Good sleeping pad?

sniper14

I'm going on a back country hunt this year and would like some help in choosing a good sleeping pad. I will pack a heavier pad just to be comfortable but within reason. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Thermarest Neoair, or the regular thermarest if you want heavier but cheaper.

DTfaM.gif

+1 on the Neoair, i just bought one this year and im way impressed by how small they can roll/fold up to. great pad!

"Shoot Straight"

Neoair. Take repair kit though since if loses air then you are sleeping on what is basically a thick garbage sack.

Dont overlook the big agnes pads. I have the insulated aircore. The new q core might work at a little higher weight.

Big Agnes. I'm 6'4", 250 and am pleased with mine. Thought I'd crush it, but it's actually very comfortable. Right around a pound, durable, not too pricey.

>1 lb 8 ounces... I take
>it you don't go into
>the backcountry very much...
>
>
>Neo Air! 12 ounces!

NeoAir also is compact when stored. Maybe is the size of a nice thick t-bone steak.

Everyone is recommending the ultralight pads by Thermarest and Big Agnes. I have the Big Agnes and while I find it compact and comfortable, it is not my first choice when it comes to fall temps in the high country. Rather than recommend a specific brand and style, I'll just throw this out there--don't forget to look at the R-value on a sleeping pad. The higher the number the warmer it will be. I personally like a full length pad with an R-value of 5.

I have and use 3 different pads.

Big Agnes Insulated Air Core
-very comfortable
-small pack size
-pretty warm down to 40F

Thermarest Xtherm
-quite comfy
-Small pack size
-warm down to 20 degrees.
-noise at night

Nemo Astro
-very comfy
-small pack size
-warm down to 40 degrees

HMM...hard choice. All are very good, but man I need that warmth. I usually pick up the xtherm.

Good luck

NickM....I have spent a fair amount of time in the backcountry. There is aot more to it than just wieght....When in the backcountry I think the number one attribute is durability. If the pad doesnt stay pumped up all night what good is it? R value and durability are more important to me. The neo air ultra lite pads "krinkle" alot when you roll over which I find annoying. They can get cold as hell in the later fall months. They are lite...so if thats all you want in a pad then have at 'er

I have to laugh when guys start talking about shaving ounces, when they are back packing.

My thought is, if you aren't strong enough to pack in an extra 12 oz of whatever, you are a puss. Guys go so far as to trim map edges, cause the weight of the paper will add up. Add up to what? Good hell.

Sorry, carry on.

It can get ridiculous, I agree but the ounces add up to pounds pretty quickly. Is an extra 10-15 pounds that big of a deal? Probably not but hiking in 8 miles and then possibly with 75 lbs of mean on your back, its worth it to some.

DTfaM.gif

I plan on at lease 8 mi in and 75 lbs pack...is that enough to be considered the back country?
(Am not worried about weight or time being off the whole month of October and been training for months) because I will pack in stuff be before hunting starts in NV and Utah..I just need to be comfy...So I bought the best there is!

Mystery Ranch
Big Agnes
Mountain Hardware
Weatherby
Swarovski

Keep in mind what bag you are using with the pads too. My last trip out I used the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core with a 0 degree rated down filled bag and stayed quite warm down into the 20's at night. It was not a Big Agnes bag, though so I had the pad and the bag insulation under me.

Another vote for the thermarest neoair - the largest one. I had a Bag Agnes Insulated Air Core mumy pad and it was fine except I needed a wider pad since I toss around alot at night and tended to roll of the pad.

Only because no one has mentioned it, Check out the Symat7 from Exped.
Its highly insulated, and 3" thick. They are pricey, and can be heavier than other pads, but so far I have to say its a great pad. The 7s come with an integrated pump, so you don't have to blow up your pad with your mouth, which introduces moisture into your pad, that can break down the insulating properties.
It has proven to be very durable, and for sleeping on the ground in the mountains, its comfortable.

I have both the Thermarest Neoair Trekker, and a Big Agnes Insulated air core pad. They both work great, I would say it's a toss up. I use a Big Agnes Lost Ranger bag, which has the sleeve in the back for the pad, making it almost impossible to roll off the pad.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

In the Sportman news from sportsman warehouse they have a write up on all of the sleeping pads. Pick up a copy, it also goes over other gear.

Note: I only hunt during the summer archery seasons so this is geared toward warmer climates. all pads are paired with a 0 degree bag which may change how we were affected by the R value and cold night time temps

Nemo Astro - great pad, light and small and warm.

NeoAir Trekker - light, small, warm noisy.

Thermarest Prolite - heavier than the other 2 at almost 2lbs, works well to avoid the uneven ground but is definitely a "firm" nights sleep.

Of the 3 i would choose the Nemo Astro, its the lightest, most compact, and it comes with a little raise at the head for an extra pillowy feature.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom