Gas Chain saws.???

R

RACKMASTER

LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-10 AT 11:21PM (MST)[p]Looking to buy one around 20"......occasional use, need to run at 3000/9000 feet.
I don't want to have to ever buy another one again
So costy is ok ...under $500.00
Thinking Stihl Intelacarb MS180 around $340...

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

+1

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I did alot of research on performance and reliability when I bought mine some 12 years ago. I ended up with a 16" Stihl Model 021 to be used strictly for camping firewood. I've bought some acreage since and I now wish I had something larger in the 22 to 24 inch range.

I've used the Stihl extensively in various elevations ranging from the Arizona flatlands to 8300 ft. in my Utah property and I've never had a problem with it. All I've ever done is clean the spark arrestor when performance gets a little sluggish. I normally cut a couple of cords of firewood every year in addition to all my camping and hunting firewood. So far, I've never had to take my saw in for a tune-up or any type of maintenance. I always keep a sharp chain on it.

I would strongly recommend you go with a Stihl or Susquvarna (sp??) and stay away from the $99 dollar spacials at the home improvemnt stores.

The MS-180 will be way underpowered with a 20" bar, it's only rated at 2 horse power. I have an MS-290 with an 18" bar and it came stock at 3.8 horse. My local dealer tuned it and pulled the emissions off and it runs much stronger now. I really like my Stihl but when I get a bigger saw it will be a husky. They have better motor mounts and vibrate less.

I got my ms290 for $379 and that was with a free hardcase. I saw them at that price last year as well so look around. You should be able to buy something bigger than the ms180 for that price.

Wow!
Man up & buy a mans saw RACKMASTER,
Stihl 066 MAGNUMS or bigger work well.
When Chicks are lookin for goods,they don't settle for walnuts when they can have Avacado's do they?

Buy an 046 Stihl or a 372 Husky....plenty of power and light..both handle a 20 to 26 inch bar and will cut thru 12 to 20 inch stuff like butter if you run full comp chisel bit chain and you can file it will a round file. One important factor everyone misses when filing your chain make sure to knock down the rakers with a flat file every second sharpening..

MAN UP!LMAO....
Ok man up now looking at a ms 290...
heck its only a camp saw but bigger is better and a can use to down some walnut trees for home fireplace wood...I rented that saw!!
thanks guys!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

RACK, get the Stihl 880 Magnum with the 59" bar. That way if you ever camp up here in the Redwood National Park, you can cut down one of the old growth trees. (after the Ranger goes to bed of course).

I have the MS 180 for cutting up mill trim ends (4X4" and 4X6", etc. mostly). It's been a pretty good saw, but I did have carberator issues. A new carb was $100. The bigger saws are better.

Longun used to do it for a living, so I would probably go that route now.

Eel

Longun's advice in post #5 is spot on...The Husky 372 is the best all around saw ever made.. I have had Stihl's but the Husky is a much better saw in my opinion...I have a Husky that has cut at least 100 cords of wood + various other chores...Only thing I have replaced on it is chains and another bar..

Also good advice about filing down the dogs every couple of sharpenings...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-10 AT 11:38AM (MST)[p]Running a chainsaw was my job for many years. I owned stihl saws, everything from the old 38 magnum to the 066 to the 046. All performed flawlessly until they were just worn out. I don't know about the smaller saws. The last one I bought, the 046, would probably last the summer firewood cutter forever if properly maintained and quality gas, mix and oil are used, but it's a bit more than your $500 limit.
I've heard that the husky saws are good but I've never run one. They always seemed to be heavier/power than stihls.

Both here and before while living down below, i sold over a 100 cords every year, probably, for a good 20 years or so. The best saw i ever had was the first new one that i bought, a Sthil 042 super. That thing lasted me 6-8 years and aside from a new bar and chains from time to time, it was a steady eddie. I gave it away to a guy who asked about it at a yard sale we had because i just couldn't do it wrong by asking money for it... It had done it's job. I'm not up on all the #'s anymore but that 032-038 size is a good one and my pick for your needs. Not too big but can do a days work if the stuff ain't too big.

I ran about half a dozen Husky saws, both the 394 and 372's. Powerful saws with fast chain speed. Might be bigger than you're looking for but they can flat cut!!! With a good sharp chain, they'll scare a guy!!! Pioneer used to make a good saw too and i burned up a few of those. I liked the 32 and 36" bars with the bigger saws. Longer bars are easier on the back when wood getting. The work is hard enough, when looking for a wood saw, 28" bar would be as short as i'd go.

Joey

SMACKDADDY!
Buy a Mans Saw will ya?
GEEZUS!
You gonna cut wood or Frick around?
This is a REAL Saw,880 Stihl
6781340113114_ade3fa5dd7.jpg

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

Look on Baileysonline. com. the Makita dsc 6401, a 20 inch bar and its about 500 dollars.on sale its made in Gemany has 4.7 hp and my friend who has cut plenty of logs says its the nicest one he has ever owned

You guys are going to laugh! I really needed a chainsaw about 10 years ago. All I could afford was about a hundred bucks so I bought a poulan from ace. I'm very impressed with it! Still runs great after a lot of abuse. I cut down a huge cottonwood tree in my yard and cut it up for firewood to give away. 2 huge chinese elm trees and cut them up for firewood. Its bounced around in the back of my truck on the mtn. Cut up firewood for camping and I don't know how many cords of wood for people that couldn't afford to buy it. (Donated from the church). Its been dropped, thrown, a tree fell on it and it still runs and cuts great! For me and the way this saw has been when it finally dies I will spend another hundred bucks and do it all over again!
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Poulan is a good saw, no doubt about it. I had one years ago and was amazed.

piper, that's a cool site. I didn't know Makita made gas chainsaws. They ought to be good.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-10 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-10 AT 11:42 AM (MST)

When you make a living with a saw, you learn what will stay out of the saw shop. You may notice there is only one brand in the above pictures.
Our fallers ended up with Stihl. On the landing, we went thru Mac, Homelite, Poulan, Junkred, and Husky.

What ever saw you choose, wear chaps. Yes they're heavy and hot but using a little saw is really a good way to walk into the bar and cut your leg half off. They kick back easy, just lots of potential problems.

Be smart and pay attention, there are Bulls to kill this fall.

You're BULLSHIPPIN us right justr?
Poulan?LMMFAO!}>}>}>
I own:
1-STIHL
1-HUSQVARNA
1-JONSRED
1-f'n HOMELITE (found it out in the cedars a couple years ago while cuttin trees for dedicated hunter hours/time and advertised it here on MM but even the Owner wouldn't claim it,lol!)
Yes,you might say I have a "Loner" now.
Not knockin your saw justr,but a good saw will cost you more than 100.00,lol!
If SMACKDADDY lived a little closer I'd lone him that Homelite,permanently!

You guys know why they are called Poulan right?

Cuzz when they won't start you pull an pull an pull an.............!

If I were to buy a saw, even if it were just a camp saw I would go with a stihl 360, but if your going to use it quite often get a 440. They are both great saws and will last forever. I run an inmate crew and thats what we train them on and have them use and you figure the abuse from a hundred different retards that have never ran saw before and these saws still run great, its worth the money. The 360 (use to be 036) is real good because its light and has plenty of power. But I think the 440 ( 044) is the way to go.

well see how much I really spend after the Wy draw results are posted ......
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Rack..back in my days of working for a living I was a Stihl man...first 075 then 045,056 and finally 066..and like sage said ran a 36 in, bar all the time unless in big wood and ran a 42. Here's a pic over in sage's country in "82" Nice Yellow Pine Country(Ponderosa Pine).

4107westwood_timber.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom