GONGS

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Anyone offering any good gongs ? Looking to get something for a thanksgiving weekend shoot with the family. I have been looking for a plow disc to make one. Haven't come across one yet. I would build one with a disc if someone had a disc for sale. Thanks for any help

John I would suggest maybe checking the local metal yards and looking through the scrap bins. Ive found some great pieces in them. Very easy to make a few gongs. PM me if you need some ideas on some easy setups.

Just find a place where you can set up on a highway road sign.

They are WAY cheaper, sit up nicely off the ground, and make their own exotic, resonating sound, when you hit them.,,,,,,and there are lots' of 'em!

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

Best one I ever made up was out of a man-hole cover and some cable. Weighed about 100# but made a nice splat when you hit it.

>Just find a place where you
>can set up on a
>highway road sign.
>
> They are WAY cheaper, sit
>up nicely off the ground,
>and make their own exotic,
>resonating sound, when you hit
>them.,,,,,,and there are lots' of
>'em!
>
>"If God did not intend for
>man to hunt animals, he
>would have made broccoli more
>fun to shoot"

and the state has been kind enough to put sillhouttes on them. The jumping deer are my favorites, but the cows aren't bad either.j/k

Ok should have saw that one coming. lol But this is what I was thinking of....
3407target.jpg

This is the best of the west guys. They sell it for 320.00 or the gong only for 179.00 Anybody out there use one ? I think it a bit pricey.
Caldwell sells this one for 120.00
165caldwell.jpeg

Not sure if sportsman has it at there store. But I know they carry caldwell targets.

I made one on my own for about $70. I went to local metal shop and bought an 18x18" piece of AR500, had them drill two holes in the top of it and then just hung it from a wooden saw horse with chains. It beats the crap out of the wood but it's held up for two years now and another saw horse is cheap. My .300 RUM doesn't even dent the AR500. I went with 1/2 inch thick but I'm betting 3/8" would be plenty.

.If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

FLEH No at 1000 yards the arrows dont even leave a dent !
I have looked for AR 500 here locally ,but no luck. I was thinking of trying some regular steel ,but not sure how it will hold up ? I may just order the best of the west gong so i can get it here. I can make a frame out of pipe scraps. I have a pipe machine so it would just thread together.
Any other ideas ?

Look on eBay for some AR500 plates. I think I remember seeing some there.

....If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

I just looked and there is a 15" diameter AR500 for $100 on eBay right now.

..If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

Thanks Marley and cahunter that guy on 24hour camp fire gots some great prices. I sent him a email !!

I cant imagine what it would cost to ship one of those heavy sob's. I would think a guy could find a piece of steel somewhere around town.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Where are you located. If you are located by the Northern Utah area(Ogden) I have some supplys that I can get you. I make my own and they have done great for me. Let me know.

I remember going to a turkey shoot once as a little kid and they hung an old oxygen or acetylene bottle from a branch of an oak tree. Of course not full. Boy did it make a helluva gong when they hit it

any place that sell metal sheets should have some remannts in thier remannt stack(cheaper price) Here in the HD it Pattons,Endura steel, Bear valley Fab, or Western Fab.
I have a bunch of 1/4 thick 4'by 4' sheets we use them all the time. My 30-378 will make a hole in the 1/4, But I weld 2 of them together and it wouldn't.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

BigJT,
Check with any crop farmer, they have to replace the discs every so often. Usually have a pile of old ones lying around.
Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

BigJ,

If you are ever in the Grand Junction area let me know. As Paradox said, I've got a pile of old ones.

Wow thanks cody ! That sound great.I will have to give you a call to see how far away it is. Is it way up north where I think it is ?

Thanks guys !! If I have some buddies going threw GJ i will pm you. May have some going for a late hunt. I grew up hunting elk on the Grand mesa from about the age of 11 to 18.
Shootin I am willing to pay for an of your extras you have. My brother in law is coming down for thanksgiving. I have a cougar tag and I think my dog guy is going to drag my butt out this weekend if the snow hits.

I missed this thread, but use the link Cahunter posted, best price on AR500 I've ever seen and the guy is great to deal with, and will ship up to 70
lbs for around 20 bucks..

those BOTW prices are ridiculous.

Ok did some shooting before dinner. Got a gong put together.
I found some local steel ,a 1 inch 10 and 3/4 round and a half inch 10" square. This is how they did at 300 yards shooting a 300 tejas ,270 both loaded w/Barnes and a 223 AR15.
7801img_0538.jpg

This is the one inch steel plate.
2049img_0539.jpg

This is the 1/2 inch .The 300 Tejas went right threw it at 300 yards. The 270 left a good dent.
We are going to do some more shooting tommorrow. With holes like that the plate wont last long. I think I need to order the AR 500 plates from the felow in california. He has some good prices.
We also shot them at 25 yards with pistols 9mm,40cal and 22 rifles. Hardle left a dent. A ar 15 didn't go threw the plates at 25,just a good hole. But not all of the way.

I'm surprised the 223 didn't punch through...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Im telling ya, if you get your guys to get ahold of me, you wont have to worry about all of those craters. Those wont last very long. The ones I have I have shot with a 300 ultra mag at 100 yards and they leave slight marks on them. I also hang them so that helps with the impact, but this steel is strong stuff!

Shootin we need to get with you for sure. If your steel can handle a 300 rum at 100 without hardle a mark. I was a little surprised how big of a crater was left by the 300 at 300 yards.
The 223 at 25 yards didn't go threw ether plate. The mark on the silver plate next the pen is a 223 dent from the other side at 25 yards.
This is just what I put together last minute to go shooting for turkey day. I bulit a frame with old pipe scrapes. I will post up a picture of it with the steel hanging on it later.
The caldwell target was 199.00 at sportsman. I put this together for about 10 bucks.
Thanks for everyones help and helping with the learning curve.

You have my number....call anytime you get the chance and ill hook you up. Looks like you guys at least had some fun while you were out though, and that is all that counts!

Here is how it turned out.
5477img_0540.jpg

This is what one of the plates looked like after getting hit by a 50 cal.
3312img_0545.jpg

The 50 cal took out the corner and the other two upper holes. We where having a good time. That was at 300 yards

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-11 AT 01:46PM (MST)[p]I just got a email today from sportsman's warehouse. The Caldwell target is on sale email only for 99.00 . At the store the price is 199.00. Both come with electronic ear muffs. Just thought I would pass this along .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom