Go to Guide School?

R

Rack

Hi, I'm new to the Forum and I am curious to know if it is worth it to go to one of those Hunting Guide schools available. I am interested in becoming a guide, and am trying to find out if it is a worthy investment. Please let me know what you think and if there is any particular school you would suggest, Thank's.

I would think it would be more than worthwhile, unless you know everything about horses, including shoeing, and everything else a guide is expected to know already. It is generally also a good way to get a job through their references and contacts. I doubt that there is much money in it, but who needs money! When I was young I really thought about that career because of my love for the outdoors, but was chicken to do it when the final decision was made with waht I was going to do after I got out of the Army in 71. Some of the guys on here that live right out in the western states may be able to give you the names of a few they consider reputable. Good luck if you go that route!

Its definitely worth it if you want to get into the business. But on the same hand, you need to be careful in choosing a school, because some just do it so you set up their camp and then they have no job for you. .. I went to a guide school and worked for them afterwards for 4 years. Every student we graduate is guaranteed job placement and future help. I have guided with other guys who went to different schools and heard many horror stories. Check out (www.royaltine.com). Cody and LeRee are incredible people. It was hard for me to leave working their but I had to stick with a good job in WY than needs me to run pack trips all summer and fall hunts. I tought the first class of this summer and we had 8 students of which 7 wanted to go to work and all of them left the school with a job to head to. if you have more detailed questions, i will be happy to try to answer them for you. I am busy in WY so it might take me a day or two. Also, if you are deciding between schools, there are a couple out there that have real nice websites and seem nice, but have absolutely no place teaching students. . I wont say names on here so just PM me. My biggest suggestion is if you call multiple schools is to ask for REFERENCES from past students. some schools wont give them to you because they know if someone calls a past student it will be a bad review.

I don't think that you would need to pay someone to learn that profession. I know alot of the guide schools teach good things, but I feel it is another way for them to make money in the summer from kids that will end up doing something else in life because the pay is very low. The pay is fine when you are young and single, but if you ever start a family, it just won't pay the bills. Im assuming that you are a young feller just starting out, and I know that there are a lot guides that would like an extra hand and would pay you a little bit to do it. Even if it is just the crap jobs to start out, cutting firewood in camp, feeding the stock, washing dishes etc.

If you aren't going the college route, I would suggest trying to get a government/municipality job where you would have enough vacation time/holidays to go help guide in the fall. you won't get rich, but it would be fairly secure and you would have retirement, insurance, etc. The key is getting in when you are young. If you get in when you are 20, you could retire with full benefits at age 50, then go guide your butt off.

Good luck
oakbrush

Its definitely worth it if you want to get into the business. But on the same hand, you need to be careful in choosing a school, because some just do it so you set up their camp and then they have no job for you.

The above statement is so true, heard that maybe 2 or 3 times over the years from some that used these Guide Schools to learn and all they learned was how to set up the Guides camp for him each year.....

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I was fortunate enough to have a father who was a guide for many years so his knowledge was past down to me. Every outfitter has their own way of doing things. If you are wanting to work for someone who does wilderness horse back hunts and your knowledge and experience with horses and mules is slim to none than a guide school might be beneficial to you. That is unless you are hired on by an outfitter with the patience to teach you. It takes many years of practice and time in the saddle to become proficient at the trade. One key thing you need to learn is how to pack and how to properly load panniers and rig mannies and such, along with setting up wall tents along with the ability to be personable and change your hunting style in order to accommodate those whom you are guiding. Becoming a guide is something you typically won't step right into. It took me 3 years to work my way up the totem pole to becoming a guide. Often you will start out as a Packer, Camp Jack or something of that sort.
Coloradoboy

I never went to a guide school and I have guided for many many years. I have only met 2 guys that went to these guides schools and they weren't worth a damn. If you know nothing about horses or setting up tent camps and maybe a little cooking, then you could learn something. But if you're going just to learn how to hunt, call and interact with other people I would say it's a waste of time and money. You should already know how to call, when to call, and how to handle somebody that doesn't hunt all the time. Just my oppinion though. I'm sure there are some good programs out there but I've never heard of any.

It's always an adventure!!!

If you get lost driving to the guide school, turn around...they dont know what they are doing.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

+1 Bull
If you have a good set of eyes, are a hard worker, and was brought up on any kind of outdoor lifestyle, you don't need to waste your money on school.
You're not going to make s###, but if it's the career you want to pursue, start researching outfitters in the area/terrain you want to guide and start making phone calls.
Good luck.

you get to learn cpr, and packing horses, learning differnt ways to pack a horse or mule. some outtfitters wont hire you until you take the course.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom