getting cape and horns home

marley

Very Active Member
My alaska sheep hunt is in 4 weeks and I am wondering how you guys have gotten your capes and horns home. Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I used a taxidermist in Alaska and they crated and shipped when it was complete. Shipping adds to your cost...but its easier, more convenient and those taxidermist know their dall sheep.

Good luck...

I carried the horns on the plane in a duffle bag. The hide and meat were checked baggage in an ice chest. I had my gear loaded in the ice chest on the flight up to eliminate the extra bag fees.

Buy a cooler with wheels and a long handle so you can drag it around the airport easily. Make sure your cape is frozen solid before you check in. Keep a few steaks and give the rest of the meat away unless you really want to bring the meat home. Sheep meat can be some excellent grub but the extra cost of a 3rd bag (your cooler) and the overweight charge can be substantial. Fifty lbs. is the weight limit. Your cooler and and cape already take up 20 lbs or so. Put the skull cap and horns in your duffle bag. If you're gonna ship any thing home because of weight or space constraints, ship your clothing. Buy a double gun hard case and pack your binocs and that kind of stuff in with your gun to save on weight in your duffle bag.

I can't imagine leaving my sheep cape and horns with a stranger thousands of miles from home and trusting him to properly ship them to me so I wouldn't use a taxidermist.

Good Luck!

I would talk to your taxidermist. If he likes using them, Alpha Fur Tannery is right there in Anchorage, 10 minutes from the airport. They can tan your cape, and ship it directly to your taxidermist.

All good advice and all will work - having the cape tanned in anchorage is a good idea.

I had no problems leaving my cape and horns in anchorage with a reputable taxidermist. He does a lot of sheep and the vast majority are 'shipped out.' Cost a little more (because of shipping)...but was convenient, I got all the meat home and was very happy with the finished product.

To save money and get your trophy home, I ship my gun to myself (legal to do so) in a locked hardcase from AK and ship your backpack as well, wrap the cape up into a small bundle and then wrap it inside the horns of the sheep and then freeze the whole thing. The horns hold a lot of cold for the trip. Once hard frozen, stuff into a duffle bag and carry that onto the plane. Freeze the loins and hinds, five the fronts/neck to someone (almost anyone will take dall meat),catch a few fish and freeze that as well and put all in a waxed shipping box. Put your other clothing in the shipping box as well and head back to the lower 48. You will only have one checked bag, your trophy will not get lost and you will pay about $100 to ship your gun and backpack via FedX. Cheaper than excess baggage and you get to keep the great eats of a sheep and ensure that your trophy makes it home. Your cape will just be thawing on a normal trip down to the lower 48. I have never had a problem with FedX-they handle your stuff way better than the airlines do.
Good Luck,
WyMo

The airlines will let you carry the horns on the plane with you? If so, that is good news. I was worried about lost luggage coming home.

The airlines will let you carry on the horns. Clean them up good and freeze them. You will have no problems.

4a578a65157501fa.jpg

Marley,

First off, congrats on your upcoming hunt. I agree with what what one dude said. Way too quite on the board about sheep hunting. WE NEED SOME SHEEP ACTION !!!!!!!!!

Ok, here is what I did in 07 flying out of Fairbanks. I salted my cape well, and rolled it in a plastic bag. I puit that, and the horns in a Rubbermaid tote I bought at Walmart. I also put some other things in it to get the weight at 50lbs.

I have heard of guys carring their horns on, but I doubt my horns would fit under the seat. Granted they were no huge set, 38x13.5, but big enough to cause a possible problem.

Take lots of pictures, and have a great hunt ! Looking forward to the story upon your return.

Double check with your airline about carrying the horns with you first. Delta/(NWA) no longer allows elk, deer racks etc. unless they are in a crate. They started this new rule this past winter. We've also carried mtn. goat horns on the plane from AK before but that was a long time ago.

Last year I carried my horns and cape onto the plane and they fit in the overhead compartment.
My horns were pretty big and they still fit. The cape was still frozen in the middle when I got home.
Check with the airlines, but Delta didn't say a word. The TSA guys looked at me a little odd, but I bet they see lots of odd things traveling back from Alaska.
Good luck on your hunt, it will probably be the best hunt of your life (every sheep hunt should fit that description).
WyMo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom