Game quarter bags?

W

WidowMaker223

Anybody tried multiple brands of quarter bags (muley or elk size)? I have used the disposable ones by Allen & they were all right but I thought there may be a better option. I know Allen makes a canvas reusable style & mossy oak makes some, so does alaska game bag, I have also heard of people using pillow cases. Can you guys recommend a strong,cheap,breathes good type of game bag.

I use the canvas type bags for elk. They are about 10-15$ each (I think) I have had mine for years and they have been well used. They still hold up great. Take care of them and they will take care of you. I sew up any holes from bone puntures after the trip, wash them in a commercial washing machine (used the washing machine at the house and the wife threw a fit about the smell). I also use the cheap deer bags you can get at walmart just to get the meat covered (a quarter at a time for elk) until I can get the meat back to camp and transfer it into the canvas bags and get it hanging in a tree.

I use pillow cases. Cheaper ones are thinner and lighter and still tough enough for the job. There are some game bags out there that are lighter weight and will get the job done.

I've had great luck with the Remington quarter bags. I've washed a reused a few more than once and they're still in good shape. Not bad for $8 for four bags. Alaska bags are good, too.

I have used LOTS of them. On pack in hunts and when I really need a durable bag, I use Caribou Game Bags. They make lots of varieties, and types.
I think you can buy them online at: http://www.biggamebags.com/

A pillow case is a very good option if you have an old one laying around, and do not want to buy something.

Good luck.

I, too have had good luck with the Alaskan Game Bag but we have used some homemade ones more than any other. Most fabric stores will have a good quality muslin material in an off white color. Have wife/mother or someone sew up some bags with draw strings that are about 4 1/2 to 5' long and about 2' wide. They will hold a whole deer or an elk quarter. Ours have been used to pack meat out or horses and hang quarters in the tree until time to leave camp. Some good soap and a little bleach once home and they are good to go again. Some of ours have seen use over 10-12 trips and are still good to go.

Thanks alot for the advice guy's! I knew I could count on monster muleys for some real world torture testing.

Horn Hunter has some killer meat bags. Look on there website under the Horn Hunter packs link, they are called "meat bags" suppose to be pretty good.
At first they were called "meat sacks" but they changed the name. Probably because they were a little awkward to google....... just sayin'

+1 on Phantom Hunter's suggestion. We have been using unbleached muslin bags for years. When you are finished using the bag, soak it in cool water to release the blood and throw it in the washing machine using regular detergent and bleach just like you were washing a load of white sheets. Can't get any cheaper than that.

Everyone in my elk camp (6 guys) uses the white, washable, cotton type sold by Sportmans warehouse... never had a problem with them at all. They have two sizes and the elk size bag is approx. $10 I have four and only use three for all the meat I get off an elk.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom