Gamey tenderloin

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I found a package of antelope tenderloin in my freezer that was from 2009. I fried it as I always do, in a pan with butter and onions. It was quite gamey. I have never had antelope that was quite that gamey before. I'm wondering if it being in the freezer that long was the reason for it? Any thoughts? Note that it was vaccuum sealed....no air what-so-ever.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

GEEZUS Wisz!

Took almost 2 years to forget what Prairie Goats taste like Huh?

You ever wonder why Ms Wisz had it buried that deep?

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON May-10-11 AT 04:12PM (MST)[p]NOT FAIR.

I thought you were posting some pics of a sweatty female volleyball player.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

1025594725_xcrFM-M.jpg

1025499016_G6X6J-M.jpg

I keep telling ya, once you start having all your antelope turned into jalepeno cheese salami you will want two tags a year.

feddoc.......I am rolling on the floor here! That is classic!

Catchin' Wiz.....with gamey tenderloin! Who knew?

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Typically the antelope I shoot (same area in WY) aren't gamey. I know they have a bit of a different taste than deer, B_BOPPER, but for some reason this particular package was gamey. I still ate it....just needed more onions!

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

By any chance did you shoot this antelope like stinky shoots? Scare it a few times first and then gut shoot it?

LAST EDITED ON May-11-11 AT 00:20AM (MST)[p]The problem with the Filets is that they are located within the abdominal cavity, and are subject to the adverse conditions that CAN occur there...not sayin you gut shot the beast; my guess would be that they were just blood-soaked, and blood don't 'age' too well under ANY circumstances. Also, they are a relatively tiny muscle that can warm up quite quickly if left on the carcass in less than ideal conditions. And once the 'game' has gotten started, it don't ever stop...even if vacuum sealed and put in the deep freeze

I don't know the details about your kill, but its generally best to remove them tenderloins immediately, rinse and dry em, cool em down, and eat them sooner than later

Here's a tip for tenderloins or any other piece of meat that was in contact with stomach or urine matter... Wipe off the area with white vinegar.. The tenderloins are the first piece of meat I cut out of an animal and I always wipe them down with vinegar before cooking or bagging.. I try and always carry white vinegar back at camp while hunting..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom