Gooner and Mugsy

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It's funny how a memory will pop up in your head from your childhood on occasion.

I must have been about 10-11 at the time.

Gooner Carlson (I don't know if that was his real name or not) ran some cows on the property he owned down below our house. We lived up on the ridge. One morning I heard our neighbor yelling. I looked out the window and some of Carlson's cows were in the neighbor Hap Pavlich's yard.

Hap wasn't much for herding cows because they just kept circling around on his lawn....Lol. Hap had a bull dog named Mugsy. Mugsy wasn't much of a cattle dog either as he looked more lost than Hap. A man, a dog, and about 10 cows all running around in circles.

I watched for about a half hour not really knowing what to do. About then Gooner Carlson showed up. He got out of his truck and was trying to help, since they were his cows.

They were kind of headed in the right direction and Hap looked relieved. He said "Sic'em Mugsy!" thinking the dog would get after the cows.

Mugsy ran over and grabbed Gooner by the pant leg and started shaking him. It took a couple minutes to convince Mugsy to let go. LOL.

For some reason I thought that was pretty funny, and I guess I'll always remember it.

97172deliverancebanjo.jpg

It was starting to sound like a Pat McManus story, some great character names. But too short even for a short story.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom