Good Hawaii hunt

m_freeman

kicking around the idea of a DIY Hawaiin goat or deer hunt.
Thinking Goats Big Island or Maui and deer on Lanai anyone have any experiences.

Plenty of axis on Lanai, archery is the best deal. That's my favorite hunt.
On Maui, hunt goats in the Kula Forest Reserve. Public land on Maui is limited. If your time is limited, it would be better spent on Lanai. There's no lack of deer or places to hunt there.

FYI ,that Lanai hunt took a turn for the worst. First off, it was a draw [though all drew]in the Spring- a few weeks ago actually.

The State of Hawaii didn't renew the lease and it looks like they don't have the funds. Some big $$ interests were trying to get it but there is many conflicts with that- it may still be up in the air. You could probably pay the big $$$$$ and hunt the private.

Maui is tough and I don't know it well. If you can get on that big ranch on the S side of the crater- great deer hunting. Some leased land by hunting clubs and Perierra is a good guide I hear.

Kauai has some spots you can hike into like the Kalalau valley [about 12-14 miles] which is one of the prettiest places on earth, if it weren't for the chopper trips every 5 minutes and the 481" of rain it would be heaven.

Big island has a few spots to hike to also- mostly goats.

Best for DIY is probably Molowkai

Get your license months in advance. No real layup spots anywhere public, much steep ground and with thick tangled grass covering uneven lava your knees,ankles and body will get a workout that you will remember for some time.

There was 4 of us MM'ers down on the Big Island last month for our annual fishing trip but two of the guys along with fishing Capt and mate went hunting up on Moana Loa for anything they could find they had tags for all game.

A Corsican Ram was taken and brought back to the house for wrapping and later to eat....surprising it was a young Ram and was really good. Lots of game up on the "hill" and lots of LAVA ROCK to walk on to hunt. There is a pic of the Ram on a post on the Campfire Forum somewhere concerning KONA threads.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

>You could probably pay the
>big $$$$$ and hunt the
>private.
>
Big $$$$ ??? DIY on the Lanai Co. you must be joking ?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11 AT 03:49PM (MST)[p]I remember lookin at this a few years ago and Lanai was DIY archery axis deer hunt every day. I looked at the regs and that has changed. I the Big Island will be best, I have been camping along the Kona coast and seen many feral goats, I do like the idea it's every day of the week in some areas.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11
>AT 03:49?PM (MST)

>
>I remember lookin at this a
>few years ago and Lanai
>was DIY archery axis deer
>hunt every day. I looked
>at the regs and that
>has changed.
Where are you getting your info from ?
North end of Island is a State run hunt and it's NOT year-round. However, the southern half is run by the Lanai Co and it's year-round and no guide required. And it's always been that way. Look at the date on the regs, they don't update them because it never changes. The regs will only show public land hunts.

Big Island just last month on the side of Moana Loa.

5559konaramsheep.jpg

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

>>LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11
>>AT 03:49?PM (MST)

>>
>>I remember lookin at this a
>>few years ago and Lanai
>>was DIY archery axis deer
>>hunt every day. I looked
>>at the regs and that
>>has changed.
>Where are you getting your info
>from ?
>North end of Island is a
>State run hunt and it's
>NOT year-round. However, the southern
>half is run by the
>Lanai Co and it's year-round
>and no guide required. And
>it's always been that way.
>Look at the date on
>the regs, they don't update
>them because it never changes.
>The regs will only show
>public land hunts.
>

I guess this must be the North side of the island regs
http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dofaw/hunting/lanmammregs.html
I'll see if I can find the year round info as I recall I did read something like 1 deer per day archery only and the lic or tag was $10.00 DIY

Buyer beware if you go guided. I booked a hunt last month with some plick who operates under the name of Overton Land & Tropical Livestock Company. Seems he was more interested in blocking off public roadways with his truck than hunting. He'd get me up at the crack of dawn and stop for a coffee where he'd mysteriously lose his wallet and expect me to pay. Then when we got after it his idea of a fun hunt was taking me on the Bataan Death March. Worst guided hunt I've ever been on. Not only did I not tip the guy, I canceled my check before he could cash it. Guy changes the name of his outfit all the time to fly under the radar. He is easily recognized though because the plick is usually wearing boots with the the soles duct taped to the bottom. (no doubt he buys his boots from the second hand store because I'm not the only client to stiff him) I warned him if he does not have a 4WD outfit next year I'm staying at the wading pool. :)

In all seriousness though, Hawaii is somewhat of a sleeper state when it comes to game. On the big island, a non res permit is readily affordable and there is everything from sheep, goats, turkeys, and vast amounts of game birds. Just be prepared to put down some serious shoe leather through some nasty terrain.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11 AT 06:35PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-11 AT 06:17?PM (MST)

I've hunted Lanai several times, both state and private. State tag was free for many years, last time I was there in '04 the Non-Res Lic was $100 and the tag was $50 state for 1 deer, and $50 private land archery with no limit and valid for 365 days. Private land rifle was $275 per day, 3 deer limit and only one could be a buck. I've heard that it went up since then and now the archery is $60.
If you hunt the Big Island you will definately ruin your boots. I tossed mine in the trash before I left.

ps. Hawaii doesn't update the regs but they include updates stapled to the regs when you pick them or recieve them in the mail. The Lanai Mouflon hunt has been closed to the taking of rams for the last 3 years and those online regs don't reflect that.

Yeah I know how things can go in Hawaii as far as gov't publishing up to date info. I think I'll focus on the big Island for my first hunt trip, great camping and shore diving as well. I just need to figure out what to do with my rifle while camping as far as I know firearms aren't allowed in any campgrounds, probably find someone to hold it for me there.

>Yeah I know how things can
>go in Hawaii as far
>as gov't publishing up to
>date info.

It's called "polynesian paralysis"

The other thing you want to consider while hunting Hawaii is to know where you are....the locals can be ornery.

Plenty of plots around that you wouldn't want to stumble onto while bushwhacking- booby traps, razor blades, pitbulls, etc.

Bumped more than a few of these on the Hilo side of the big island but being with a local Bro made it cool.

Bring a bow and you will make instant friends...

>The other thing you want to
>consider while hunting Hawaii is
>to know where you are....the
>locals can be ornery.
>
>Plenty of plots around that you
>wouldn't want to stumble onto
>while bushwhacking- booby traps, razor
>blades, pitbulls, etc.
>
>Bumped more than a few of
>these on the Hilo side
>of the big island but
>being with a local Bro
>made it cool.
>
>Bring a bow and you will
>make instant friends...

yeah that was my next question, which areas are visitor friendly? I have camped all over the islands and have learned how to use respectful language and how to ask about certain things. When speaking with the locals that issue camping permits I always say, "being a visitor I really don't know which areas may be more prone to crime than other areas, can you tell us areas that have a higher crime rate so we can avoid them"? So far this approach, along with asking around quietly has worked very well. However, invading the locals hunting plot is a little different than finding out which end of the beach is safe to camp at. I will check around before venturing into the unknown.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom