Getting blood out of pack

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
So I was lucky enough to pack out a nice buck last weekend. Now my Eberlestock has a nice amount of blood in it. I have a front load washer, do I just throw it in?

Wanted real life experiences.

Packed out my son's whitetail last Nov and then spent too much time trying to just soak it out in my wife's big tub(Shhhhh...don't tell) which didn't work that well.

I'd rinse it out as bast I could with the garden hose and call it good. Faint blood stains on hunting gear isn't all that bad.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Don't put it in the washer. Take it to a power spray car wash and spray it out really well. It will get to stinking if you leave much.

.If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

I know this closing the barn after the horse is out, but I use a waterproof bag for packing out meat. Cabela's has them and you can find them at Walmart sometimes. The bag is designed to keep the contents dry when rafting but it works great to keep the blood off your pack. I place my meat in game bags after its cooled down, then slip the game bag into the waterproof bag. I use a Kifaru pack with a freighter seat so I just lash the waterproof bag to the freighter. I have slipped the bag into my pack when I was packing out a mule deer and had my wife carry the stuff that was in my pack a couple of times as well. They cost about $12 and take about the same space as an empty Platypus hydration bottle. I have used this system for a good number of animals and the same pack for 11 years. Trying to wash blood out every time you kill something is going to just keep adding to the blood smell that never really comes out completely. I would use some Simple Green, then rinse the begeebers out of it and hang it outside to dry to try and cut the odor.

Thanks guys. I will take it to a car wash on the way to my hunt tomorrow, it is one of the few with hot water. I had heavy trash bags with me, but hear all the time never to put fresh meat into anything that won't breath until it is completely cooled.

I've heard that too but I've been putting quarters in a garbage bag then in my pack for years and never seen anything bad come from it.

....If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

I use game bags with garbage bags on the outside for the pack out. Once I get to the truck I pull the meat out and if its a cool day I hang the meat for a few hours and have a ?cold one?. If it hot outside I usually have ice waiting at the truck to cool the meat.
The pet store sells the ?cat piss smell remover? that will help remove the smell of the blood too. Sorry I can't remember the name of the ?cat piss smell remover?.

P.S. I am not a pro at hunting, I just love to hunt...

badlands told me to soak mine in the tub with the scent free detergant. I usually rinse it out 1st and then once its in the tub shake it around a bit like a soft washing machine

I have used the car wash trick for years. But there is one thing you need to do, run the water on the rinse cycle for about 30 seconds before pointing it at your pack. There is usually a lot of soap left in the line.

I agree with most of the other guys blood is a good thing. If it is a ton as in the bag is red and not camo then that is a different story. Easies way to get the blood ot is soak in cold water. look at my picturs from western Colorado 2011 where I am with the bull they are covered in blood. All I did was when I got home a week later was soak them in cold water all of the blood came out. If that does not get all of it out repeat and add salt to it. More then likely it will all be gone. Ok I just looked the pictures don't show all of the blood but there was when it was all said and done. Here is the link to my post
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/18647.html

+1 to ishoots post, you want COLD water for blood and salty cold water is best.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

I thought I got away clean except a spot in the mesh where his bloody nose was until I pulled it out. One seriously bloody spot in the middle of the bag. I don't mind a little blood stain, but I'm not loving this pack right now and might want to sell/trade it so... Here is what got the pack bloody:

6747384638217093_0_0.jpg

After a successful hunt I soak all my cloths in the tub with some BIZZ washing detergent. After soaking over night I run them through the wash. In your case I would soak with BIZZ over night and rinse with the garden hose.

400bull

I've never washed mine out...always think about it, but never done it!

My Badlands 2200 is covered in blood and doesn't stink at all though, so I don't worry too much about it.

Some of the tips in this thread will come in handy if I ever get around to washing a pack though!

OK, so I filled my wife's tub with cold water lightly salted and threw it in for a few hours. When I came back, the heavily soiled blood spots were basically gone. The cold water made a big difference as the last time I did this with hot water, even with some light scrubbing it didn't come out as clean. Now I just need to wait the 2 days for it to dry. Ready for whitetails now!

Thanks for the help.

Use meat tenderizer on the blood stain it help get out the worse of them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hot water sets blood stains. I learned that from my father who used to own a dry cleaning/laundry establishment. We have always gone to soaking blood stains in cold soapy water which tends to lift the blood right out.

I put my Eberlestock into a big, cold water filled, rubbermaid tote. I scrub the blood stains with a brush, then rinse with a graden hose. Then I hang it to dry.

I'd be a little leary of spraying high pressure water on my pack. You could easily damage the seams and fabric.

You can use Hydrogen Peroxide in a small spray bottle. The peroxide binds with and breaks down the red blood cells so it can be removed from the fabric. Spray it on the area and let it set for a while then use the cold salt bath to remove it all out of the pack fabric. If there is a lot of blood wipe it out after the peroxide has loosened it up first. Then respray it before the bath.

Best advice is to put in in cold water and soak. I use a simple trash can and the garden hose to fill.
Correct, the hot water will set the stain. And the hydrogen peroxide can bleach the pack material and degrade the fabric. I would be very careful of using hydrogen peroxide.

I've soaked my pack even overnight in the water filled garbage can, and then just hang it off a truck mirror to let it dry outside. This isn't a quick fix if you need to use the pack again the next day, but it will completely remove the blood without damaging the pack.
Bill

Use a can or two of coke along with your scent free cleaning detergant in the tub or a big cooler. let it soak for a little, agitate it and rinse

YOU'RE FAT!! DON'T TRY AND SUGAR COAT IT OR YOU WILL EAT THAT TOO!!

Hydrogen Peroxide works on blood stains within materials. Grandmas been using it for years. And she hasnt bleached my clothes with it.

TSX and BFM nailed it.

You guys have been killing me with your ideas on removing blood from clothes and packs. Two words: HYDROGEN PEROXIDE! Use the whole bottle if you have too. It's cheap and it's safe. Soaking in cold water works as well but not as good. Soak it, and use Hydrogen peroxide then soak it again. I usually will dump a little on the blood stain and let it soak for an hour, rinse it and dump a little more on it.

To remove the hydrogen peroxide you just add water. It breaks it down into water due to it's chemical makeup.

I don't think there is any other quality so essential to success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

I don't think there is any other quality
so essential to success of any kind as the
quality of perseverance. It overcomes
almost everything, even nature.
-John D. Rockefeller

It is also the best thing hands down for SKUNK SPRAYS...

1 quart Hydogen Peroxide to
1 tsp of liquid soap.{I use Joy but I dont think it matters.]
And add water from a garden hose.
Mix the soap with the Hydrogine Peroxide.Pour it on the dog.
This doesnt mask the smell like everything else,it kills it right know..So if you can still smell it you missed a spot...

is that a eberlestock x2? you dont like it??? just curious what dont you like?
I got the opportunity to test mine out and i absolutely loved the way it handled the weight! i love mine

Call me crazy, but I've blood soaked my Eberlestock J105 a dozen or more times, pulled out the internal frame bars, headed down to the local laundry mat, and tossed it in a semi-large front loader. Used the gentle cycle with cold water & an odorless detergent. Doesn't seem any worse for the wear, and I think it's good way to get my own sweaty smells out of it as well...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom