Good Cowboy Music

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I'm starting to really like the old cowboy music such as Marty Robbins and Sons of the Joaquin. Who do you like to listen to? Trying to expand my horizon on music. Thanks.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Marty Robbins tells some good stories in his songs, he is one of my favorites for sure. My Grandma used to always listen to his tapes when I was growing up so his music brings back some pretty special memories for me.

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Jack Hannah (Sons of the San Joaquin) was my high school counselor..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-11 AT 12:45PM (MST)[p] JACKS A GOOD MAN.....HE SANG AT MY BUDDYS WEDDING. SSJ ARE A HECK OF A GROUP. HEY WIZ.....I LOVE TO GO BACK AND LISTEN TO MARTY ROBBINS,EDDIE ARNOLD, JIMMY DEAN, MICHEAL MARTIN MURPHY,STATLER BROTHERS, SONNY JAMES, ALL OF WILLIE NELSON'S OLD SONGS.......AND A FEW MORE. I THINK HAGGARD WILL ALWAYS BE MY FAVORITE THOUGH......................YD.

At first I thought I was going to win a prize for correctly identifying the oxymoron. Then I realized that I was the oxymoron!

Spent a couple of hours with Jack, Joe, and Lon after a concert swapping stories. Those guys were a riot! They really live it. Love to catch them live whenever I can. I love listening to that stuff on an am radio in an old p/u with the single speaker in the middle of the dash with a push button tuner. Hard to beat those classic artists.

Check out Tom Russell, Ramblin Jack Elliot, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, Michael Martin Murphy, and Hank Williams Sr. They have all recorded some good cowboy music.

Ryan Bingham is a newer artist that has some cowboy roots but is a little more kicked up. His first album "Mescalito" is pretty good.

Slaid Cleaves album "Brokedown" has some good story songs. Writes his own music and recorded with a stand-up bass.

If you like the story telling side more then the western sound, I've got a bunch of those too. Irish and bluegrass.

Chasing down music is the only thing more addictive then bowhunting for me. Sounds like it's too late for you too, Wiz.

Hey Wis,

I grew up listening to my dad's "favorites". Now, I can't go anywhere in the outdoors without the stuff.

Marty Robbins for sure.
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid soundtrack (Bob Dylan).
Once Upon a Time in the West soundtrack.
The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly soundtrack.

There are more songs, just can't remember who sings them off the top of my head.

With losing dad last year, listening to those tunes in our favorite haunts means a lot more now than it ever did!

EG

campfire2.gif
"A man can be hard to find in the mountains, but you're welcome at my fire anytime."

Try Ian Tyson, Don Edwards or Red Steagall they're all good old cowboy tpye singers.

eyeguard- You nailed it. When my dad and I go hunting to WY we listen to mostly HIS music. My music is the newer country with some Randy Travis, old Garth, George Straight oldies thrown in. We listen to Marty Robbins, Sons of the San Joaquin, Michael Martin Murphy (can't stand it though, the guy cant carry a tune for sh!t IMO), and several cowboy poets. That type of music reminds me of the good times we've had on our trips over the last 15 years together. Lookin into getting some David Allan Coe and Charley Pride. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Theres a cowboy music "weekend" up in Monterey, Ca every year that my parents go to. I'd like to hit that up one of these years but it's a bit pricey.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

A little TG Sheppard and Kieth Whitley on a cold day driving down a dirt road from one coyote stand to the other. Just thinking about it gets me a little excited for the upcoming month. I wanna go kill some dogs!

It's always an adventure!!!

>how about some older chris ledoux!
>

+ 1 gotta love old chris also some body said johnny horton with those two on the radio and a snowy day its hard to have a better duck hunt.

Ive got your four basic food groups! Beans, Bacon, Whiskey, and Lard!

David Alan Coe
Jerry Jeff Walker
Chris Ledoux

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard are my two favorite old timers. One of the new up and comers who has that old time style is Jamie Johnson, if you havent heard him yet I highly recommend it. His style is somewhere between Jennings and Jones (Ive been told.)

>Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard are
>my two favorite old timers.
>One of the new up
>and comers who has that
>old time style is Jamie
>Johnson, if you havent heard
>him yet I highly recommend
>it. His style is somewhere
>between Jennings and Jones (Ive
>been told.)

+1
horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Marty Robbins
Mearl Haggard
Jonny Cash
Conway Twitty
CHarlie Pride
Charlie Rich
Kris Christopherson
Charlie Daniels
David Allen Coe
Don Williams
Hank Jr.
Waylon
Willie

I'll throw in a Utah boy out of Hooper. Brenn Hill, great songwriter storyteller. For the Elk hunters out there find his song Meet me in McCall.

Dave Stamey is a good one. He lives about 15 minutes north of us, I believe in Nipomo.

Steve

If you have XM radio try the Outlaw Channel I think it's 60. Anyways I'm addicted.

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom