Gear List Help - August Moose and Goat Hunt in Northeast BC

C

chad167

Need some advice from seasoned high country guys. Here is my total packing list I put together for a 10 day moose and goat hunt in late August.

Tell me what I'm missing or what you think is overkill. I don't need to bring any food as outitter provides and we will have horses so I don't have to go in bare bones either.

10 day BC Moose and Goat Packing List:

2 Gage 105 liter waterproof roll top duffel bags for packing all gear in and out bush plane and horses.

In my Backpack and/or Saddlebags:

-Sitka Bivy 30 pack
-Leki Trekking poles
-Promaster Tripod w/manfrotto 701 HDV Head
-Swaro 20-60 Spotting scope
-Leica Geovid 10x42 rangefinder binos
-Alaska Creations Bino case
-Delorme GPS w/Spot
-Sat Phone
-Gerber folding saw
-Havalon knife and blades
-First aid/blister kit
-Lighter
-Toilet paper
-Knife sharpener
-Leather man
-Spork
-Bug spray
-Head net
-Earplugs
-Flagging/marking tape
-Eye drops
-Extra batteries (AA and 123)
-Headlamp
-Flashlight
-Parachute cord
-Gun cleaning kit (bore snake, silicon wipe and solvent)
-Rubber gloves
-Wet wipes
-Small Tarp
-Chapstick
-32oz water bottle
-Gun scabbard
-Handkerchief

Clothes:

-2 Sitka timberline pants
-2 Sitka base layer t-shirts
-2 Sitka traverse hoodies
-Sitka kelvin light jacket
-Sitka jetstream jacket
-2 pair Meindl leather boots
-Mtn Hardware Boot Gaiters
-Mtn Hardware gortex gloves
-Sitka Leather gloves
-8 pairs boot socks
-5 liner socks
-Sitka Merino wool stocking cap
-Baseball cap
-2 UA tshirts
-2 UA long underwear
-5 UA boxers
-Camp fleece sweats
-Camp shoes Crocs

For camp/hygiene:

-2 small camp towels/chamois
-small pack foam pillow
-Mountain hardware Sleeping bag 0 degrees
-MSR Water filter
-Extra 32oz Water bottle
-Thermarest Sleeping pad
-Wilderness athlete recovery drink packets and vitamins
-Tooth Brush, Toiletries and medications

Camera gear:

-Nikon DSLR, charger, extra battery and memory cards.
-Spotting scope attachment for camera
-2 GoPro Hero 3/w attachments and charger

Seems like you're bringing more cloths than my wife does for a 2 week vacation. :D I find that after about 3 days, being clean is a relative term. Having clean/fresh cloths is a waste of time, and you really don't notice it once the itching stops.

About the only thing I see as overkill is your cloths.

A typical fly-out trip includes the following cloths lineup.

3x socks (one goes in day pack, one pair always being washed/dried)
2x sock liner (wash/dry one pair each day)
1x pants
light thermal top
heavy thermal top
light thermal bottom
synth t-shirt or similar
3x underwear
rain pants
rain jacket
fleece pull over
puffy jacket
boots
gaiters
light gloves
fleece stocking hat
fleece neck gaiter

If my pants get dirty, I wash them and wear my rain pants while they dry.

Your best bet would be to talk to the outfitter and ask what he thinks you need to bring. You may not need a lot, but if you feel you need it to be safe, then bring it.

IMO, I try to bring as little as possible, less crap means less stuff to worry about in camp and on the hill.

might bring some sun screen, and a small foam pad to sit on.

Good luck on your hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-13 AT 07:30PM (MST)[p]If you are hunting out of a base camp with just a day or 2 spike camp, bring as much gear as you want ie Live comfortably. I assume the goats will be spike camp for a couple of days and then you can just bring a warm jacket and sleeping bag and the clothes you are wearing for the couple days you are after goats. Weather in Northern BC at the end of Aug can be really $hitty with snow and sleet and rain or beautiful with warm sunny conditions. Be prepared for all conditions as it can change drastically from one day to the next. Talk to the outfitter and see if weight is an issue. Most of the time a large string of horses can carry anything you want but if it is a couple riding horses and just a pack mule or 2 weight can be an issue.

Outfitter said recommends 60lbs outside what you're wearing but up to 100lbs was ok. Since I will have a base camp no need to not have a clean pair of socks and underwear every other day. I can tell you from past trips that putting on a new shirt, underwear and socks is a pretty good feeling!

Any one bring crampons with them? I've never used before and unless there was snow and ice not sure of the need.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-13 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]I've never been able to do a "dream hunt" like yours, but I've learned a few things over the years you might be interested in. Concerning carrying a lighter. That's fine, but they can be easily broken and unpredictable. I have started carrying one of those striking magnesium rods. Not the one that must be scraped before striking, but the one that throws a spark while scraping. I steal some of my wife's cotton balls and work a bunch of Vasoline into them. I also work a bunch of Bag Balm into some others. Both catch a spark and flame up very easily, and will burn even if the wind is blowing. The flame lasts for quite a while, giving you plenty of time to work with it. These small balls also work well for medicinal purposes. The bag balm will treat anything from raspy a$$, hymroids, and scrapes and small cuts, etc. Once you have them treated, put them in a small pill bottle. (I wrap them all up in some plastic wrap before putting them in the bottle). It takes only a small part of one cotton ball to start a fire. The knife sharpener I use is attached to the mag rod, and it is designed to also be used as a scraper. Concerning toilet paper... I don't like the fragile nature of toilet paper when out in the woods. I prefer to carry folded up squares of paper towel. (Those blue ones in the mechanics section work great. They are very soft, and you don't need to worry about breaking through or tearing. There is much less chance of getting messy, and they don't leave behind little cling-ons of paper) This is a little talked about subject, but very important when out in the middle of nowhere and trying to keep clean. I also always carry a little pill bottle filled with the extra strength Gold Bond Lotion. We have had a few laughs before on here about it, but it is an absolute life saver when applied to raspy a$$ areas, (your whole crotch, including the outside area of your anus). This is a laughing part, It makes you feel like you just shoved an ice cube up your butt, but it settles down in a few seconds, and makes you feel like you just climbed out of a shower. Try it after your next shower. I use it every day. Hope these are helpful

The 2 items I noticed that are lacking is a fairly large hauling pack and raingear. You asked about raingear in your other post so it sounds like you are still searching. What ever rain gear you select I would make 100% sure that the jacket has pitzips! Since I've tried pitzips I won't buy another rain jacket without them!

Kuiu and Sitka both make great super light, non-bulky, breathable raingear. I've been to AK many times and you will likely spend about 30 to 75% of the time in raingear...so it's worth investing in the best! Rubberized raingear (Helly Hanson) works great if you are sitting in a boat fishing but you'll get wet from the inside out wearing them hiking.

It sounds like you are hunting with horses? Normally I would say you need at least a sturdy 6,000+ cu in pack for hauling gear plus camp/meat. You likely won't be able to get the horses too terribly close to your goat and your guide may need help packing out meat? If so, I would recommend a larger pack!

A pack similar in size to the one you mentioned is nice for "carrying" on the plane...which will likely save you a bunch of extra baggage charges...just make sure it will fit in the overhead! On my last AK trip I "carried on" 60+ lbs. My pack plus a giant camera bag. With all the meat from my mtn goat, black bear hide, and fish I had over 300 lbs that I ended up bringing home. I can't imagine how much it would cost to crate up moose meat and antlers for the trip home! It was pretty expensive..so be prepared!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom