Give me some Advice

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
I know asking for advice on MM is dangerous, but I like to live dangerously. After I get done with my 1 month deer muzzleloader system my wife insists we go see our son in the Bay Area in early January. Ok I can stand the Napa Valley wine tasting tour for a day and San Fran is ok for a day but.... I need something else outdoor type stuff. No surfing last time it darn near killed me. Any suggestions within a couple hours drive, fishing charters something anything. By the way Harry I do like California just struggle with all the people.

I grew up in the East Bay around Livermore. January is not the best time of year outdoorwise but here are a few ideas you might want to look further into;

Big sports and boat show at Cow Palace starts 2nd week jan.
Vally Quail hunting, wild birds, probably need friend for access.
Pheasent hunting on private preserve, pay to play, several oppertunities near by.
Charter boats out of Berkley, whatever's hot, sometimes halibet.
Pig hunting, book a hunt, not too $$, see the country, maybe quail inc. Halfmoon Bay thru Gilroy area or farther south.
Shoot some trap or skeet, several places, maybe even sp.clays not sure.
Bank fish @ Shadow Cliff's East Bay R. Park. Tiger trout, rainbows, big channel cats.
Stripe Bass or sturgen fishing charter or off the shore, delta

Good luck, hope you have fun and get back home saftly.

Yeah, an hour of that and you'll LOVE the wine-tasting tour. On second thought, you should take a two-hour wine-tasting tour before the visit...rather like novacaine.

Cornhusker, I would imagine that hunting is too cumbersome with the time you have and the price for an out-of-state license.

It will be too early for Halibut, but with the rain we're getting now, Sturgeon and Stripers should be wide open in Jan. I know some good boats if you need info.

Where in the Bay Area will you be hanging out and for how long?

Thanks for the advice guys. Forthewall I'm only going to be there about 6 days January 1st through the 7th. My son lives at Walnut Creek which is just east of Oakland about 20 miles. I would like the names of some good charter boats if I could fit it in during that time frame. I can't sit around his place too long and still be relatively sane. I Think I'll pass on meeting Nancy not really a fan of her politics. I think hunting Pheasants in Ne. and the Dakota's is probably better anyhow than California but thanks for the advice on that. Always wanted to catch a Sturgeon maybe this is the time to try it.

My advice....Talk you wife out of it,maybe convince you son to come see you..

Well you asked....:)

horsepoop.gif

CORNHOLE, Ransom has the best idea for you. Maybe you could invite her on the boat with you. Do me a favor make sure the deck is very wet after the sun goes down.

Cornhusker

Okay so you don't like the idea of meeting Pelosi. I have a different idea for you. Go out on a charter to fish for squid and catch crab in traps. Probably not too many of either in Nebraska.
How about Dianne Feinstein?

Ransom

"Give me some advice"......

If you drop your keys on the street in San Francisco, kick them all the way to Oakland before you bend over to pick them up.

Now that there is sound advice for an innocent Nebraska boy!

There's great hog hunting around Napa and south of Walnut Creek down torwards San Jose. And like said before, you can easily go on a charter boat for crabs and rockfish. Moss Landing is a pretty good spot, and Half Moon Bay is good to but it's about 1 1/2 hr north. Charters outa Berkley and San Pablo Bay are pretty good as well. Best bet is to call em up and see how its going. Usually no need to make reservations, especially on weekdays. Also Duck and Goose hunting in the Delta is pretty good right now too. Lotta options........You could also head up to Grizzly Island about 25 minutes north of Walnut Creek and check out the Tule Elk, with all the people they see and no hunting pressure its pretty easy to get close for pictures. Hope this helps, Ryan

If huntin is a sport.....Well your lookin at an athlete!

The best thing happening out hear is the sturgeon and stripers. For sturgeon go with Right Hook Sportfishing or Lucky Strike charters. These guys are the best in the bay and they are 6-pack boats. For stripers go with Happy Hooker. Or you can drive north to Bodega and get on the New Sea Angler with Rick Powers and catch the Humbolt squid to 70lbs which is a lot of fun.

Ya know Bucketmouth it's too bad Corny isn't coming out in Feb. I think he would really enjoy a Steelhead trip on the Klamath or the Smith. Better it be the Smith, at least you can still keep your fish! That would be a nice change scenery from Nebraska.

Corn, if you tried to pm me it didn't go through. Let me know if you got mine.

You Guys are Great! You have greatly surpassed all my expectations. I'm already checking on some of the charters, We had a little emergency that took me away from answering anything for awhile nothing serious just something at school that had to be handled. Forthewall I'm sitting here right now trying to remember how to check my PM I hope to figure it out in a minute or two its been so long since I checked it I forgot how. Lucky Strike looks and sounds good to me as well as several others kind of waying options now that I've got a little time. Now if I can just remember how to check my PM I'll get back to you FTW.

I figured it out sent you a PM FTW. Thanks again to all Merry Christmas. I'll post pictures if we have any success.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom