Getting sheep horns off

Cut between the sheath and the core as deeply as you can get a knife, put them in a plastic bag for a few days, room temp, remove from the bag and drop them on the cement floor. The sheaths should pop off.

The bag will keep the horns moist and allow them to "rot" inside so they can be removed for thorough cleaning and bleaching and re-attached with glue. Be sure to clean the inside of the sheaths too, not just the outside of the cores.

If this doesn't work, call a taxidermist!

Zeke

These suckers are being stubborn Zeke. Other horns popped off easily, but these have hit the ground so many times the teeth are cracking, but they aint budging.

Yelum

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-11 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]Sounds like the core has dried on you.
If they were mine, I would drill a 1/16th hole into the back of each horn (to let the moisture into the core and release the sheaths), submerge for 2 days, then repeat the sweat process. They should pop off with ease after this.

Once off, clean then borax the inside of the horn sheaths then allow to comepletely dry, clean the skull either via beetles or boiling (I prefer beetles), then afix your horns back onto the horn cores after you have the skull cleaned and whitened to your preference.

As for the tiny holes in the sheaths, a tiny amount of sculpt-all with a tad of texture and coloring will fix it in less than 5 minutes. No one will ever see it. This will be done after the horns have been re-attached to the skull.

Whatever you do, DO NOT BOIL THE SKULL WITH THE HORNS ATTACHED!! It will stain the horns forever.

I hope this helps.

------------------
DRSS

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-11 AT 02:49PM (MST)[p]Yellum,
I had to keep mine in a bag for quiet a while before the inside started to smell (rot). Also, keeping them warm enough if they are not inside, might also be part of the hang up. Ditto on boiling! But you probably already knew that.
Anyway, good luck.

Thanks guys. he's ran a filet knive up under the horn and even soaked it. Don't know if he's bagged it. We'll keep trying.

Yelum

Hey YELUM?
She's surely gettin that thing mounted ain't she?

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

It may take 20 days or so, but they will pop off. DO NOT BOIL THEM.

Keep a black garbage sack wrapped around them.

If you need more advise or help ring Paul Penne.

good luck

Yelum,

The best way to get the horns off is to wet paper towels so they are damp with water not dripping. Then put them around the skull by the bases but not on the horns or they will dis-color the bases. Tape the paper towels there and put in a plastic bag for several weeks so damp paper towels help the rotting process. Once you open the bag lift horns over your head and slam them on you garage floor. Hope you get them off. I have used this process on all my sheep.

3QtrSlamRam

Why do you want to throw them on the ground? Why not just wait another day and slide them off?

Skull Designs: Quality European Mounts at affordable prices

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-11 AT 04:47PM (MST)[p]well...i am happy to say i just got my horns to pop off....in hind sight i should have done them when they were fresh, just liked to handle them a couple times a day...i soaked/submerged them for about a week in a pot of water, drilled a hole or 2 in them and double bagged them and put them in a warm spot for about 18 days or so.....they stunk up a storm when i opened the 2 bag.....dropped them on the cement from about waist level and the 1st one popped off on the 3rd drop....banged the other side about 10 times or so and the other side popped....now i just need to boil and they will be ready to mount. got my hide back yesterday so now i need to decide on my mount and it is game on...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom