Getting Stuck!!

sageadvice

Long Time Member
I got one buddy who just has to go out too early and get his truck stuck! He then calls me, like yesterday, to come get his rig out. I don't mind because he's a good friend but it's hard as all get out on my ol rig to not only get to where he is but then to jerk him off his high center in the snow drifts that he is usually sunk down in on top of.

What in the world is a guy thinking to go where he's probably/surely going to get stuck? I've asked him every time i have to help him but he says he doesn't know, has no answer!

Do you guys have friends like that?

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

You Ain't never been Stuck until You've been Stuck with the ole cat!

I remember a few 6-8 Hour Stuck Hole Incidents!

But the Good ones lasted in to a few days!

One Incident We had 8 Four Wheel Drive Pick-ups Stuck/Buried in a Farmers Field,He was not Happy!

Back in the Day of Running 4 Tire Chains Custom built out of Heavy Semi Truck Chains You'd Best have your Chit together to even get to where I was Stuck!:D

GAWD what I'd of gave for a Good Winch & Something to Hook it too!:D

After Having a Snow Eatin Machine (Truck!) and Driving it for many Years it's hard to go Off Roading in any of these Newer Worthless Trucks of today!

I need your Phone Number sage!:D

You just might get a Service Call out of me!:D

We can Skin a Buck,We can run a Trout Line, and a Country Boy Can Survive!

Bess, Sounds like you been stuck like i never been stuck and i'm glad of it! 8 rigs? like to have seen that thru my spotter! :)

I got my rig stuck too yesterday but at least i could dig my way out, get him off that snow pile, and then get the heck outa there. Him? he was toast without help! Them Nitto Trail grapplers dig and throw some snow!!

Smitty, i hear you! If he weren't such a good buddy... but it's way past getting old.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

It's rather simple. He knows you will pull him out.

2311idiot.jpg

Maybe yes, maybe no, but i hear you. I'm a enabler! lol

He never calls and leaves a message to come get him. I may spend more time at my desk than i'd like to but i do have to be out and about to make a living. No cell phone here, don't want one.

Maybe he cruises by first, to see that i'm home, before he goes out and makes a idiot of himself... and then me!

Joey

My question to you Sage is, How many times does this friend call to say " Hey bud I'v got a cold case just sittin here next to this BBQ with the big steaks on with your name on it. " If you get calls from him like that then what the heck pull him out. If it never happens then you say " Dang I'd love to help ya out bud but I have to take a Friend of mine to a BBQ.

I never been stuck. I have been detained in the mud for a couple days but never stuck. Then I tried to pull a Bessy. I had a highboy Ford tricked out to the max. Chained up all the way around with cut down semi chains. Winch and the works.
It was Opening night of the General Deer Season back in the day. It snowed that night about a foot. The wind had been howling all night. In the morning we head down a two rut and come to this pretty steep hill. Well there was about 12 trucks, jeeps and all kinds of hunting rigs takeing turns at the hill trying to bust through a 3-4 foot deep drift.
I had pulled over and was just watching the crazys. Well this joker came walking up to me and I rolled my window down. He was drinking beer and said to me I hope your not going to try that hill like the rest of them idiots, no way your truck would make it any way. Damn that pissed me off. I said watch this dork. I took off and busted through the drift. Man was I riding high. The only other to make it through the drift for 4 days was a dune buggy with paddle tires. I went about 10 miles back in and on the way back out I broke an axle!! Couldn't make it back out. Ended up dragging my chains out to my buddy so he could put them on his truck to bring me parts. Took me two days. It is nice to have buddies like Sage if they can get to where your stuck.
Rutnbuck

Somebody probably said something like... ahh, you wouldn't make it anyway, or Bet your pansy ass truck won't get through that....

Just saying, I have had to prove people wrong many times in those situations...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Rutn, Good story and...thanks!!

mntman, Don't yeah just love it when someone says that "you Can't"?
Maybe that's what's going thru my buddy's head! His alter ego is talking to him...or the Devil made him do it! :)

Stonefly, Actually, he has called me over for steaks but besides being friends, about 20 years now, he works for me when i need another guy. I run my own show as a plumbing Contr., i'm it. Sometimes i need another guy though and he's a master craftsman in a couple other trades. I pay him exceedingly well to help me on certain jobs and he earns whatever i pay him, usually with a bonus thrown in, and he always does a heck of a job. I guess you could say that we depend on each other.

Wouldn't be nearly so bad if it weren't at least once a year the last 5-6 years or so. That, and the stupid places he gets stuck. Nobody short of on a ski sled ought to be in there but he has to push it and go in way too early! Me, i take one look at the first drifts and say "screw that!" lol

Joey

One of my old friends is the "go to guy" when you get stuck, especially if you're stuck on the beach. He lives close to the beach and he has his Ford built up like a tow truck.

I was visiting him one day and he got a call to help some guy stuck in tide water. We drove down to see this old Scout buried in the sand with the tide comming in. The guy was in a world of hurt. To make a long story short, my friend pulled the rear axel right out from under it, brake lines and all. As far as I know it's still there.

Eel

My present hunting buddy is or was like that every time we went hunting. He would go to extremes I think to get stuck and get me pissed off....lol

He still tries to take a chance and I tell him if he gets stuck he is on his own to get the friggin diesel out.

And if I have to I will take a BUS home to Kali and pack the bags on bus too....told him that is for kids to get stuck use your head and he won't get stuck.

Now his wife tells him the same thing and listen to Brian.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Back in the Good Days of Lion Huntin We'd Bust Trails everywhere on the South Slope with Our Sleds!

After Packin all the Roads down for Weeks/Months there was always a Toyota or two that thought it was Cool to go back in on top of Our Snomobile Tracks!

Toyotas are Light,along with some Wide Tires they could stay up on top of Our Sled Trails!

Well,until they got back in several miles & Fell through or decided to try & turn around!

Then they were done,lots of times the Snow was 3 to 6 feet Deep & they thought they were Cool!

Seen several Toyotas Spend the Winter/Spring/Months up there because nobody could get to them!

But Damn wasn't that Fun!:D

When I moved out to South Central Idaho, (where trees are scarce), I was told to go get some old ford rear end axle shafts at a junk yard. $20.00 bucks got me 2, with the wrecking yard actually pulling them for me. I get stuck once a year with my crew cab, and I am nervous everytime I pound one into the ground and hook my winch to it. Never ever would of thought it would work, but has never failed. Best $20.00 I have ever spent.

I wish I had pics of all the different rigs my little stock 70hp Jeep had pulled out of mud, snow, ruts, rivers, sand and rocks..

One thing I learned with having a winch is that you don't get stuck that often...But when you do, you are STUCK!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Thanks guys! This seems like a pretty good thread and i'd like to hear more stories about getting stuck, getting unstuck, the long walk out, or like Kilo, what you threatened your friend with if he gets you stuck. lol

Great topic, lets hear some more!! Thanks again...

Joey

The Walk-Outs!

JUDAS!

Ain't forgot a few of them!!!

I took the PISSCUTTIN Rig up where I should not have!

Got Her Nice & Stuck!

Reached in the Back for my Shovel!

Well,it Ain't there!

JFP!

So I built a wanna-be Shovel out of a Limb off a nearby Pine Tree!

Finally got out of the Stuck Hole!

Next Day We decided UTV's would be the way!

Get up there & exactly in the same Stuck Hole are two Guys From Tabiona in a Full Size Rig,never made it an inch further than PISSCUTTER did!

Funny Part was they were using my Home Made Shovel too!:D

They were Pissed!

Said:I don't know Who's Tracks We're following but they've Ripped this Road to Pieces!:D

I didn't know you could Hurt Snow but these Boys were not Happy Campers!

Words of Warning. Anytime your buddy says things like. Oh it will be ok, or It don't look that bad, or We can make it, how about it is not that muddy! Better yet let me drive!! Are all words of your screwed don't do it.

Rutnbuck

My best "stuck" wouldn't have been stuck at all if not for STUPID PEOPLE TRICKS! Years ago, went out alone in 2wd truck to cut a load of wood. Snow got too deep, so I thought I'd just back around, and get outta there. Oops! Off the road edge...no problem, got my hi-lift jack, shovel, chains. WHAT?! I'd been cutting for most of the morning, where was my shovel, jack and chains?...DUH! Right against the fence where I'd forgotten to load them! Well, I'd just walk to a ranch where I'd get my friend to come help...5 miles up, no one home, walked back 5 miles to another ranch...no one around...well, some daylight left; start walking the road...someone will surely come along...well after dark, snow started whipping around, could hardly breathe, the bandana across my face was crusting from frozen breath, I had to keep tweaking my eyes as they kept icing closed! To this day, I imagined some spotlighters hunting rabbits..."OVER HERE! OVER HERE! After a few minutes, I realized there was nothing there!A few hours after dark, here came my wife with our two toddlers through drifting snow driving our little ol' Datsun green japanese sardine can!She was horrified by the way I looked, kinda like some abominable snowman...and was afraid to let me in the car!Thawed some on the way home! The next day, went up in the car, WITH the right equipment, jacked the truck up, chained it up, and drove out first try. All totalled I'd wasted/used a lot of enegy and time, and I'd hiked about 20 miles, and still had about 12 more from where my wife had picked me up!Turned out ok, but coulda been a lot more go wrong on that one! :)

lol, good stuff guys!

I was with a guy, catfishing, in the spring down by the Dam on our local lake here. It was a bit of a slope headed down to the lake shore but it flattened out some right before the shore and was a good spot to fish. We caught our share that evening into the night by lantern but then it got really good as it had started to rain. We kept fishing and catching them fast as we could re-bait, it kept on raining...

Finally, my buddy decides that we had best get on out of there so i watch as he tries to make the little pull to get back up on the blacktop. Didn't happen! His VW bug kept spinning the tires but he kept sliding backwards, even with me pushing, until he finally swam out the rig as his headlights were going down deeper and deeper into the lake's depths. He sunk his rig!

We hitched a ride back to town and went back the next day with all the gear and help to get his bug back up on dry land. That was getting stuck! :)

Joey

Years (lots) ago I took a county road that went through a friends property that I had permission to hunt. It had been slushing (mid-oct Elk hunt) I saw that that the county has recently sent a patrol (road grader) down the road so I wasn't worried about a little water on the low spots. UNTIL i sunk all four of the F250 with mud tires past the hubs. I walked down the road and ran into my friend who was gathering cattle. He laughed and said holy $#!+ sounds like you're stuck in the same hole as the county patrol got stuck in yesterday. They had to get him out with a cat. 2 days later and a hard freeze I was able to retrieve the truck with a front end loader. To this day when ever I see him he has a big grin and I know what he is thinking.

I was 8 or 9 yrs old and my dad had a 90 Dodge 3/4 ton. I loved riding in the bucket seats!

We were up on Monte Cristo for the second weekend of the deer hunt hitting some switchbacks on our way home. By Dad is the kind of guy that uses 4WD only when he REALLY needs it (which is usually too late)

Some of the dirt road was covered in about 1-2 ft of snow and some of it was dry and other parts were muddy as crap.

My dad had just busted through some drifts and mud in 4WD and immediately put her back in 2WD. We hit an outside corner turning back up the hill and when he turned the wheel the truck did not turn but instead went straight off the downhill side on a probably 30 degree lean.

I remember opening my door only to have gravity rip it out of my hand and then I sunk up to my hips in snow praying that the truck wasn't going to roll on top of me.

My dad had hit a chunk of black ice on that corner that threw us off the side.

The nearest tree was a nylon rope, tarp and come-along away hooked to the rear bumper.

My job was to crank that old come-along until I heard a loud CRACK!! and then felt my hand start to burn! I looked down only to see that the crappy nylon rope had snapped and removed about a 2" path of skin from the top of my hand while breaking it at the same time.

My dad took one look at it and says "you'll be fine"

Lucky for us some little puzzy Toyota came and pulled us out.

My dad never was one to prep for anything.

A couple years ago hunting the 3rd season in Colorado. We were following a two track that I had been on many times but there was about 8 inches of snow. Came around a corner and went to cross the creek but I miss judged the cross and dropped into a bog. Spent three days shovling, jacking, cussing, etc. Had a guy try to pull me out with his 1 ton 4wd with all four tires chained up, didn't even budge my truck. Finally got a local with a small dozer to come up and pull me out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom