Getting lost

D

driftersifter

Whats the worst or funniest got lost story you got. Mine have mostly been in the company of my brother and in a pickup. The worst was in Montana west of Fort Peck an area that was void of light from even a distant farm house. We had no idea which way was home and we were almost out of beer. Fortuneately we drove by a school house I recognized and we got home just before midnight.
Driftersifter

That would have sucked to run out of beer! Glad you saved yourself. LMAO :)

Went on a drop camp elk hunt in Colorado. Took my trusty GPS unit. Headed out well before sun up on first day. Marked camp. Double checked it. Took out for a day of spot and stalk hunting. never really paid much attention to where I was going. About an hour before dark I decided to hunt back to camp. Got out the trusty GPS. It would not turn on. Swaped out batteries. Still would not turn on. I had an idea where camp was but not tottaly sure. So I toped the highest peak near me and pulled out my motorola talk about distance radio and called for one of the guys in camp to fire off a round so I could get my bearings. They fired and it took every ounce of my hearing ability to make out the sound of the shot. I headed that way and made it back several hours after dark. At camp there was lots of beer waiting to be consumed.

"Thanks climate PhD 202" - TFinalshot Feb-05-08, 02:16 PM (MST)

Too many stories to list .
One was many years ago my first elk hunt in Az . Got loster than crap and it was close to dark. I paniced and just started running no particular direction just trying to find a landmark I cecognized before dark. We I ran across a herd of elk so I set up as they were heading toward me . I had a cow archery tag and pulled back the bow as the lead cow came within 30 yards let er fly. Made impact and they all took off . I knew I made a hit as the cow went about 50 yards and simply laid down . After I quit shaking (that took a while) I approached the downed cow and kicked a rock towards her.
Pleas note I was young and dumb. The rock hit her in the back she jumped up and ran right over me , stepped on me I still have the scar on my wrist from it. I had an arrow in my hand not on the bow string , it went flying up in the air and stuck in the ground next to my body.
Went walking after that until I hit a road , a very long walk. Found my way back to the spot the next day and searched the whole day and never found more blood only the saucer sized pool at the scene . I think I hit her in the brisket missed and arteries.

One year ago today, I drove to the edge of a wilderness area to do a little shed hunting. Backed my truck up to the edge of steep drop-off so that it would be out of the way of any passing vehicles. Should have been concerned when I tried to lock the truck up and the automatic locks didn't work, but it's an old beater and I just assumed they had worn out. Spent the next ten hours hiking up and down mountains, combing for elk sheds. Found eight with one nice matching brown set. Got back to my truck just after dark. Loaded in the sheds. Turned the key, and got no response whatsoever--battery was completely dead. Cell phone had been left in searching-for-service mode all day and was dead, and I could not re-charge it because the truck battery was dead. Could not push my truck up the hill to try to push start it, and could not back it up because of the aforementioned steep drop-off. The temperature had dropped below freezing, and I was dressed in only a light jacket. I had not intended to camp, and didn't have any way to make a fire or stay warm. Over the years I've displayed more than my share of stupidity, but I don't recall ever doing so many stupid things in such short succession.

I was already stiff and sore from hiking all day--figured I'd already put in at least ten or twelve miles. But the next day was the turkey opener, so I thought if I just stuck to the road, I'd probably pass a turkey hunter camp and be able to get some help. Started walking out at about 8:30 p.m. Walked for 15 miles. Didn?t see a camp or another vehicle until I was all the way off the mountain, and hiking along a paved road that runs through Pueblo land. Finally, at 1:30 in the morning, I saw headlights off in the distance coming toward me. My first thought was to hide because I was not completely comfortable with the idea of who might be driving out in the middle of nowhere at that time of the morning, but my feet (also cursed with flat feet) and legs were so sore that I just didn't have the energy. So I just stood there holding my flashlight and literally prayed that the occupant of the oncoming vehicle would either offer help or otherwise just leave me alone.

Seeing me, the vehicle quickly slowed and stopped about 20 yards short of pulling up along side, the driver?s side window cracked open, and a deep voice boomed: "What the hell are you doing?" He obviously wondered what kind of idiot would be wandering around in the middle of nowhere at 1:30 a.m. on a freezing morning. I explained my plight. Dude turned out to be the Lieutenant Governor of the Pueblo. He was on patrol that night because earlier that day there had been a fight between some of his tribe and members of a neighboring Pueblo. He allowed me to use his cell to call my wife, and then drove me 20 or so miles to the nearest gas station where she came and picked me up. Dude wouldn't accept any payment or anything, but turns out, we both share a common friend, so I'm hoping that I get a turkey this year, so that I can get my friend to take him the tail feathers.

Gave my buddy who drove me back up the next day and towed my truck out of there the matching set of browns. My truck? Turns out the wire that recharges the battery came loose while driving up that rocky road... ;-(

Southmountain, yours takes the cake. Getting run over by a cow elk and then almost getting hit by your own arrow is pretty funny.

I have more than my share of stupid things I have done as well.

At night, on foot, in the fog south of San Diego, while patroling the border. This was before GPS units were common and I didn't have a compass with me. Took a while to find a road, then had to walk the road for a while to figure out which road I was on. That stuff was thick!

Never was completly lost but we spent a week hunting in Wyoming and for some reason the sun was rising in the North for me. I knew better but I was 90 degrees off all week long.......

No funny stories, I was born w/ a serious disabilty that showed at the age of 12. This problem has only been compounded by Cornell at the local army surplus selling me a compass that has wrong end of the needle painted red. My father whom I miss dearly did not understand my disability preffered to hunt new places more often than not. These hunts always started hours before light, we never left the truck without flashlights. I always wished we could afford batteries. I have been two different places in the dark where creek's flowed up hill. (can't find these places in the light of day)
I have returned in the evening darkness on more than one trip to find not only has the moon's rotation of the earth left the truck in a new yet to be determined location but also caused the road to move as well.
A friend once killed a bull late in the evening that we boned & started to pack. this appeared to be an easy hour & a half trip downhill. As it got dark we seemed to have gotten off to the side of the ridge & decided to sidehill back to the ridge as the slope we were on was to dangerous. As sidehilling was not getting us back to the ridge, we decided we would have to climb until reaching the ridge. four hours into this pack we took the batteries from our radios & put them in our flashlights. At six & half hours we dropped the packs & flagged our way out. To tired to continue climbing for the ridge we found our way to the creek bottom, where we fought our way through the brush. One thirty a.m. all batteries dead we continue to push on. approx. two thiry we stumble on the road. The next day we went back to the kill sight & packed a load out 1 1/2 hours to the truck. We then followed the flags back to the meat we packed the night before & packed it out 3 hours. we had worked 6 1/2 hours to get the meat 1 1/2 hours further from the truck.
I once went in search of a mountian lake with five other guys on a nice sunday afternoon. after following them for about an hour it became obvious that they were going the hard way so I just quitely split & starte on my own. It was not long & I could see the lake 1/2 mile bellow, I quickened the pace hoping to beat them to the fish. It was not long & I was catching fish & had the whole lake to my self. At dark I started back on my own it was not until 1 a.m. when I arrived at the truck from my 8 mile journey that I had the chance to harrass them about thier inability to find the lake & they harrassed me about my inability to find the truck. (total distance lake to truck 1 1/4 mile)
I WISH WE HAD TIME TO TALK ABOUT SHORT ABOUT SHORT CUTS BUT THIS HAS BROUGHT BACK GOOD MEMORIES & HAS HELPED WITH MY DISSABILTY lost)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom