Good SFW Stuff.........

Founder

Founder Since 1999
OK, don't turn this thread into a belly-ache session about SFW. I just thought I'd share this email they sent out. They're looking for volunteers on some stuff. Here you go:

-----------------------------------------------

Join us May 8th, 2012 for the Kids with Disabilities Fishing Day

Bring your family and friends to Kids with Disabilities Fishing Day, on Tuesday May 8th, 2012, at 8am. Last year we had over 1,200 kids. SFW needs your help to make this year?s fishing day a success. This is a great opportunity to serve children from across Utah with a great day of fishing. Our goal is simple, help each and everyone of these children to catch a fish. A special thank you to Kevin and Mike Pritchet, the Utah County SFW chapter and many others who have made this annual event possible for many years. Lunch will be served and fishing tackle provided. We need more volunteers. Contact Mike Pritchet at (801) 404-0571 if you are available to help. If you need dedicated hunter hours be sure to preregister to get your hours.

Salem Pond Wheelchair Access Project Completed

In preparation for this year?s Kids with Disabilities Fishing day, major improvements have been made at Salem Pond. Over 280 feet of wheel chair fishing platforms and railing have been installed to improve access for children. Click here to see this great improvement project made at the pond. Better yet join us next Tuesday at Salem Pond to see your SFW money at work for a great cause. This was a big project. A thank you to all the contributors on this amazing project including Salem City, Walmart Foundation, DonahueWelding, Dave Woodhouse of WW Construction, The Home Depot, Cory & Noel Hyatt, Rick Houghton & Lloyd Jacobson Nationwide Trailer, Geneva Rock, Danny Higgison, Cornaby Powder Coating, PDM Steel, A Core and the many volunteers who made the project possible. Click Here for photos of this great project

A Special Thanks to these Sponsors for their support in the Salem Fishing Pond Project:
Cory & Noel Hyatt ? Rick Houghton & Loyd Jacobson Nationwide Trailer ? Geneva Rock ? Donahue Welding ? W W Construction ? Salem City ? Danny Higgins ? Home Depot ? Cornall Powder Coating ? PDM Steel ? A Core

SFW Deer Transplant Research Project

SFW has committed over $100,000 in 2012 to a research project with Utah DWR to improve survival of transplanted mule deer. This project is part of a multi-year venture that will help determine the best time to capture and release mule deer to allow for optimum survivability of mule deer in connection with mule deer transplants. There are some who feel that transplanting mule deer does not work. This effort creates the groundwork to provide successful alternatives to simply killing mule deer in areas where removals are recommended. By funding this important project, SFW continues to show its commitment not only to increasing mule deer populations in low-density deer areas, but also to provide solutions to recover deer herds across Utah.

Protecting Elk, Antelope and Mule Deer from Overharvest

A serious threat to the health of the Fish Lake Elk Herd has surfaced. After an over-harvest of cow elk last year in the Fish Lake Elk Herd, the latest count of elk on the unit was only 2,800 total elk. This is well below the 4,800 elk management plan objective and even further below the historic elk objectives of 6,500 elk in the unit. Even with last year?s overharvest, a few public land grazers are recommending even more drastic reductions in this herd by pushing for a harvest of an additional 500 cow elk from this unit in 2012. This problem is not limited to elk. Last year, DWR stopped the antelope hunt on Parker Mountain early, because of overharvest of antelope on the unit. Yet this same group is pushing for 250 doe antelope hunts on this unit. Needless to say, this type of harvest could be very dangerous to abundant wildlife populations in these herds. SFW will be at the Wildlife Board meetings to speak in support of the DWR recommendations of zero cow elk permits on the Fish Lake Unit and zero doe antelope permits on Parker Mountain to increase these herd back to agreed upon management plan objectives. We will also support continued efforts by Utah DWR to ensure that Mule Deer harvest allows for recovery of Utah?s mule deer populations. These efforts combined with ongoing predator control, habitat work and efforts to reduce highway mortality can provide an opportunity not only to protect existing wildlife populations, but to increase mule deer and other wildlife populations for Utah Sportsmen.

Pheasant Restoration Project

SFW and the SFW Richfield chapter is working on a significant pheasant restoration project in Sevier county. This project will focus on two separate transplants of approximately 3,000 birds this fall and early in 2013. Additionally, habitat projects on Wildlife Management Areas to support pheasant survival are being explored in support of this effort. The first transplant of roosters and a few hens will occur this fall. This transplant will be in advance of the November 12, 2012 youth hunt. We will be releasing additional details of this youth hunt in the next few months. The second release of primarily female pheasants will occur in late winter/early spring of 2013. This second transplant will support efforts to restore breeding pheasant populations in areas of suitable habitat in portions of Sevier county. The overall investment in this pheasant restoration effort is expected to be in excess of $30,000.

Conclusion

A huge thank you to each of your for your support of these important conservation efforts being driven by Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife. These projects and many other efforts on behalf of wildlife would not be possible without the many dedicated and tireless chapter volunteers across Utah. 2012 is truly shaping up to be a monumental year for the future of wildlife in the state of Utah. We are grateful to each and every one of you for your ongoing support.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I am glad to see them do some of these things. I dont agree with SFW on alot of things. BUT, if they can get them to stop killing all the elk and lopes in that area and let the animals come back to objective, that is fantastic.

The one thing that I am excited about is the Pheasant help. Growing up, we hunted our family farm in Annabella Utah. It was way fun. Tons of pheasants. NOW=NOTHING. I hope this works adn would like to see it done in more areas of the state.

Cant beleive I am about to say this, but good on you SFW for these itmes!!

I'm very critical of sfw, good job if they follow through with it. I'll help where I can!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Founder,
Thanks for sharing. It is nice to see SFW efforts positively represented here along with many of us who support them.
We all love wildlife and hopefully we can fight together for wild game to flourish.

I have been fairly critical of SFW but I acknowledge that they do some very good things. Kudos to them on these projects. I hope that they are using some of the monies generated from the Expo tags to fund these projects. Most of the "SFW critics" merely want these groups to spend these monies on actual conservation projects and then provide an accounting. I don't think that is an unreasonable request.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Winchester Apex .50 Cal
Mathews Drenalin LD

Thanks for the postive post ! Nice to see what Sfw is doing to help the wildlife here in Utah.

Thanks for the info. Thanks for being civil. Sportsmen can work together. Yes there needs to be accountability. SFW keep up the good work and projects.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom