Giants Baseball

sageadvice

Long Time Member
It's time, everybody is in Camp, i can't wait for the games to begin. Just a note to those who don't like Baseball or don't like Baseball right here on this Hunting Forum. There is plenty of room for one more thread. Nobody is stopping you from posting up hunting stuff, in fact, i along with the others who participate here encourage it. If you don't want to read about this stuff, don't click on it, period. :)

I really like just how this season is shaping up for our team. We have a solid group, let me go down the line-up and i'll give my thoughts as to what might be expected of them and maybe how i'd like to see them contribute to this years Team.

Catcher: Buster had a off year last season. He didn't admit to wearing down toward the end there but he did. His Power #'s were way down with only 15 dingers and 72 RBI's but that is still very respectable, especially for a Catcher in today's game. He worked out during the off season, supposed to have brought in a extra 10 pounds of muscle. I've been calling for this from him, i look for a bounce back season from Posey, .310 25 102 RBIs

First: Brandon Belt proved himself this past season and was among the team leaders in all the power numbers at season's end. He did this arguably within the second half of the year, once he finally figure out just how one is supposed to hold a baseball bat. Because of what i have believed to be a lack of Baseball smarts, he didn't know the correct way to hold a bat, i've not been his biggest fan. I do though, believe that his marked improvement can and will carry over to a fresh start this year. Belt will be one of the best all around first basemen in the league this year!

Second base: Could be our weakest position but if Marco Scutaro stays healthy, nothing to worry about. His age, his range, and the fact that he has hurts in several areas, does concern me some. His possible replacements so far have yet to prove themselves as Championship type second basemen. If Marco can produce .280 4 and 50, we're in good shape from him. His big side is that the man is fearless and super clutch when called on for the game winning hit.

Third Base: Pablo, The guy lost over 30 pounds this off season and that is great news for us Giant fans!! A healthy Sandoval is a healthy Giants team. Nobody on the team has the ability at the plate to produce as he can. I look for solid defense on the corner, good numbers at the plate, and probably a All Star appearance for him, this his CONTRACT YEAR. .300 30 105

Shortstop: Brandon Crawford only hit .248 8 43 last year. Still, that was a improvement. His glove and arm are so important to this team. I believe his numbers at the plate will improve. look for .267 12 54 No worries about this guy, Gamer!!

Left Field: Morris, Quite possibly the most under the radar pick up among the whole league. A beast in a uniform, possibly a 40 HR guy!! G. Blanco, Solid defense, a good guy to have on the team. As of now, we are solid in left field IMO, just need to keep Morris healthy!

Center: Pagan makes us go. I really like this guy. Yes, he's getting older and soon might be best played at a corner position but he's good to go for at least this Season. Pagan is not the perfect lead off hitter but he's close. One detraction not mentioned often is i believe that he's a bit streaky. If and when he gets hot though, he'll rack up the hits and runs, the Giants will rack up the Wins. 290 12 60

Right Field: Hunter Pence! Probably voted least likely to be playing pro baseball but we'll take em! He's hard to watch sometimes but he's the ultimate gamer. Solid both at the plate and in the field, Hunter just needs to watch for good pitches for him to hit and let that low and outside stuff, they like to throw him, go on by.

Pitchers: Cain, Bum, Hudson, Timmy, and Vogelsong. Time will tell! Our big question mark is just how well these guys can do this Season. The potential is there!

The Pen: Better than given credit for. If our starters can average 6-7 innings per game, our Pen will do the rest!

So, i feel we are solid, a Championship type team in the making. There are other good teams in our division but we beat them heads up last year and with what i feel is a improved team this year, no reason we can't beat them again. We just need to be concerned with how well we play and jell as a team, let the rest of it take care of itself.

Go Giants!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

JOE..... THANKS FOR THE POSITION BY POSITION RUN DOWN, I AGREE WITH MOST OF YOUR STUFF. ITS GOING TO BE A GREAT SEASON I BELIEVE, WITH THE NEW PITCHING WE HAVE.......GO....GIANTS !!!!

AND........BOSOX.... "WORLD SERIES CHAMPS".............YD.

OH........THESE DODGERS ARE REALLY STARTING TO CONCERN ME A LOT. THEY TOO HAVE A COUPLE NEW (IMPACT PLAYERS), AND THE MOMENTUM, AND THEY ARE ALSO HEALTHY IT LOOKS LIKE. OUR BOYS NEED TO PLAY THEM REAL HARD........GO GIANTS !!!!..........YD.

Well done Joey. I think you're spot on with your assessment. Our offensive line up is good from #1 to #8.

If we can get Cain back to his usual form (I think I read that he had 15 starts last year with either a no decision or a loss) and Timmy back to form (the kid is bullet proof physically, his mechanics and mental game were just a touch off last year) I think we'll compete in this tough division.

We'll drag Hudson along like we did Zito, if we have to.:)

If we can hang at or near the top, I like our chances going down the stretch.

Eel

I believe the key will be for all the starters to stay healthy. If they do, watch out.

I'm really looking forward to seeing when Andrew Susac and Martin Agosta get to the big club. I coached both of them in summer ball through their high school years, both great players then and solid prospects now. And off the field, two of the finest young men I've ever had on my teams. They're both top prospects in the minor league system so it shouldn't be long before we see them, perhaps another year or two.

What do you think Larrbo? We got a chance?

Lots of Giants fans here, come on guys, looking forward to baseball?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Sage, I still have jet lag from the trip. When we were in Rome last week they built a pavilion in the square next to our hotel to hold a big World Cup event and they were displaying the trophy inside for people to see. I guess that's a big deal over there but I didn't go in to look. Soccer is number 58 on a list of 57 for me.

So after my jet lag wears off in a couple of days I will post what I think will happen this season. Sage, you did a very good job of breaking it down. Not sure I can poke any holes in it.

Go Giant's

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-14 AT 08:58AM (MST)[p]Well here we go. The good news it that it's an even numbered year....that gives the Giant's an edge. But they will need to stay healthy and come together as a team. Here is my starting lineup and what kind of year I think each will have.

CF- Pagan .290, 12 HR, 25 SB
2B- Marcos .265, 49 RBI
RF- Pence .298, 30 HR, 106 RBI
C- Buster .315, 22 HR, 102 RBI
LF- Morris .250, 25 HR, 85 RBI
3B- Panda .310, 18 HR, 80 RBI
1B- Belt .260, 15 HR, 70 RBI
SS- Crawford .235, 8 HR, 40 RBI
SP Opening Day- Cain, 18-10, 3.15 ERA, 215 IP

Rotation:
Timmy, 12-11, 4.25 ERA
MadBum, 20-9, 2.98 ERA, 225 K
Vogey, 6-9, 4.50 ERA
Hudson, 12-8, 3.75 ERA

Giant's record: 97-65
Dodger's record: 96-66

With this lineup everyday I think the Giant's will give the Dodgers a run this year. If they stay healthy the season should come down to the final week. Go Giant's.

WOW LARRBO.........SOME NUMBERS !!! I TEND TO BE A REALIST, WITH SOME OF THE THIN NUMBERS YOU PUT UP I HOPE WE CAN FINNISH A GAME AHEAD OF THE DODGERS. THE INJURY BUG COULD BE A FACTOR WITH A TEAM THATS NOT REALLY DEEP IN TALENT ON THE BENCH. BUT THEN AGAIN THE LA BOYS HAVE HAD THEIR INJURY PROBLEMS AS WELL. HOPE YOUR ON THE $$$$$........GO GIANTS......................YD.

LOVE TO SEE THE GIANTS VS. BOSOX IN THE WORLD SERIES !!!!

Larrbo, Thinking you might be low on BB"s HR and Avg. If his 2nd half, "I figured it out," "my new bat grip" stats hold true for a full season, plus his 3rd full season, I'm thinking 26-30 hrs, 90-100 rbis with a .290-300 avg. He just needs to have the guys on base in front of him AND someone behind him to protect him.

Your numbers for Buster are top flight. If he does that, and the Giants get in the playoffs, he's up for another MVP.

Eel, yeah, Bochy is a players Coach, a guy a player, mpst players, likes to play for. You never hear of guys being unhappy or pissed off because they were on the bench without explanation. Bochy is right up front with the guys kinda guy, once you know that he has a tendency to go with the veteran players, he's fair with the guys and that's appreciated.

On the other hand, there have been a few guys who must have somehow got on Bochy's $hit list. Not a good place to be. They either played very little or were soon outa here, down the road, and good luck but catcha later! I believe a decent amount of this may have flown under the radar, as it should have.

Not too long ago, a favorable destination for any MLB player was not going to be the San Francisco venue. For various reasons, Guys didn't want, care, or choose to play any part of their carriers here in SF. That has changed a bunch! Now, seems it's only the guys that seem to put up decent power numbers in the smaller ball parks that don't care to come here. A guy that features marginal power numbers from a smaller park on the back of his Baseball Card, wants to stay where he's at or be traded to a even smaller park, not come to where many of his HR's in other parks would just be long fly ball outs in SF!

Yeah, we have a lot going for our Team this year. Steve is very correct, Bochy is one of the very best, we're lucky to have him, and certainly any rundown of the Teams lists, projecting numbers, giving explanation of a guys talents, would not be complete without mention of our top of the line caliber Manager!

Larrbo, i can see your numbers being very close. We can only give our opinions and destiny will set the actual nimbers as the season goes on.

Slayer, welcome aboard! I too am hoping Belt has a very good year. "if"...

Joey

INTERESTING........SPORTING NEWS BASEBALL RANKINGS.

1........DODGERS
2........RANGERS
3........TIGERS
4........CARDINALS
5........REDSOX
6........NATIONALS
7........GIANTS
8........YANKS
9........PIRATES
10.......ROYALS

PLAY BALL !!!!

It wasn't that many years ago that I would have been thrilled to have the Giants ranked at #7 at the start.

PLAY BALL!

My only problem with that list is @ the top.

Kemp is suffering and Greinke has arm issues. Puig is going to have the sophomore jinx. Hanley NEVER plays an entire season.

But Kershaw is such a stud!!!!

I never liked the Yankees when they were buying Championships. Now that the dreaded Dodgers are trying to do it I have even a bigger problem with it.

It's early but our starting pitchers look to be in mid season form.

GO GIANTS!!!!!!

SLAYER.........I HEAR YA !!!! THE DODGERS ARE THE OLD YANKEES WHEN IT COMES TO BUYING WS CHAMPIONSHIPS. BUT.....NO TEAM HAS HAD IT BACKFIRE ON THEM LIKE THE YANKS HAVE. THEY HAVE PAID BILLIONS OF DOLLARS ON CHAMPIONSHIPS THEY DID NOT WIN = BAD PLAYER CHOICES. ............YD.

Here, Posey finally had enough missed calls from this ump!!

lincy_face_8yo4z8ge.gif

Joey

Today, Sat, Giants game is on TV regular giants channel, noon PT i believe.

Eel, you like my little video above? i must be a sadest in some way as when i saw that clip, i couldn't stop laughing out loud!! There's umps i feel need a good shot to the nuts once in awhile! :)

Joey

Joey, One of the very best videos I've ever seen. I could watch that for hours. Thanks for posting.

Timmy's "cringe" look is priceless.

Slayer, thanks Bud! I didn't think that i'd be the only one to find that hilarious.

I'm looking forward to the game in a few minutes. It's been a long off season!

Joey

You read right Eel, the season has started. The Dodger's also placed Kemp and Burkett on the DL today. Bummer.

Yep, the bad news is the Dodgers now have a 2 game lead over us in our division. The good news is that we are in second place, two games ahead of Arizona. :)

Joey

Should be one game each way, behind the Dodgers, one ahead of the Diamondbacks???

But we aren't behind them in the loss column.

Can't wait to get this thing started.

Maybe Slayer, was just joking around anyway. let's see, the Dodgers are 2-0, we are 0-0, Az is 0-2. To me, that's 2 games behind and two games ahead but i think it's a bit early to be eyeballing them standings anyway. lol

I see where the Panda's agent is asking for a 90 million 5 yr contract. When a guy plays baseball for millions of dollars a year and can't show up to camp in top shape, i'm not feeling sorry for him if they only offer half that for half as long. The guy is a gamer when he plays but he's not showed me he can play a full season without getting hurt.

Joey

With the offer to Sandoval I believe that's the first step towards seeing #28 playing third base.

Honestly it feels as though they have positioned themselves to keep either belt or Pablo no way they keep both past this year as Posey is taking a corner job very soon.

Me personally you all will think I'm crazy but I would put him in left field.

mitis, left field crazy?? I posted a couple of years ago I'd put him @ 2B.

He played SS in college, at a high level. Get him out of the squat for awhile and he's quick enough, with a Ryne Sanberg, Jeff Kent type of bat.

The Panda is not a professional. More potential and talent than most but not taking advantage of it.

I'm a Belt fan but he frustrates me too. I guess I got spoiled watching Barry NEVER miss a mistake pitch. Belt fouls them off all of the time.

Was kool having Barry back for 1 week this spring.

Final roster:

Rotation (5): Madison Bumgarner, Matt Cain, Tim Hudson, Tim Lincecum, Ryan Vogelsong

Bullpen (7): Sergio Romo, Javier Lopez, Santiago Casilla, Yusmeiro Petit, David Huff, Jean Machi, Juan Gutierrez.

Catchers (2): Buster Posey, Hector Sanchez.

Infielders (6): Brandon Belt, Joaquin Arias, Brandon Crawford, Pablo Sandoval, Brandon Hicks, Ehire Adrianza.

Outfielders (5): Angel Pagan, Hunter Pence, Michael Morse, Gregor Blanco, Juan Perez.

Thanks Larrbo! Right now, i'm most concerned about our pitching both starters and the Pen. There is good potential there, i just hope that they can pitch up to that potential or possibly over achieve. Right now, all i can do is wait and see how the Boys do.

Go Giants!!

BTW, We've been getting some pretty decent late storms coming thru this area. Been snowing, hailing, and raining these past few days. We needed it, this and more, but at least it's coming down now.

Joey

I'm pretty sure I've never seen anything as strange as Goldschmidt's ownership of Lincecum. If Goldy comes up with the bases loaded, I hope Boch has Timmy walk him intentionally.

CA, yeah, me too. Never seen anything anywhere like it, ever!

Hey guys, this was pretty much meant to be the spring training, start of the year blog. Larrbo's thread, "SF Giant's 2014" is the more current, regular season thread. No since in having two threads going so how about let's post on Larrbo's from now on.

Joey

12 and 10. We haven't got both good pitching and good hitting at the same time yet.

They've held their own against the $240,000,000.00 Dodgers so far, and that is what's inportant.

The league leading homer king isn't impressing me much. Leaves too many runners on base. I'm a Brandon Belt fan BUT quit fouling off those meat ptiches and start doing some damage.

PANDA, WAKE THE FRICK UP!!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom