GMC Leveling Kit Help

mtmuley

Long Time Member
I recently purchased a 2003 GMC 2500 non HD 4x4 truck. While it is a nice, clean, great running rig, the "rake" from front to rear has to go, followed by a slightly taller tire. What kits have you guys that own these trucks used? Did you install yourself? How was ride & handling afterward? How tall is the max tire size that can fit? I just want the 2-3 inches that will bring it up to the same height as the rear. Are torsion keys the only way? I'm on a budget, but want to do it the right way. Thanks guys, mtmuley

Don't spend any money on a leveling kit! Just turn up the torsion keys you will get all the lift your looking for. With a kit that's all your doing anyways. You will be able to clear 33s just fine depending on wheel width.
And all you will pay for is an alignment.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I know a guy that has an 08 dura-max.
Right out of the factory the tires would slightly rub the fenders.
He put a leveling kit on it & it will still rub the mud flaps when turning.
WTF?
You can sure tell they are leaning towards 'NOT' wanting people putting bigger tires on them without some major work.
Won't be long & they'll be 100% Obama approved.

I drive an 09 2500 hd gas motor for work. I turned up the torsion bars and run 285s just fine. If I hit something hard with the wheels cranked they touch a little but not bad at all. My dad and both brothers run 285s with the torsion bars turned up with little or no problems. If your running anything over an 8 inch wide wheel you will run into problems. My truck has a 6 inch lift with 35s on 18x10 wheels and I haven't been able to get them to touch. Don't think I will have another truck without the suspension lift expensive but very very nice! Saved my butt this last december, pushed an elk under instead of over the hood. All it did was take out my fog light and break the plastic off my bumper. Replaced it with a ranch hand and don't worry about it at all.

You find out who your friends are when you see who shows up to help pack your bull out!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Muley....Have you found a sturdy enough mount for the 300RUM yet?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I have that exact truck. 03 3/4 ton silverado without the HD. I cranked the torsion bars up and it got ruff as hell and ate my tires up. It was re aligned and had new tires. So I figured I would try the key kit with 2 inch blocks in the rear. Well I cleared 285s just fine but I had to come up with 1000 bucks to have the whole front end rebuilt. Pitman, idler,tie rods, ect and a new alignment. 15,000 mile later I had the same thing done again for 1000 more bucks. Well at that point I pulled the blocks out and I cranked the torsions back down as low as I could with the key kit still on and I put 265/75/16s on it and I have got about 50,000 mile on this front end and I just bought a tierod end today. So my advice would be to not crank the torsions up or put a key kit in it. If u really want to raise it spend the extra money and buy a real lift. Thats my 2 cents for what its worth. Plus ever since I messed with the torsions I cant get a good wear out of any tires even with it aligned right!

dont crank the torsion bars unless you like going through tires...i have a halfton with 285 which is the same size as 33s...it goes through tires even after getting aligned...you want it higher do it the right way not the cheep way

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

+1 Huntnfever
You have to spend the money
Either do it right the first time or spend the money to fix it after you have screwed it up BUT You will spend the money if you want to clear those type of tires.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

+3, turning the torsion bars is as redneck/halfassed as it gets..it will do fine, unless you use the truck..

How was your trip to Utardia muley?

Any good alignment guy knows you don't make it ride on the bump stops! If you do then it causes the problems said above. Turn them up about halfway and you can clear 285s just fine without losing much ride comfort and no more wear and tear. Make them give you a printout of the alignment, if it doesn't have your year make and model on the page the tech got lazy and changed the specs so everything would show green.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have a 2004 GMC 3/4 ton on which I installed 2" blocks in the rear and replaced the torsion keys and cranked them up in order to clear some 285 tires. Luckily, the wear & tear happened before the warranty expired. The entire front end had to be rebuilt after about 25,000 miles. I changed everything back to stock real quick after that.

Hey guys, Thanks a ton for the help. First, Hey Hard, my shoulder seems to hold up to the RUMS so far. I have two more, a .338 and a .300 to work on this summer. (Thats 4 so far, I do love em!!!!) REDDOG, I liked Logan. Seems like a nice town. I stayed with my mother in Kearns. Kearns is, well... ok I guess. A job keeps my mother there for now. As for the lifting of this truck, if torsion keys are not the way, what is? I want to do it right. OpeningDay, I appreciate the help, and I'll get in touch. Again, thanks. mtmuley

When I put my suspension lift on it cost $2400 installed. That is the right way to do it. I think turning up the torsion keys a little won't hurt anything. The guys that are having problems are turning them all the way up. I have 5 trucks to reference on for that.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Mine arent cranked all the way same problem...my cousin is the service manager for GMC dealership here says he sees alignment problems all the time cause the local kids crank the bars to fit bigger tires...plus the speedo is elctrical controled and my truck had to be reprogramed for the tires...After this set of tires i am going to stock tires and having the torsion bars back to stock...it just aint worth it to have a little bigger tire to me.

47e9fcb352ad748f.jpg

has anyone seen my kittie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom