Gear for WY Elk DIY Hunt

B

Blazer

This is my first year elk hunting and would like to get an idea of what gear i should look at for a DIY bow hunt. Any recommendations as to boots, camo pattern / style (scent-lock or breathable), back pack, ect.. I have a friend going with me who has most of the gear for camp, but im looking for advise for gear while up in the mountain that will allow me to be comfortable and able to move quitly for spot and stalk.
Im an avid bow hunter for whitetail and turkey, but that is mainly done from a treestand/blind.
Thanks in advance

Don't skimp on boots or your pack. You'll spend many hours and miles using both of those. Probably will want a nice set of lightweight rain gear to keep with you. I use the heck out of my GPS as well. I'll spend an hour or two in the mornings hiking in the dark and it gives you the ability to go right to the spot you marked without worrying about getting lost.

Lots of other little things in my pack but those are the most important things I can think of.

For me camo pattern dosn't really matter. I like ASAT but scent is more important. I like breathable clothes because I always hike my butt off. A good GPS is huge and boots are always top on my list. I have a Badlands Diablo and that has worked great for me. I agree with good rain gear. I like elk nuts videos and I am sure they have helped. I have hunted elk archery for over 20 years and nothing will help more than time in the woods. You will make a lot of mistakes (I know I still do and so does everbody else I know). Have fun, always try and keep the wind in your face and be aggressive. Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 03:14PM (MST)[p]Just to clarify, I used to think "good" gear was $100 boots and a $100 backpack. Now I'm older and have more money and to me "good" gear is now $300 boots and a $300 backpack. The higher quality gear will pay for itself over the years though.

For boots look at Hanwag, Meindel, Kennetrek, Asolo, Lowa, to name a few.

For backpacks, I use an eberlestock, but badlands are good to. If you want to spend even more money there checkout the Mystery Ranch and Kirafu stuff.

I still haven't been able to convince myself to spring for the Sitka clothes though. Maybe some day I'll look back and wonder why it took me so long to get some.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 11:12PM (MST)[p]A tent heater usually comes in handy in Wyoming, even during the archery hunts.
-- Bob

1645wy_bow_elk_005.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-11 AT 08:33AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-11 AT 08:28?AM (MST)

VERY nice base camp setup ! I would vary what a person needed dependent on rather they are just base camping like this or intend to spike out also , or solely backpack hunting.

Pat C.

If you think you're going slow enough, slow down even more most travel to fast in stalking elk and deer the 15% that kill every year have learn to move slow.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Maxxbob1 I have the same setup as you the bighorn tent with a blue canopy. One of the things I would bring to wyoming is two sets of tire chains If it does rain that mud gets pretty sloppy.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-11 AT 08:20PM (MST)[p]when we go we have horses which helps for packing. we pack for hot weather and snow. so what im trying to say is be preparped for any weather condtion.

the weatherman might say hot hot but there not always right

I live in south carolina and went last year for my first elk hunt with a buddy that lives out in jackson. I have been hunting most things in the south, hogs, black bear and tons of whitetails mostly still hunting or stand. I don't know where your from. Are you going bow? gun? I went gun and here is what helped me get a 6x6 oct 2. if you hunt in the winter your clothes will be fine. Good pack, gps, rain gear, survial gear all essential as your buddy might know his way around but if something happens you need to know how to get out and get help. My day pack weighed about 20lbs fully loaded and not a lot of spare room. The hardest part i had was the following. Living in SC you can run all day long but you can't fake the altitude. I got out 2 days early and it still kicked my ass. 2. Shedding layers, I was out late sept and it was 20-30 at night and 70 and 40pm but climbing in the mornings you sweat bad and if you don't shed you get soaked then your stuck till lunch. First day sucked as i was so wet i couldn't take of my jacket till we got back to camp for lunch. lesson learned. After that still hardest hunt i have ever been on. And btw packing out an elk on foot is not a lot of fun, I told my buddy if we couldn't fit everything in by the last trip i was gonna leave my tent and anything else to get the meat off the mountain. We were 4 miles in. We went in for 3nights at a time and our packs were around 90-100 lbs. the 20 lb day pack doesn't sound like a lot but if your not used to it it weighs like 50 after 3 hrs and 2500 vertical feet. More work than i thought but it was worth for a 6x6 public land bull in the gros ventre.

schunter: glad you got a nice bull $$$$.

I was just wondering??? what did you have in that pack to make its weight 90-100 pounds for a 3 day hunt? You pack'n canned food? and all the water for that 3 day trip? That is one heavy pack...

)))).......>

Pack. 6lb
Tent. 6lb
Day pack full 20-25
Clothes 5
Spare boots 2
Sleeping pad 1
Food 10
Waders and wading boots to cross the river
Gun and ammo 6
Some rope
Sunscreen
Water purifier

Sleeping bag 4
Extra tarp, extra headlamp, battery's baby wipes
Few cans of kodiak

Then a few non essential must have 6 pack of snake river pale ale for after the deed was done

Yea we didn't pack ultra light but we also ha enough to stay a longer if needed
I didn't weigh it but It hurt when we hit 7500-8000ft

The only water carried was about 32 oz each to get there

Six pack snake river pale ale.(after cleaning the sucker a beer never tastes so good

Thanks for the reply. Yeh you seem to take plenty of gear. If your young and strong and your body can handle it GOOD FOR YOU. We take one tent and share saves 6 pounds don't duplicate items with your partner if possible on certain items.

Sounds like the Pale Ale should be doubled and leave the extra boots at the base camp. You can always walk out to change boots and drink the extra ale on the trip back :)

Good Hunt'n

)))).......>

Think about dehydrated food 10 lbs is to much for food.

Also we picked up a couple of camo duffle bags from Cabela's and store some things we want accessible in the back country but not necessary all the way to camp. We put those items in the bags and strap them to the outside of the packs. Then we drop/hide the duffle bags off trail and mark with GPS for day or night access. That way we do not pack all that stuff to back country camp but it is with in a reasonable distance and not back at the truck.

Maybe if you set up something like that for your waders/boots/shoes. You could hide a bag with that stuff once you crossed that river and not pack that additional weight the rest of the way into your in-country camp..just a thought. We also do that with water bottles..setting up a couple of spots inbetween hunting country camp and the truck. Works out great when packing boned out game... to have a little water along the way.

))))......>

Yea I figured we doubled some stuff but I wasn't gonna buy a new tent and spend more $$$$. The second pair of boots were worth it as the first ones got got soaked when I slipped. Funny part was I slipped when I was putting the beer in the river. Lmao at that all the time.

That's funny..but sounds like pack'n the extra boots was necessary. Nice chatting :)

Good Hunt'n

TrophyHunter

)))).......>

something to kill it with, and a knife don't forget the knife I had to smash my brass casing with a rock and use it to clean an animal with once.

I always take "baby wipes" they are a must!

Skip the ale, go with Pendleton transferred to either 2-1 litre or 1-2 liter bottles. More bang for you weight/volume.

I would only pack 100# if I only had to go 1/8th of a mile in max, or if I were packin a 400" bull out any distance. Otherwise 60# max for 5 days.

npaden,the mountaineering type clothing kinda goes along with the mountaineering boots you are recommending... I switched and love them... There are other brands out also and I'm sure more to follow... Remember good insoles and socks... Check out camofire.com, that's where I bought my sitka gear... I will be trying some other brands this year...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-11 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]Quality optics, decent shooting rifle (or bow in your case), tag, good quality pack, knife, and hiking boots.

Rest is fluff...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom