Going Traditional?

thinair

I am contemplating trying out a recurve for next fall. It seems like it would be more simplistic; not as many items to tune and have problems with. Besides limiting my range and possibly requiring more practice to become proficient with, is there any other downsides?

One you might not think of is the reaction of other people.
I got pulled over for speeding outside Pagosa Springs,Colorado by a local cop. He was willing to give me a warning so I did not buck too much with his non-res bashing attitude. he then told me that I should get some "real euipment" and he was tired of non-res comeing to the NATIONAL forests and wish we had to qualify some how because we "don't have a clue" at all. I guess he felt the recurve visable in the back seat confirmed his premise.

The fact that you must practice daily to get and stay proficent
at instinctive shooting. I have days when I feel confedent and days with doubts of my ability. I like to stump shoot while on the hunt to stay tuned. And bring a target to camp,shooting by lamp light each night. Off-season, one or two arrows before work and every other afternoon I shoot 40 - 60 times frome different positions.

The best part of my traditonal shooting is the cool people I have met. These guys make there own gear and can really drill the targets. I own two bows from to guys I met in this process.
Good Hunting
Griz

Love traditional. I made the switch in 07. Its addicting as hell. Like Griz said practice is much more important but that's part of the fun. Get yourself a bow and run with it!

Traditional >>>------->

The only down side I can see is finding the bow that fits you right so you can remain consistently accurate, even after a lay off from shooting, trust me, it can be done. It took me about 6 bows to find the right one and I had a handle custom made to boot. I get a bigger kick outta putting 3 arrows in a 3" circle at 25 yrds than I do with the wheels at 50. Its a lot of fun and super addicting.

+ 1 with 3blades remarks - I have a 29" draw lenth with a wheel bow and my draw lenth is 26 3/4 to 27" with the recurve. most recurves are for 28" draws and you want the " sweet spot" to be at Your anchor point.
I am the proud owner of a 51# Bighorn Takedown and this bow is sweet for my draw! I shot a Great Plains Swift 55# takedown at a shop in Pagosa Springs,Co. .......Sweet!
I am at a point where I need to decide if a more powerfull set of limbs is the way I should go, or poney up and buy a higher poundage Swift. I have toyed with the Idea of a compound again as they have become so much quieter of late. I want a chance at a pass- through on a bull elk. I feel a bit under gunned with the 51# bow. However, pulling much more then 56-58# will be tough for me. Too much poundage can ruin your form and can be counter productive.
Good Hunting
Pick-a-spot!
Griz

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom