General Buck Unit, any Help

T

Tinytim

Hello eveyone

Just wanted your input on a general tag unit just to go have a nice buck hunt with family 18" to 20" bucks any help would be great. I plan on getting a general tag if we don't draw Colorado or Nevada. Thanks
Tim

All the units in Idaho will produce young bucks in the 18"-20" range. Depends on what type of country you want to hunt. Hit up google earth and do some research. Most units you just have to hike off the beaten path a ways. I have found that it takes a couple of years of hunting a unit to figure out the deer patterns. I would pick an area and have more specific questions about that area.

+1 matt4695 comments. Idaho is work. No easy family hunt's here for small 4's. We would be glad to have you, just bring some hiking boots and a pack frame.

start on idaho fish and games website. get some general hunt stats from past years. narrow the areas down. then ask questions. idaho has a lot of country. you need to get more specific. i think thats the one thing that upsets people on here (doesnt really bother me). but, too many people just ask too broad of questions.....want to hunt idaho, where should i go? learn a bit and then ask. trust me, it will get you a lot further and save you from getting your a$$ chewed by some of the grumps on here:)

Here are some 2010 general season bucks we took on a southern general unit. Hunted are arses off but ended up connecting on one very nice buck and one decent one. They are there just gotta find em!

3687img_0112.jpg

2857dsc00580.jpg

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Both of those bucks are great! I didn't think there were any good bucks left in Idaho the way everyone talks.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-11 AT 10:26PM (MST)[p]Not that many of those around anymore. But there are still a few here and there.......

Those are a couple dandys. That top buck has gotta stretch to mid 30s. Congrats

You are not gonna find bucks like these everywhere! Especially the top one.... we hunted very hard for 9 or 10 days to find at what level the bucks where. We found that most of the bucks were mid level on the mountain, even with all the pressure most bucks were feeding until 11:00, in thick pine and aspen spotted north slopes. Lots of glassing hours and I would emphasize being patient and using good quality optics.....glassing EVERYTHING

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Wow. First buck is a great buck in any unit and the second buck is a great buck for general season unit. Congrats!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom