Gone hunting!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
Just now putting the last bits of gear into my pop-up cabover and heading north and up from Westwood to my hunting spot. Last time there, i backed up to this little lake, got out my chair and set it up along the shore next to the big rock that held my leaned up rifle and fishing gear on top. My book was handy as was my soda.

If i cast out my line, i was sure to get a trout bite within half a minute. it was either set the hook or get my bait stolen and being i hate thieves, i had 10-13" trout for dinner as often as i wanted. Deer would come off the timbered bluffs to water and feed on the vegetation growing out in the shallows along the lake shores. One of the things i liked about this lake is that no shot was more than 300 or so yards across and i had the only camping spot available.

Yeah, it's not near the kinda hunting that i craved all of my younger years but now days, it's comfortable and while there, i'm very relaxed and content. I'm hoping to fill my tag this year, could use a buck in the freezer if nothing else but there are always some really good blacktail cross bucks in this bit of God's high country and i'd like nothing more that to get a chance to dirt check just how big a rack i was looking at.

Good luck to all you guys with tags and seasons that open this weekend!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Good luck Sage.

2311idiot.jpg

Good luck Joey, we are going scouting. Yep I am missing opening weekend. If you dont tag out and we some how get a freak rainstorm we will have to go like we talked about. We will watch the weather. Good luck!!

Thanks for all the well wishes guys! I was afraid someone might have taken my little spot by that lake and when i came around the corner and used my flashlight to look, there was a little trailer and pickup all nestled back up against the spot. Darn! No matter really, they may be there for a few days or a week but i have it the rest of the year so i'll bide my time.

I spent the opener up in a saddle between two high points. There was water way down below in a nice little creek and the hillsides had been thinned of too much timber. Lots of bitterbrush and sage, it's in the far eastern corner of C-4. Though i saw few tracks, what i did see were good tracks, big ones, and last year when i didn't have a tag for this area, i saw a nice non-typical, maybe a 22-23" 7x7 or more, cross the highway right in front of me and he was headed close in the direction of where i spent the last few hunts.

After the Giants game, yes i came home for the game, i'll be heading back out for another day or so. I have a good friend coming by Tues and we'll be changing the color of my house as well as putting up new trim and facial boards. So, i look to be fairly busy with that for a few days but might get in some evening hunts here close by. Again, thanks and good luck guys!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

have fun good luck..
I'll be on my way by noon til late wensday in B1...
after I find my "scba" cause still a few smoking stumps up their
and I like my smoke a little less burnt!
whole area should do well been closeto public since Aug 13 I think because of the "north fire" and just now are opening a few roads!!

Still no buck for me! I've been busy with work, getting my house painted, and trying to fit in some hunting as time allows.

The last couple nights have been spent up at that little lake i talked of earlier in the thread. The Meat bees are bad this year. Yesterday as i was trying to fill out my limit of rainbows, they were all over me buzzing around. Not biting me but still. So this morning i had left a bit of meat on one of my pork chops from dinner the evening before and set that out about 10' away from where i was fishing. Presto change-0, all the bees headed for the pork chop like a bad habit and left me to my fishing without having to worry about them bees. Worked great and i got a easy limit of nice trout in a half hour or so.

I never seen such bait thiefen trout in my life! I went thru a third of a jar of power bait before i could bring the first trout to hand. Seemed like those fish would take a run at the bait and swipe at it as they swam by. Big strikes then nothing and i'd wind in a empty hook. I got smart and put a little treble hook on and covered that with the floating bait. It worked like a charm. I don't like to use trebles for bait fishing as a rule but at $6. a jar, i wanted to put some fish on the shore instead of just feeding them.

Seeing very few deer in the South most Eastern part of the C zones. Most guys i've talked to are only seeing a couple to a few deer a day. Think i'm going to spend more time West and up above Chester. Hearing good reports from that Country, it's not too far from where i've been looking but there are surely more deer in that country.

Good luck all!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom