Getting a new Spotting Scope... Help!

cmbbulldog

Very Active Member
Ok,

So I am planning on getting a new scope. I have done quite a bit of research, but would like a few more opinions. I will use it for a lot of hunting, some of which will be on backcountry hunts, while others I would use for day trips or even spotting from the road. I also would like to try and get into digiscoping. Just got a new Nikon D 3000, so would like to use that when possible.

Not that I want to pay for it, but I am going to bite the bullet and get a high end scope, just looking for the best deal. I think I am leaning into the 65mm because I would like to take on backcountry hunts, and they seem more manageable and less bulky. Also, from a lot of reading, I am not sure if I would be losing that much from the 80mm. I think I have narrowed down to Swaros and Zeiss. At cameraland, they have Zeiss Diascope 65mm demo for $1200. The Swaro HD is $2050. Both without eye pieces. I know one is a demo, but I have heard the demos at cameraland are still very good. For $800, I am leaning toward the Zeiss? Are the swaro's $800 better? I also would have to obviously get an eyepiece.

I am also leaning to getting the DCM 5.0 for digiscoping. WOuld that work with the Nikon D 3000?

Also leaning towards angled.

Thoughts on any of this? Should I get the 80 or 85mm, or is 65 enough? I am fairly young and want to get one scope one time.

Thanks

i have never looked at zeiss. i have an 80mm swaro non HD. it is amazing. i looked thru the 65 when i bought and the 80 was so much brighter. it doesnt add that much weight. i would get the angled scope no matter which brand you get. the straight just hurts the neck. i don't believe you will go wrong with either brand. if you are taking pictures you may want the HD and bigger objective.

good luck

phillip

Look around you may still be able to find swaro 65 mm ATS out there for around 1400-1500. I picked one up at cabelas a month ago for 1450. It's the non HD, but still pretty amazing.

I didn't feel the 80 mm added enough extra light to compensate for the size and weight increase for the way I like to hunt. Either way I'm sure you will be happy.

cmbbulldog, I assume when you mention the DCM 5.0 that you are talking about the digiscoping camera made by Minox. The DCM is actually a camera set up with various adapters to fit various scopes with both the swarovski and the zeiss being on the list that they make adapters for. So no, it will not work with the Nikon D-3000 as it is also a camera. If you are looking for an adapter for the D-3000 then look at the "scope cam adapter" on the Tines Up website in thier on line store and watch thier video about using thier adapter. The adapter costs $70.00 and is much cheaper than the swarovski DCA adapter which is somewhere in the $250.00 range. I've got the Swarovski DCA and it is a good unit but you cannot get to your zoom adjustment on the scope eyepiece while the camera and adapter are on the scope. The Tines Up adapter allows you to get to the zoom.
I also have the 80mm Swarovski spotting scope in angled and love it. I also have the Nikon D-5000 and have just started playing with digiscoping but do not have enough experience to tell you too much about it. A friend of mine has the 65mm swarovski spotter and has taken lots of video through it and the video is pretty good. It was good enough that the Mule Deer foundation used a lot of his digiscoping video footage on a video they put together. So in my opinion, you can take great pictures through the 65mm. If you are wanting the best quality pictures that you can get through a spotter then you need to get the 80mm in Swaro or Leica or 85mm in Zeiss. Its going to be your personel preference in namebrand and size of objective lens. In my owne personal opinion, the Zeiss is a little fuzzy on the edges and the Swarovski has a greenish tint that some people do not like and the Leica has no down falls that I know of. Good luck and I llok forward to seeing some pictures in the future. fatrooster.

Fatrooster - I had seen your post, and was hoping you would have some input. I got confused with the DCM, so thanks for clearing that up. Was thinking that was the adapter you used. Have you taken any pictures with that setup? I would love to see them. I guess what I want is something that will take nice pics, but my number one goal is to use it for hunting situations, and I am not ammune to going a ways back and camping a few days. SOunds like the 65mm would still give me nice pics and be lite enough to haul around when I bivy. Or I could suck it up and go with the 80!?! Decisions...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom