Glassing glass?????????

T

TxTrapper

I will be doing some above timberline glassing for elk. I have never done much just sitting and glassing. Not doing any trophy evaluating just looking for game and then seeing where they enter the timber. I will be using these only 10 days a year.
I will be hiking up quit a ways and then sitting.
What do I need?
Tripod?
Thanks............Allen

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-10 AT 06:41PM (MST)[p]It sounds like you have planned a guided hunt. Maybe you should just leave the looking up to them. You don't seem to have the passion that the "typical" hunter has. Buying a pair of binoculars should give you the feeling of a kid at Christmas finally getting what he had wished for, for two or three years. They are something that you carefully hold in your hands, as if they are a one of a kind treasure. I wouldn't even think of leaving home without them, anytime, all year long. If I am reading you wrong I apologize. I own and have owned quite a few. I just looked through some of the Vortex styles. Some of them are very reasonable,(around $230.) I was very impressed. If I can sell a couple of mine, and they are good quality glasses, I am going to get me some 10/42 Vortex. Good luck, and I hope you feel that burning hot hunting campfire in your heart.

Your last question is the most important!!

Tripod, tripod, tripod!

When it comes to binoculars, whether you use $25 Bushnells or $2500 Swarovskis, a tripod will ALWAYS allow you to glass longer, and further, while discerning more details. I truly enjoy sitting behind the glass and plan my hunts so I can. I would just as soon leave my food and water at the truck as my binoculars and tripod.

When it comes to binoculars, for someone who doesn't use them all the time, there is no reason to spend the big money for Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski. I suggest you look at Vortex. Their Razors are less than $800, and their Vipers are less than $600 depending on model and magnification. They seem to be the best combination of quality and price.

Of course, there are many binoculars on the market... the most important thing is to choose a pair that feels good in YOUR hands, and that YOU can see through well.

P.S. For glassing above timberline, I would stick with 10x magnification. With 10x you have enogh magnification for most longrange glassing and enough field of view for use down in the timber.

Give the guys at the Outdoorsmans a call. They carry both the Vortex binoculars and Bogen tripods, plus they are sponsors of this site and they are all hunters and shooters!

Good Luck!!

-----
Trent Swanson
Western Hunter Magazine
www.westernhuntermagazine.net
Outdoorsmans
www.outdoorsmans.com
Wilderness Athlete
www.wildernessathlete.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More