Garmim 655T ?

BIGJOHNT

Long Time Member
Anyone using the new garmin radios yet ? Look for some feed back. I may go and pick one up. But I have only played with them in the store . One of my old rhinos went out this last year. Only have one 520 left, need to get another. They have some cool neat sruff on them. Lets hear your take on them
John

Garmin took a couple steps forward and a lot of steps backwards. I wish they just gave the 530 birdseye imagery capability. I have never had issues with the 530. I wish I could say the same about the 655T.

Pros:
The user interface, touchscreen, built in base maps, birdseye capability, wireless sharing, texting capability are all really cool.

Here's the cons:
I had to return the 1st unit I had because it only worked for a week and then wouldn't turn on. It wouldn't even give me a charging screen. I returned it and they sent me a new one.

It's got battery issues. First of all it's a battery hog. Goes pretty fast compared to the 530.

The battery randomly malfunctions. It has left me high and dry twice. I left it in the truck for two days with an 80% battery, got to where I needed it and it wouldn't turn on like the battery was dead. Another time I was using it, turned it off with 73% battery, went to turn it on an hour later, and it wouldn't turn on. It did the same thing yesterday. When I plugged it into the charger it said 66% battery but still wouldn't turn on. I pulled the battery and put it back in, and then it said it was dead. Most of the time it works fine but seems to randomly die when you need it most. It's not just my unit. I have a buddy with the same problems.

The radio is not very good. There has been times where I could see my partner less than a mile away and I could hear him, but he couldn't hear me. There are 1/2 watt channels and 5 watt channels. The 1/2 watt channels are useless unless you're 10 feet away. The 530 seemed to work a lot better even with terrain in between.

Accessories are limited. There is no case for it or car charger. There is a car power cable, but it doesn't charge the unit. It just runs off of the car power.

I would stick with the earlier units until Garmin works out the bugs. I expected a lot more for $600.

So far so good for me. I had the 650 and then decided to upgrade to the 655t because they went on sale. I have only used mine twice since I purchased it. It sounds like I need to use it more to make sure mine doesn't have any bugs. I have heard similar issues like the ones mentioned by polar_bear. There is no case which is very frustrating, and the clip and caribeaner it comes with is merely worthless.

I picked one up on tuesday. Went back on the 4th and got the 24k southwest topo maps for it. Any tips from you that already got one ?

Use it! I put a screen protector on mine. I wish they had a case for it because I hate the caribeaner and clip that comes with it.

I got a couple of the 650s last year, because I did'nt really want the camera option on the 655. The Birdseye imagery works fine on mine. I think they are very user friendly compared to the older ones.

The Garmin 655t is the ticket. Has several options that earlier versions don't have as well as more than others in the 600 series. I did a review on the garmin 655t GPS with a video showing the features on my blog at : [a href="http://www.bestforhunting.com/2011/11/garmin-rino-655t-review/"]Garmin Rino 655t GPS Review[/a]

Snow Canyon Outfitters in St. George will make you a very nice leather case for it. If you want contact info, I would be happy to give it to you.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-08-12 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]Go to his website, he doesn't have one specifically for your unit, but he has some for the Garmin Astro dog tracking unit. He would easily make one for you. I've been using him for my leather work for years, as have most people in the bird dog, and horse world. I had him make me a custom scabbard for a model 94 lever action, to attach to my saddle, it is a work of art. He is a good friend of mine, as well.
www.snowcanyonoutfitters.com

Shummy, I checked out his site. Looks like he does a real nice job. I am going to use it a bit and deside what I need. Plus he is close to home.;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom