gila national forest backpacking

V

victorio (Guest)

Any New Mexico hunters and outdoorsman know if there is a trail that leads to the source of the Gila River in the mountains of the Gila National Forest? Would the trail be too snowed over during the second week in March? Got any links or book recommendations? Thanks!!!

I believe the source of the Gila river is Snow lake. The area is usually snowed in this time of year. I don't think it will be snowed in this spring, unless we get alot more moisture.

If you go to gilawilderness.com they might have more information.

There are many trails leading to the gila river it just depends on where you want to access if from.

is snow lake even in the gila drainage? i always thought it drained into the frisco. the frisco eventually drains in to the gila below clifton. don't know for sure i guess, but that's what i always assumed. main drainage for the gila is the country in the middle of the gila range that funnels into there. there are several very large creeks that run a lot of water into the gila. mogollon, sacaton, the mimbres, to name a few. there are a lot of very well established trails in the gila wilderness that have trailheads all around it. some years march might be a bit early to try and get through on some of the higher passes, but so far this year it doesn't look like there is going to be enough snow to shut it down. if you see a couple of old fools on mules trailin' some hounds, wave at us. go the the 74 mt. trail head and take off. you can tramp all over the place from there.

victorio, crazy is correct. i looked at a map, snow lake is on the middle fork of the upper gila. i've ridden all over that country and always assumed that snow lake ran into the frisco. i guess because it is sort of on the frisco side or the mountain. and the mimbres doesn't even run into the gila. it runs into the rio grande. so much for my trailblazin'. but the trail that goes up the south side of the 74 will take you into the heart of the wilderness. i know that for dern sure. drop off into bud's hole and climb out on lookout on the other side, or head over to the baldys. trails all over the place. good ones too. have fun. it'll be cold in march.

RLH,

I beleve Mogollon creek & Rain creek are around the 74 & Buds hole area (just a ways west anyway). Went there 25 years ago, been 16 or so miles in and experianced some AWSOME wilderness. It will be cold at times in July to if I recall...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom