Glenn St Charles

W

wildsage

I was reading the Bowhunting Magazine this morning and came across an article about Glenn St. Charles. I found it interesting that the founder of the Pope and Young Club was disappointed in the direction the bow hunting community was heading - Apparently he still liked the more primitive way of hunting. This is a quote that was printed in the magazine for those that have not read the article. "I'd just like to remind everybody that it's about the hunting, not just the killing. In other words, it's about the total experience, the sport itself, and the challenge involved. Bowhunting, done right, is a justifiable and honorable pursuit. Done for the wrong reasons, simply chalking up kills and seeking personal glory, it's taking from rather than giving back to as principled way of life that has to be experienced to be fully understood.

I am reasonably sure that most of the bow hunters already know this about Mr S. Charles and that he passed away recently at the age of 98.

Oh Well

Wildsage

Wildsage I would be reasonably sure that most archery hunters that frequent this site have no idea who you are talking about. Unfortunately only a few of us remember the pioneers of the hunting industry whether it be Jack O'Connor, Elmer Keith, Fred Bear, Howard Hill, or a host of other old timers that I grew up reading about. Alot has changed in the hunting world...not all for the good of our sport. Glenn St Charles founded the P&Y club to recognize outstanding animals taken by archery gear, and also to promote fair chase and conservation. Undoubtedly the explosion of technology has changed the landscape of the archery world. Many of the traditionalists have become critics of the new wave of archery celebrities who are more into self promotion than the the principles of the early pioneers of the industry. Because of the lack of response to your post I believe very few archers actually know who Glenn St. Charles is. Pope and Young hierarchy have fought to exclude animals taken with alot of the modern equipment in an effort to maintain a more primitive standard of weaponry. I would like to see a line in the sand myself.

OH Well

Dikndirt

I've read most of his work.......and also chatted with him a few times.

Mr. St. Charles and some ol' bowhunters from CA:
8327p&y_convention_07_002.jpg

BOHNTR )))---------->

I was priviledged to spend a day with Glenn some twenty years ago. At the time, I didn't realize the man's full contribution to bowhunting. Learned much about Glenn since that day. He was a true pioneer and will be missed.

Sadly, Dikndirt's comment carries alot of truth. For many bowhunters, our history got lost in the shuffle. I would urge anyone passionate about bowhunting to add the Pope & Young Museum to their list of destinations. What an incredible experience!

Most of the current bowhunters have only seen Lee & Tiffany, the Drury Brothers, Jackie Bushman and the rest of the whitetail bowhunter whores that only focus on killing the biggest buck. I highly doubt most of them and quite a few of the current bowhunters under the age of 25 on here can give the first names of Pope and Young, let alone who the man that taught them to hunt with stick and string. I am not a traditional hunter, I don't have the patience to learn and practice everyday with a recurve or longbow, I barely have time to get my compound out and shoot it on a weekly basis (I haven't shot it since I moved here to New Mexico nearly a year ago). Glenn St. Charles was indeed a great man who has passed on with so many others like Fred Bear, Howard Hill, Pope, Young, and the certain Yanni Indian who taught Pope and Young how to hunt with bows and arrows. The guys that are the link to the past aren't in the limelight hardly: Chuck Adams, M. R. James, and Randy Ulmer just to name a few of them. It is really sad when we watch these icons pass on without knowing who they really were. At the very most I wish Adams and Ulmer would let video crews tape their hunts. Every story I have heard is Chuck can stalk game almost as good as a wolf or a coyote and Ulmer can make some serious clutch pressure shots count.
WVBOWAK

>Everybody should get this one!
>
>
1444p1010167.jpg

Papa Bear hunting down on the Little Delta river area in Alaska.

WAY COOL! Thanks for posting. I especially like Papa Bear display. My first inspiration to hunt with a bow came after watching very early film of Fred stalking and shooting [southpaw style] a very large Grizzly Bear. I saved up 45.00 dollars for a Bear "Kodiak" recurve. I practiced constantly and got skilled enough to hit a paper plate consistantly out to a whopping 25 yards. I fletched port oxford cedar shafts with real turkey feathers and tipped them with first ma-3 and then bear razors to take my first muley in 1969 a small forked horn. Later that evening I filled my second [rifle tag] on another small buck and I was hooked for life! I will make a special effort to visit the Museum.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom