I Rarely Use a Gooseneck/Ball Hitch in the Bed!

I Did See a New GM the Other Day that came right from the Factory with the Hitch Prep Package!

The Ball had alot of Slop in it when Installed!

I'd Imagine Ford & Dodge are Perty Much the Same?

Just wondering how Many of You have Experience with them?

And Your Thoughts?

My last three have had the prep package. I wasn't too impressed with the way they attached the gooseneck ball....until I put the ball stub in place. Very solid and super simple.
kr1m5Lq.png

The fit is a lot tighter than it looks.

Last edited:
We have one on the Dully Bess! It is a very nice set up from the factory ! We pull the backhoe with it. You can also add a real fifth wheel hitch to the ball set up .

Nothing compares to a B & W. They are the best. I have 2 trucks now with the Ford factory goosenecks in them. I have had a total of 7 of them since they starting putting them in at the factory. My take is if you use them a lot like we do is A the balls can and will wear out unlike a B & W and B the replacement package cost $200.00 bucks. You could probably order a truck without the gooseneck package but I believe they are a standard package now.

You know what grinds my gears is when they put the ball 2-4 inches in front of the axle.

anyone know why they do that????????

when pulling a gooseneck be very careful on tight turns or backing up really tight or else the trailer can dent your cab. or hitting a bad dip the trailer can smash down on your tailgate.

that's why I installed my own centered over the axle.

I just picked up one of the drop in balls for my f 350 a couple days ago. The ball cost me $170, and it seems to have a little more play in it than a normal gooseneck ball. I just need it to put an Andersen hitch on to tow a fairly light fifth wheel so I’m sure it will be fine, but I definitely don’t think it’s the best system out there.

How do they compere with a B&W turn-over set up?
I've had both; the B&W on my flatbed. B&W was a bit harder to change between platforms. The B&W I had was attached via a pull handle and involved inserting a shaft (maybe 2.5x2.5 tube) into the frame, then re-inserting the pull handle. I like the factory better because it felt more secure and spread the hitch bearing surface?? over a larger area.

“There are many opinions on this topic, however typically the gooseneck ball will be mounted directly over the center line of the axle or slightly forward. The exception to this is when a hitch manufacture has to work around the structure of the truck. This could cause the ball location to be even further forward on some truck models, in some instances up to 4-inches.”

that's out of the B&W website. I've always seen and mounted them 2-3 inches forward from the rear axle. too far back picks up the front end leading to very unsafe steering problems.

“There are many opinions on this topic, however typically the gooseneck ball will be mounted directly over the center line of the axle or slightly forward. The exception to this is when a hitch manufacture has to work around the structure of the truck. This could cause the ball location to be even further forward on some truck models, in some instances up to 4-inches.”

that's out of the B&W website. I've always seen and mounted them 2-3 inches forward from the rear axle. too far back picks up the front end leading to very unsafe steering problems.

Thanks for that. Makes sense but still drives me nuts that they have to do it that way

You know what grinds my gears is when they put the ball 2-4 inches in front of the axle.

anyone know why they do that????????

when pulling a gooseneck be very careful on tight turns or backing up really tight or else the trailer can dent your cab. or hitting a bad dip the trailer can smash down on your tailgate.

that's why I installed my own centered over the axle.

They are in front of the rear axle for proper weight distribution.....

I Was Taught they Should Be Slightly Forward of the Rear Axle!

The New Prep Package I Seen on the GM Truck sure Had alot of Slop in it!

Here is how i did mine. Built my own frame attachments. Then a steel plate that attaches to the hitch and my custom frame mounts. Peas and carrots.

Tows great. My horse trailer is 8900 pounds empty. Add 5 horses and tack its a heavy load.

20200716_161010.jpg

20200716_161016.jpg

20200716_170231.jpg

I’ve had a B&W for years. Pulling a 24 stock trailer loaded with cows or horses. I have never had a problem. Just curious how the new ones compared. Thanks

Hey Homer!

At about 3:55 (So I Don't Waste Your Watching Time!:D)

Looks Loser than it needs to be to Me?

What You Say?

Hey elkassassin when we were in highschool my buddy had a b&w on his dirtymax. We took the ball out and we made a stripper pole that attached. It was a hit at the parties. But was also a fail. Only the drunk dudes got on it and only a couple girls.

Hahahaha. The crap we think of

That's Funny!

But Ain't there Any Cute Pole Girls in Wyoming?

Hey elkassassin when we were in highschool my buddy had a b&w on his dirtymax. We took the ball out and we made a stripper pole that attached. It was a hit at the parties. But was also a fail. Only the drunk dudes got on it and only a couple girls.

Hahahaha. The crap we think of

A few cuties exist. The college brings in a lot. The mormon girls were shy about the pole but if they were they only one it was a all out show.

All GN parts for new trucks are hard to get right now so if they have a factory one in it best keep it.

I like the factory better than B W turn over. I have used for goose neck horse trailer and I put an Anderson hitch for 5th wheel. Factory has been easier, secure and less of a hassle

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom