Good decision

buttshot

Very Active Member
Now if the Federal lawsuit would get dismissed....

SALT LAKE CITY ?- A judge has dismissed a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of a boy killed in a 2007 bear attack in American Fork Canyon.

Tuesday, 4th District Court Judge David Mortensen ruled the state of Utah isn't responsible for the attack that killed 11-year-old Samuel Ives because bears are part of the natural environment.

The ruling also said state agencies are immune to responsibility in situations that arise from natural conditions on public lands.

Ives was drug from his tent and mauled by a black bear while camping with his family on June 17, 2007. The wrongful death lawsuit claimed the state should have issued warnings that a bear had been seen in the campground earlier that day.

The family won a federal lawsuit against the U.S. Forest Service and was awarded $1.9 million.

I feel for the family but in no way is the state to blame for the boy's death. I also feel that the decision against the USFS was wrong and set a terrible precedent for endless legal litigation.

Eldorado

I hope that the family donated the 1.9 million to a company who will make signs that warns people there are bears in the area. Ridiculous.....

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

I'd rather see them use the money to educate city folk that don't understand where bears live, than a bunch of signs stating the obvious.

Kinda like posting signs on the trees to inform them they are in a forest.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

so up where i elk hunt there is no wolf signs so if i get attacked that mean i have a case.

also no moose signs, so if a angry cow charges me and i get attacked does that mean i have a case.

i feel for the family to but man everyone today is just all about putting down lawsuits

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom