Garmin GPS Maps

Jq23

Hey,

I'm just wondering if anyone has bought maps for their GPS. If so, do you like them and where is the best place to buy them? I want to get a few for my GPS before this fall. I want to get one for Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming and Utah.

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-14 AT 07:35PM (MST)[p]I went right through the company itself and am registered directly with them for available updates, etc. I only have the Wyoming chip, but now they have multi-state chips available that you can take advantage of. I found them to be within 15' as far as accuracy on boundary lines, corners, etc, and wouldn't be without it in any area where there might be the slightest chance of a trespassing issue. Here's their website so you can check out all they have and buy what you need:

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

I have the Utah hunting maps chip off my Garmin and it was very helpful on my Pauns hunt in 2012, not so much on my brother's Wasatch hunt this last year.

We hunted differently on each and that account for the difference in utility. It was worth its weight in gold on my deer hunt, though.

I bought the WY one from Wyoming Game and Fish, and paid a little more. My thought was if I had a problem with a landowner, law enforcement, etc, I could tell the Judge it was issued by the state and maybe get some play.

I had one landowner approach us "aggressively" while we were eating lunch on the tail gate and letting the dogs run while antelope hunting. Initially he told us we were on private land. We were on a gravel county road with BLM on the right side and we were pulled over on the right side. I calmly walked to the cab of the truck, reached in and pulled out my GPS and questioned his assertion. His tone changed immediately. He told me they leased that land and guided on it. He told me about another spot that bordered the other side of his land. We took 2 respectible goats in that area.

The Garmin GS maps are worth their weight in gold as far as I'm concerned if you're hunting near private.

I bought the Wyo map chip this past year for my lope hunt. Worked great and kept us off the private. I am going the get one of the multi-state chips for hunts in NM & Colo this year as landowner names are not that important to my hunts. I just need to know where the boundaries are.

Phantom, I agree the landowners names have never been that important to me either. But for the minor, additional cost, my thought is why not.

On second thought, same year in Wyoming, we had access to a private ranch in Unit 7 for elk. 2 sides were other private property, one relatives with the same last name. The maps option kept us on the right ranch.

Plus, someday I might be inclined to call a landowner, or know their name before I approach them. Doubt I'd ever ask for permission to fill my tag but some people may be more sympathetic to allow a woman or kid to hunt their property.

Califelkslayer, the cost difference is quite significant, $99 per state with names, $99 for multiple states with no names. I guess which one is best for an individual depends on where and what they hunt. I Wyo for lopes I have the state chip with names although I have not needed the names. In Colo and NM I doubt I would need landowner names as I mostly hunt NF and BLM. Bottom line whichever chip fits your style best they are worth the money.

Absolutely priceless tool. Especially in Colorado where landowners don't need to post their land. I went through the company as well, only because I wanted the latest version and the local stores had last years.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-14 AT 11:28AM (MST)[p]People should be aware that the company is changing it's name to "OnXmaps", but the website link in my post #1 will get you there and the products we're talking about will be the same.